Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Using the ZENworks Cleanup Tool

I have a WS that has a ZCM 11.4.3 agent in an unusable state. If I try to uninstall the agent from Programs and Features, I get a GPF almost immediately. So I thought I would use the ZENworks Cleanup Tool for 11.4.3. I downloaded the tool, extracted and ran it and this is where I ran into problems.

All I have installed on the WS is the plain ZCM agent. I don't have ZESM or ZENworks Full Disk Encryption installed. However, when I check the box to 'Uninstall ZENworks Agent', it automatically checks the box to 'Uninstall Location Awareness and ZESM options' and 'Uninstall ZENworks Full Disk Encryption'. I can't uncheck these boxes at this point. I assume these are the components that need to have the administrative password for uninstallation.

Then it wants ZENworks Uninstall Authentication. I don't want to pay for a service call to get a support key and I never specified an 'Administrative Password' when the agent was installed originally! I never specified a ZENworks Agent uninstall password, ZENworks Agent override password or ZFDE Administrative password. I don't know where in the ZCC you would do that.

How can I use the tool if I don't have either of these? All I want to do is to remove the malfunctioning ZENworks agent, what am I missing?

Thanks,

Dan
Labels (2)
0 Likes
17 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Using the ZENworks Cleanup Tool

I don't believe this will work, but you try it anyway.........

Go to ZCC->Configuration and look straight down the very far left hand side.
You will see a "Password Generator".

If I recall, this only helps with FDE not the Cleanup Tool, but you can try.

Other than that, I'm not sure you would be able to use the tool then w/o help from support.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Craig, I looked at that and it seems to me this would only work if the ZCM agent was working properly. My ZCM 11.4.3 agent is in a broken state. I don't see how generating a key with a a password here will get communicated to the WS on which I want to uninstall the agent. Anyway I generated a key with a password then tried putting that in for the 'Use Support Key Information' option of the ZENworks cleanup tool but it comes back with the "The password entered did not match acceptable values. Please try again."

So just to be clear, the ZENworks Clean-up Tool will ONLY work IF you had created an administrative password initially before installing the agent, right? Or if you pay for a support incident for them to give you their secret key and password. If this is the case, it doesn't seem to be very useful.

Also, assume that I generated a key with a password using the generator. Where do I use this when installing the agent so that the agent knows about this???

Thanks,

Dan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Everybody,

I only write if somesthing have this problem with the tool.
You don't need to set a password what is syncronizing with the working or non-working agent.
You need to generate a code when you set a password and expiration day.
When you run the tool on the workstation, you choose the "Use SUpport Key" at "ZENworks Uninstall Authentication", add the generated code for the "Key", and add the password what you set in the generator to the "Password".
Let's push the Start button, and after a long time it shows a message to reboot the machine.
(First uninstall the FDE, second the ZESM, and third the Agent. Sometimes you can see that the tool "Not Responding", but it is working.)

It is worked for me on 2017 u1 version.

Gergely
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gergely, the issue is that I have to open and pay for a support incident in order to get the password and Key. That is the problem and it is not clear in the documentation that the only way to make use of the tool is to get support to generate the password and key. So you download the tool, do the install and then spend a lot of time trying to figure out why you can't get the ZENworks cleanup tool to work.

Dan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

To use the tool w/o needing a Key Provided by Support is to configure an "uninstall password" which can be supplied to the cleanup tool.
--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Craig, I found the place in ZCC where I set the uninstall agent password. I don't understand the difference between the "uninstall password" and the "override password". They look like they both do the same thing. I read the help but it didn't clear things up. What is the purpose of the "override password"?

Thanks,

Dan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Over-Ride lets you over-ride some ZESM Settings on a temporary basis.
You need to set the passwords before the system is broken, so they are on the device.
After the fact will not help......
Then provide that password to the cleanup tool to authorize its removal.
--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So if I'm not using ZESM, then I don't need the override password, correct? Or would it be best to set one in case in the future I implement ZESM?

dan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I would recommend setting one, regardless if you use it or not.. better to be prepared.

Also ZESM is installed in part as part of the main agent, regardless if it's actually used (correct me if I'm wrong).

Help Documentation available from ZCC:

An override password can be used in the ZENworks Adaptive Agent to:

Access information about the device’s current location and how the location was assigned.

Access the Administrative options in the Endpoint Security Agent. These options let you disable the currently applied security policies (with the exception of the Data Encryption policy), view detailed policy information, and view agent status information.

Access the Administrative options in the Full Disk Encryption Agent. These options let you view detailed policy information, view agent status information, and perform functions such as

Uninstall the ZENworks Adaptive Agent.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dchunt,

the ZESM drivers are present, regardless...

--

Shaun Pond
when I'm not in the forums, I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows
deployment easy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You can select Location Lite, which if you are not running ZESM, will result in the ZESM drivers not loading.
For Location, the only real loss is that "Lite" cannot detect the SSID of your Wireless connection for use in determining your location. (Rarely used feature...)
The Speed of Detection difference is imperceptible.......
--
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.