Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Urgent. Need help with satellite server please

Please help. I am a newbie to the ZCM 11 and needed help with setting up satellite server with Suse Linux Enterprise Server 11. Our ZCM 11 server is running on SUSE Linux 11 and I'm trying to get a separate SUSE Linux 11 machine to be the Satellite server but can't get it to work. I had downloaded the Zenworks Adaptive Agent for Linux from the ZCM server and installed on the SUSE machine, but it won't register into the ZCC. When I ran the command "zac reg http://server_IP_Address" I get the error message "Unknown error while communicating with Zenworks Management Daemon." If I open the ZENworks Window, I get the error "The ZENworks Service does not appear to be running. Please restart the service and try your request again." I had spent several hours searching online but couldn't get a real solution to the issue. In addition to setting up the Satellite servers, we are also having issue with imaging to/from the server from different VLANs. Maybe this issue will be resolved once the Satellite servers are in placed. We are only a month away before school starts again and I must get this working so we can start imaging the computers. Please help. Thanks in advance.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

1. Make sure the OS on which you are trying to install the satellite is a supported OS (including service pack)
2. Restart the agent service /etc/init.d/novell-zenworks-xplatzmd and check for any errors in zmd-messages.log under /var/opt/novell/zenworks/logs/Localstore
3. Run zac zc to see if zac commands are running as well as to verify zone details (perform this after step 2)
4. Check if server is running on a different port. In this case, the "zac reg" command must also contain the port information as below:
"zac reg http://<server ip>:<port>"
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Please have a look at ZENworks agent on Linux fails to log, zac throws error, zicon throws error

Once a while we have seen problems with the ZCM agent service trying to read the image safe data.

Regards,
Ingo
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the help but issue remain unsolved. The OS on the satellite server is a Suse Linux Enterprise Server 11 with 64 bit. That should be support under ZCM 11. I restarted the ZEN Agent and looked for the log file but there was no directory called logs in the zenworks directory. Instead, there is a file called novell-zenworks-xplatzmd.out which I think might be the log file. Looking at the file, everything else is commented out except the following lines:

In load
XPlat Daemon starting with following arguments
-configuration
/opt/novell/zenworks/zmd/java/lib/configuration
Loaded native library.
Native library is loaded.
GetDeviceGuid not trying guid.txt
GetGuidFromServerGuidFile returned null.
Native library is loaded.

When I ran the zac zc command I get the error: Unknown error while communicating with ZENworks Management Daemon.
I ran the command zac reg http://10.16.1.15:80 and also getting the same error as above.

Despite all of this, I am able to ping the ZCM server just fine from this satellite server. What could I have done wrong?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks a ton for the link. I am able register the the server now after changing the "UseImageSafeData=False". You just make my day start fresh again.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.