pam_a Absent Member.
Absent Member.
3530 views

WGP Set Local Administrator account password

I'm looking for help on creating a policy to change the Local Administrator account password on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Vista.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pam
ZCM 10.1.3
Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: WGP Set Local Administrator account password

Put a Script in your GPO (or a bundle) that runs "NET USER ADMINISTRATOR
My_New_Password

"pam a" <pam_a@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:pam_a.3o7w60@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> I'm looking for help on creating a policy to change the Local
> Administrator account password on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Vista.
>
> Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Pam
> ZCM 10.1.3
>
>
> --
> pam_a
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> pam_a's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=16450
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=362037
>



0 Likes
pam_a Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: WGP Set Local Administrator account password

Craig Wilson;1742969 wrote:
Put a Script in your GPO (or a bundle) that runs "NET USER ADMINISTRATOR
My_New_Password

"pam a" <pam_a@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:pam_a.3o7w60@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> I'm looking for help on creating a policy to change the Local
> Administrator account password on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Vista.
>
> Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Pam
> ZCM 10.1.3
>
>
> --
> pam_a
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> pam_a's Profile: NOVELL FORUMS - View Profile: pam_a
> View this thread: WGP Set Local Administrator account password - NOVELL FORUMS
>

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your quick response!

I created a batch file with "NET USER ADMINISTRATOR New_Password".
I created a WGP and modified the GPO to run the batch file on "Startup".
The batch file is being pushed to the Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup folder. However, the Administrator password has not been changed.
I have shutdown and powered back on the computer but the password still isn't changed.

I'm not thrilled that it caches the batch file locally, leaving the local administrator password visible to users.

Any insight?

Thanks

Pam
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: WGP Set Local Administrator account password

I actually use AutoIt (http://www.hiddensoft.com)
It's real simple to use and can convert your script to an EXE so folks can't
snoop.
not sure why the Script is not running there.

"pam a" <pam_a@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:pam_a.3o84i3@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> Craig Wilson;1742969 Wrote:
>> Put a Script in your GPO (or a bundle) that runs "NET USER ADMINISTRATOR
>> My_New_Password
>>
>> "pam a" <pam_a@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
>> news:pam_a.3o7w60@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>> >
>> > I'm looking for help on creating a policy to change the Local
>> > Administrator account password on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Vista.
>> >
>> > Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Pam
>> > ZCM 10.1.3
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > pam_a
>> >

>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > pam_a's Profile: 'NOVELL FORUMS - View Profile: pam_a'

>> (http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=16450)
>> > View this thread: 'WGP Set Local Administrator account password -

>> NOVELL FORUMS' (http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=362037)
>> >

> Hi Craig,
>
> Thanks for your quick response!
>
> I created a batch file with "NET USER ADMINISTRATOR New_Password".
> I created a WGP and modified the GPO to run the batch file on
> "Startup".
> The batch file is being pushed to the
> Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup folder. However,
> the Administrator password has not been changed.
> I have shutdown and powered back on the computer but the password still
> isn't changed.
>
> I'm not thrilled that it caches the batch file locally, leaving the
> local administrator password visible to users.
>
> Any insight?
>
> Thanks
>
> Pam
>
>
> --
> pam_a
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> pam_a's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=16450
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=362037
>



0 Likes
pam_a Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: WGP Set Local Administrator account password

Craig,

Thanks for the link.

I downloaded and installed AutoIt. Created an au3 file and converted that to the exe.

Modified my Policy and removed the batch file and added the exe file.

Restarted the computer... and presto... it worked.

Again... thanks for your help!

Pam
0 Likes
Highlighted
jchipman
New Member.

Re: WGP Set Local Administrator account password

Why the need for autoit? Can't you just run the script in a bundle directly without requiring a batch file? I have that exact process in place. And it works pretty well

Bundle action = Run Script
script is as you specified in the batch file
path to engine = cmd.exe
engine parameters = /c
set to run as SYSTEM

Launch during client refresh

Nothing left behind that's intelligible to the user
jchipman
New Member.

Re: WGP Set Local Administrator account password

OK, well I guess there is the log that they could read 😐
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: WGP Set Local Administrator account password

Let's just say, I could get that password and it would not involve any
hacking or a high degree of skill.
Depends on the level of security you would need and level of trust of the
users. (School vs office Professionals etc...)

"jchipman" <jchipman@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:jchipman.3o8pc0@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> Why the need for autoit? Can't you just run the script in a bundle
> directly without requiring a batch file? I have that exact process in
> place. And it works pretty well
>
> Bundle action = Run Script
> script is as you specified in the batch file
> path to engine = cmd.exe
> engine parameters = /c
> set to run as SYSTEM
>
> Launch during client refresh
>
> Nothing left behind that's intelligible to the user
>
>
> --
> jchipman
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> jchipman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=28521
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=362037
>



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.