Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

WinPE imagex message "Imagex reported back an error"

Jump to solution

I am attempting to get WinPE imaging established. Running ZCM 2020 on SLES11.4.  Imaging is 64-bit only (imagex64).

Everything looks good on the ZCM configuration side and clients boot and launch into WinPE just fine, however, I am getting a generic error message "Imagex reported back an error" when trying to do any image work.

I have tried imaging to a local USB drive and server, getting same error.

I have tried re-uploading imagex

I believe it is seeing/communicating with the server.  If I purposely put in wrong server credentials it comes back "could not connect to remote share".

Does anyone know how I can further troubleshoot this?  Is there any logs writing these events or additional troubleshooting avenues?

Thanks much!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: WinPE imagex message "Imagex reported back an error"

Jump to solution

Using WinPE has nothing to do with using ImageX.  ZCM fully supports all the traditional IMG commands from the WinPE command prompt.  Do not confuse using "WinPE" as the PXEBoot Environment instead of "Linux" as being anything more than that.  ZCM imaging still works as it always has with the same commands.

Going WinPE does not mean stopping the use of .ZMG Files.

The core differences will be that any scripting will need to a Windows Scripting language instead of a Bash Script.  The docs cover how to add in items such as Powershell to add more scripting functionality.

Make sure to sign up for the upcoming Webinars....

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/ZENworks-Tips-Information/Q1-2020-ZENworks-Community-Webinars-Announcement/ta-p/2754682

The one on April 2nd will be the one of more interest to you, as that will be more about doing what you have always done....Just swapping the PXEBOOT OS.

The one on March 12th will discuss some different ways of doing Imaging with WinPE than what you are doing now, but even that will not involve ImageX.

Here is a great video that should be useful....

https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/7477/330712/switching-from-zenworks-linux-based-imaging-to-winpe-based-imaging  (You can sign up for free)

Watching the whole video would be recommended, but if you jump abound the 35 minute mark, it starts getting more into hands on demo. 

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Any particular reason you are trying to use ImageX instead of ZCM Imaging?

All the traditional "IMG" commands are available and functional in WinPE with ZCM.

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

I am attempting to using WinPE to avoid the multitude of drive issues with Linux imaging and new hardware.  

Perhaps I am going down the wrong path?  Everything I'm hearing is promoting the use of 3rd party WinPE w/ ZCM rather than traditional imaging...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Using WinPE has nothing to do with using ImageX.  ZCM fully supports all the traditional IMG commands from the WinPE command prompt.  Do not confuse using "WinPE" as the PXEBoot Environment instead of "Linux" as being anything more than that.  ZCM imaging still works as it always has with the same commands.

Going WinPE does not mean stopping the use of .ZMG Files.

The core differences will be that any scripting will need to a Windows Scripting language instead of a Bash Script.  The docs cover how to add in items such as Powershell to add more scripting functionality.

Make sure to sign up for the upcoming Webinars....

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/ZENworks-Tips-Information/Q1-2020-ZENworks-Community-Webinars-Announcement/ta-p/2754682

The one on April 2nd will be the one of more interest to you, as that will be more about doing what you have always done....Just swapping the PXEBOOT OS.

The one on March 12th will discuss some different ways of doing Imaging with WinPE than what you are doing now, but even that will not involve ImageX.

Here is a great video that should be useful....

https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/7477/330712/switching-from-zenworks-linux-based-imaging-to-winpe-based-imaging  (You can sign up for free)

Watching the whole video would be recommended, but if you jump abound the 35 minute mark, it starts getting more into hands on demo. 

--

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution
Thanks very much for all the helpful info!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

And the following comment is not really directed towards your issues, but others may be confused.

"Imaging is 64-bit only (imagex64)."

Even if you are deploying a 32-bit version of Windows, you would still use the 64-bit imaging.  In short, the PXE server detects your hardware, not installed OS, and boots 32-bit vs 64-bit.  In regards to physical hardware, any device that is less than 14 years old almost certainly ships with a 64-bit Processor and BIOS/UEFI that reports itself as 64-bit so it will boot the 64-bit version of WinPE as it now boots the 64-bit version of Linux.

There were a few ultra low end devices a few years ago that shipped with 2gb of RAM and a 32-bit UEFI with 64-bit processors that would in theory need 32-bit PXE, but even at that time the performance of those devices were so bad they tended to never be deployed beyond an initial trial.

The one place it gets interesting is if you use VMware and configure the device to use "BIOS" instead of "UEFI".  ZCM will detect that as a 32-bit system versus 64-bit system if using PXE.  If using VMware PXE Imaging with the devices set to "BIOS" instead of UEFI, I would recommend using a virtual "Boot.iso" instead of PXE for the VMware Machines, since that will allow it to boot 64-bit as all of your physical devices.

For the vast majority of customers, there is never any need to upload any WinPE environment other than the latest 64-bit Windows 10 WinPE.  Nor is there ever a need to upload any version of ImageX.

Note: To allow VMware BIOS machines to boot using 64-bit WinPE, I have seen some customers trick the system by placing 64-bit WinPE boot files where the 32-bit ones normally go.  However, sticking with a virtual ISO will keep the deployment more aligned with supported configurations.

--
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.