Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows 10 Update process?

I have asked this same question in Windows 10 forums outside of this site and haven't received a good answer or option yet. Hoping I might find an answer here.

I have a Bundle that is attempting to update windows 10, typically 1511 or 1607 to 1703 or 1709. I have a network folder that is mapped and the setup.exe used with /auto upgrade to start the update process. I have received two different failure reasons when attempting to update windows 10. First is Failure on 1st boot, typically this one was due to my AntiVirus. The other one is referencing Migrating Data. I can't seem to figure out what is complaining about or if there is an app it doesn't like. I have a few of my systems upgrade with no issues but the majority seem to fail.

I hate to re-image or run the update bypassing the user profile migration. Has anyone been able to figure out what needs to be done on the systems to successfully update the build versions for Windows 10?

Thanks for the help.

Richard
Labels (1)
0 Likes
16 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

rhuhman;2478136 wrote:
I have asked this same question in Windows 10 forums outside of this site and haven't received a good answer or option yet. Hoping I might find an answer here.

I have a Bundle that is attempting to update windows 10, typically 1511 or 1607 to 1703 or 1709. I have a network folder that is mapped and the setup.exe used with /auto upgrade to start the update process. I have received two different failure reasons when attempting to update windows 10. First is Failure on 1st boot, typically this one was due to my AntiVirus. The other one is referencing Migrating Data. I can't seem to figure out what is complaining about or if there is an app it doesn't like. I have a few of my systems upgrade with no issues but the majority seem to fail.

I hate to re-image or run the update bypassing the user profile migration. Has anyone been able to figure out what needs to be done on the systems to successfully update the build versions for Windows 10?

Thanks for the help.

Richard

Have you considered using WSUS for example, it's free and probably more reliable?

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The issue described sounds more with the Windows Update itself, not delivery mechanism.
The errors described are generally associated with incompatible software, drivers, etc...

Could be a matter of finding a reliable way of delivering updated drivers to devices based upon model prior to the Win10 Upgrade.....
Windows 10 should have the drivers already in question already, but for one reason or another it may not be happening in his case.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Not sure if I should start a new thread or not.

To update on this issue I have found that I can run a full update to Windows 10 from any previous build (1607 or 1703) only if I remove the ZAA from the computer. I have tried removing only AV products and just unregistering the device from ZCM but nothing seems to work. Do I need to stop specific services first and disable them to get past the update process hang?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The Automatic Cleanup of Dynamic Accounts may cause the OS Upgrade to Fail as it has those accounts in a list that needs their profiles upgraded....and when they end up not existing anymore....Windows Rolls back the upgrade.

If using a Bundle.....Try having the Bundle Do this following....
#1 - Copy the Extracted 1803 ISO Locally to something such as c:\1803
#2 - Reboot the Device.
#3 - Install c:\1803\setup.exe /SomeRandomParameters (As System)

If not doing a bundle....disabling the ZENworksWindowsService would prevent the account cleanup that is likely causing the issue.
--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have tried both of the options you have listed and still am not having any success. One thing I notice is that when doing it outside of a bundle, say using scheduled task, I look for the ZENworksWindowsService I can't seem to find this service. Is this labeled as something different?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

CRAIGDWILSON;2486128 wrote:
The Automatic Cleanup of Dynamic Accounts may cause the OS Upgrade to Fail as it has those accounts in a list that needs their profiles upgraded....and when they end up not existing anymore....Windows Rolls back the upgrade.

If using a Bundle.....Try having the Bundle Do this following....
#1 - Copy the Extracted 1803 ISO Locally to something such as c:\1803
#2 - Reboot the Device.
#3 - Install c:\1803\setup.exe /SomeRandomParameters (As System)

If not doing a bundle....disabling the ZENworksWindowsService would prevent the account cleanup that is likely causing the issue.

This is exactly what caused our Feature Update (patch) bundle to fail! We copy the sources which is essentially the unpacked ISO of the new Windows version (e.g. 1803) from a network share (in our case directly from the MDT Deployment Share) to the local disk using a DAU account and network credentials. After that we would launch setup.exe as SYSTEM with the desired silent upgrade parameters (not only "/auto upgrade" but also parameters for Dynamic Update which will get updated setup files from our WSUS server if needed so that the setup is always up-to-date). But the upgrade installation would always fail upon the first reboot and roll back to the previous Windows 10 version.

The error occured during the user migration phase and would tell something about "a device attached to the system is not working". After lots (!) of investigating we found out that it was leftovers from the DAU account that was used in the previous directory copy action that caused the upgrade/migration to fail. The setup routine found the DAU account in the ProfileList registry entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion prior to the first reboot when the setup routine ran in the previous Windows 10 version. When the setup then rebooted the device ZENworks deletes the DAU account it created for the copy action but when the device then boots into the migration process it tries to migrate the DAU profile (which already got deleted).

So the key is to delete or hide the DAU account prior to the launcing setup.exe in the first place. And here's what we did in our bundle:

1. Copy the ISO source dir from MDT Deployment Share to the local drive to "C:\Win10Upgrade" as DAU using network credentials (and set the "wait for action to finish to coninue" flag)
2. Wait 30 secs (hoping ZENworks cleans up the DAU correctly)
3. Delete all DAU profile entries under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" via batch/PS (assuming ZENworks would probably fail deleting the DAU profile)
4. Launch setup.exe with silent parameters (along with Dynamic Update enabled, a setupcomplete.cmd which disables Telemetry and uninstalls UWP apps again and NO reboot since we manage reboot behaviour through the patch bundle) as SYSTEM
5. be happy that the upgrade finally succeeds

Hope this helps!

P.S.: I REALLY hope MF will improve the WaaS experience with ZCM a lot! This is where SCCM really shines through the use of Windows 10 Servicing Plans. I can't see ZENworks being used to patch Win 10 in the future with the upcoming changes to Express Updates and the ongoing Feature Updates. It's a really painfull experience right now to upgrade devices that puts huge stress on the network and on the device's CPU (both factors which would essentially be remedied with the new Express Updates). We need a more integrated and streamlined process here with a robust detection method for needed and installed Feature Updates.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The issue is expected to be fixed in ZENworks Update 4....With a change in the timing of when the DAU Accounts are cleaned up to avoid issues with the Windows Upgrade Process.
Older Versions of Windows 10 did not appear to have issues under the same scenario.

--

P.S.: I REALLY hope MF will improve the WaaS experience with ZCM a lot! This is where SCCM really shines through the use of Windows 10 Servicing Plans. I can't see ZENworks being used to patch Win 10 in the future with the upcoming changes to Express Updates and the ongoing Feature Updates. It's a really painfull experience right now to upgrade devices that puts huge stress on the network and on the device's CPU (both factors which would essentially be remedied with the new Express Updates). We need a more integrated and streamlined process here with a robust detection method for needed and installed Feature Updates.
--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How do you accomplish the deleting of DAU profiles in the registry?

Thanks
Eyal
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Using VBS:
Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002
Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objRegistry=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\default:StdRegProv")
strProfileListKeyPath = "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList"
objRegistry.EnumKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strProfileListKeyPath, arrProfileList
For intCurrentSID = 0 To UBound(arrProfileList)
objRegistry.GetStringValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strProfileListKeyPath & "\" & arrProfileList(intCurrentSID),"ProfileImagePath",strProfileImagePath
If Instr(1,strProfileImagePath,"DAU", 1) Then
If Instr(1,strProfileImagePath,"-", 1) Then
objRegistry.DeleteKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strProfileListKeyPath & "\" & arrProfileList(intCurrentSID)
End If
End If
Next

And for reference here is the upgrade command line for setup.exe (run this action as SYSTEM):
C:\Install\Win10_1803_Upgrade\setup.exe /auto upgrade /dynamicupdate enable /quiet /noreboot /postoobe C:\Install\Win10_1803_Upgrade /showoobe none /telemetry disable

The /postoobe flag will automatically run a setupcomplete.cmd in "C:\Install\Win10_1803_Upgrade" after the upgrade (OOBE). This is what's inside:
@echo off

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v AsyncRunOnce /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v EnableFirstLogonAnimation /d 0 /t REG_DWORD /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout /d 0 /t REG_DWORD /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\NewNetworkWindowOff" /F
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsStore\WindowsUpdate" /v AutoDownload /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent" /v DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching" /v SearchOrderConfig /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v AllowCortana /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -file "C:\Install\Win10_1803_Upgrade\RemoveApps.ps1"

exit /B 0

RemoveApps.ps1 is Michael Niehaus' script to uninstall Windows Apps: Link

Oh and for the Dynamic Update to function properly you need the following products in WSUS enabled and all of the corresponding updates to be approved for the "All Computers" group (don't panic, they won't install on your computers unless invoked by the setup.exe):
Windows 10 and later upgrade & servicing drivers
Windows 10 Anniversary Update and Later Upgrade & Servicing Drivers
Windows 10 Creators Update and Later Upgrade & Servicing Drivers
Windows 10 Dynamic Update
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Later Upgrade & Servicing Drivers
Windows 10 GDR-DU FOD
Windows 10 GDR-DU LP
Windows 10 GDR-DU
Windows 10 Version 1803 and Later Upgrade & Servicing Drivers

Hope this helps!
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Thank you so much for sharing this, I was pulling my hair off on this one.
I also had to add this to make it work: /Compat IgnoreWarning
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dbriese,

Can you tell me what's in your script to delete only DAU keys in the
registry ?

Thanks.

Normand

"dbriese" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
dbriese.8n4h6o@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com...

CRAIGDWILSON;2486128 Wrote:
> The Automatic Cleanup of Dynamic Accounts may cause the OS Upgrade to
> Fail as it has those accounts in a list that needs their profiles
> upgraded....and when they end up not existing anymore....Windows Rolls
> back the upgrade.
>
> If using a Bundle.....Try having the Bundle Do this following....
> #1 - Copy the Extracted 1803 ISO Locally to something such as c:\1803
> #2 - Reboot the Device.
> #3 - Install c:\1803\setup.exe /SomeRandomParameters (As System)
>
> If not doing a bundle....disabling the ZENworksWindowsService would
> prevent the account cleanup that is likely causing the issue.

This is exactly what caused our Feature Update (patch) bundle to fail!
We copy the sources which is essentially the unpacked ISO of the new
Windows version (e.g. 1803) from a network share (in our case directly
from the MDT Deployment Share) to the local disk using a DAU account and
network credentials. After that we would launch setup.exe as SYSTEM with
the desired silent upgrade parameters (not only "/auto upgrade" but also
parameters for Dynamic Update which will get updated setup files from
our WSUS server if needed so that the setup is always up-to-date). But
the upgrade installation would always fail upon the first reboot and
roll back to the previous Windows 10 version.

The error occured during the user migration phase and would tell
something about "a device attached to the system is not working". After
lots (!) of investigating we found out that it was leftovers from the
DAU account that was used in the previous directory copy action that
caused the upgrade/migration to fail. The setup routine found the DAU
account in the ProfileList registry entry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion prior to
the first reboot when the setup routine ran in the previous Windows 10
version. When the setup then rebooted the device ZENworks deletes the
DAU account it created for the copy action but when the device then
boots into the migration process it tries to migrate the DAU profile
(which already got deleted).

So the key is to delete or hide the DAU account prior to the launcing
setup.exe in the first place. And here's what we did in our bundle:

1. Copy the ISO source dir from MDT Deployment Share to the local drive
to "C:\Win10Upgrade" as DAU using network credentials (and set the "wait
for action to finish to coninue" flag)
2. Wait 30 secs (hoping ZENworks cleans up the DAU correctly)
3. Delete all DAU profile entries under
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" via batch/PS (assuming ZENworks would
probably fail deleting the DAU profile)
4. Launch setup.exe with silent parameters (along with Dynamic Update
enabled, a setupcomplete.cmd which disables Telemetry and uninstalls UWP
apps again and NO reboot since we manage reboot behaviour through the
patch bundle) as SYSTEM
5. be happy that the upgrade finally succeeds

Hope this helps!

P.S.: I REALLY hope MF will improve the WaaS experience with ZCM a lot!
This is where SCCM really shines through the use of Windows 10 Servicing
Plans. I can't see ZENworks being used to patch Win 10 in the future
with the upcoming changes to Express Updates and the ongoing Feature
Updates. It's a really painfull experience right now to upgrade devices
that puts huge stress on the network and on the device's CPU (both
factors which would essentially be remedied with the new Express
Updates). We need a more integrated and streamlined process here with a
robust detection method for needed and installed Feature Updates.

--
dbriese
------------------------------------------------------------------------
dbriese's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=151600
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=507573

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.