Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows 10 Update process?

I have asked this same question in Windows 10 forums outside of this site and haven't received a good answer or option yet. Hoping I might find an answer here.

I have a Bundle that is attempting to update windows 10, typically 1511 or 1607 to 1703 or 1709. I have a network folder that is mapped and the setup.exe used with /auto upgrade to start the update process. I have received two different failure reasons when attempting to update windows 10. First is Failure on 1st boot, typically this one was due to my AntiVirus. The other one is referencing Migrating Data. I can't seem to figure out what is complaining about or if there is an app it doesn't like. I have a few of my systems upgrade with no issues but the majority seem to fail.

I hate to re-image or run the update bypassing the user profile migration. Has anyone been able to figure out what needs to be done on the systems to successfully update the build versions for Windows 10?

Thanks for the help.

Richard
Labels (1)
0 Likes
16 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

NormandH;2487836 wrote:
dbriese,

Can you tell me what's in your script to delete only DAU keys in the
registry ?

Thanks.

Normand

Sure, it's right there in my previous post (#10):

dbriese;2487127 wrote:
Using VBS:
Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002
Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objRegistry=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\default:StdRegProv")
strProfileListKeyPath = "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList"
objRegistry.EnumKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strProfileListKeyPath, arrProfileList
For intCurrentSID = 0 To UBound(arrProfileList)
objRegistry.GetStringValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strProfileListKeyPath & "\" & arrProfileList(intCurrentSID),"ProfileImagePath",strProfileImagePath
If Instr(1,strProfileImagePath,"DAU", 1) Then
If Instr(1,strProfileImagePath,"-", 1) Then
objRegistry.DeleteKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strProfileListKeyPath & "\" & arrProfileList(intCurrentSID)
End If
End If
Next
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2486970 wrote:
The issue is expected to be fixed in ZENworks Update 4....With a change in the timing of when the DAU Accounts are cleaned up to avoid issues with the Windows Upgrade Process.
Older Versions of Windows 10 did not appear to have issues under the same scenario.

Will this fix include problems resulting from DAU-Users created during the Windows Upgrade Process?

I'm currently using the logged-in user to copy the files and the System-User to execute the setup.exe.
Unfortunately ZENworks seems to create DAU Accounts for other bundles (updates etc.) that are launched automatically while the windows setup is running in the background.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes...It is expected to address the DAU-User related issues.

There will be a change in the timing of when the accounts are cleaned up starting in the Update 4 Agent.
This change in timing appears to prevent the Windows Upgrade from aborting because it incorrectly believes their loss was related to the upgrade and needs to rollback....
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Note: what worked for me is setting my Upgrade bundle to
#1 - Copy Install Files Local.
#2 - Reboot
#3 - Run Setup.exe as system.....

This should cause any existing DAUs to cleanup before the Upgrade Starts.

There was a "User Posted Script" that cleaned up the DAU accounts prior to kicking off the Windows Upgrade....but I can't recall if it ensured those accounts were not performing any actions at the time...
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm trying to stop ZENworks service
first I run windows upgrade with no wait
then run the script to clear DAU's
and then Stop Novell ZENworks Agent Service
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.