hunterrro Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Windows 10, student lab, multiple users

I have a some student computer labs that are going to windows 10 the issue is that every time a student logs onto that computer it creates a user account on that computer. How can I have any student that logs onto that computer get the same user desktop that won't slow them down. Need a little push in the right direction, also have a mix of labs some are still windows 7 so a student can in the same day login to a windows 7 and 10 workstation. We are runniing edirectory only.

We have windows 10 pro workstations, Zenworks 2017 2a, oes client installed on workstations.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
pwolfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Windows 10, student lab, multiple users

Just to clarify,

You want multiple different users to logon with an eDirectory / OES Client at the logon screen, however you are wanting them to login using different usernames but use one workstation profile?

Also,

How long of a long on are you currently seeing if using OES Client / ZCM Client / Windows 10 Pro?

There are some tweaks that can speed up the logon. Including creating a custom start menu XML file that you can drop in once per workstation. By doing this the profile for each user is created faster as it does not install all the "Junk / Pre-Installed" Apps. This I have found is the biggest delay..

Pwolfe / MCCFL_MLA
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

You want multiple different users to logon with an eDirectory / OES Client at the logon screen, however you are wanting them to login using different usernames but use one workstation profile? Yes if possible

Also,

How long of a long on are you currently seeing if using OES Client / ZCM Client / Windows 10 Pro? If user has logged on before not too bad but if not it creates a windows account on that work station.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Set the DLU Policy to use a "Specific User" instead of LDAP User Source Credentials.
Then every eDir user will all logon as "Student" whatever you define.

However...is your issue with unique accounts the Sign-On Animation?
See - https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2015/12/09/step-by-step-disabling-the-windows-10-first-sign-in-animation-via-group-policy/

Windows 10 should not be any slower creating new accounts that Windows 7 once you disable the silly animation 🙂
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Yes that was my issue seeing the sign on animation every time it seemed to take so long. I'll try that and see how it goes. Thank you.
0 Likes
pwolfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hunterrro;2484719 wrote:
Yes that was my issue seeing the sign on animation every time it seemed to take so long. I'll try that and see how it goes. Thank you.

As Craig stated, the Sign on animation is by far the first solution to use and be adequate.

However, I would recommend also looking at adding a default start menu. Depending on your version of windows (Pro vs Enterprise - Some GPO's don't work on pro....) It speeds up the logons. If you do not, it has to install / create / add all the Windows Market place apps. They download or install out of cache. But if you use a custom start menu it does not need to do those things. it also allows you to pin certain apps to the start menu so all users see them etc...

I have included the directions. If you want to give it a go

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To Speed UP Windows 10 Logins and customized the initial start menu tiles-

The creation of the Start Tiles database (vedatamodel.edb) also takes a while.

What you can do is create a Default New User Customized Start Menu.

• Login as a user
• Modify the start Menu Tiles the way you want them
• Export the start menu using the Export-StartLayout cmdlet to create a standard layout that you import into the default user profile using this command (substituting the path as appropriate):

Export-StartLayout -Path x:\xxx\LayoutModification.xml

• Copy the LayoutModification.xml file into:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\

When a new user logs in, this file will be used to create the Start Tiles instead, reducing login time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~PWOLFE / MCCFL_MLA
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks! Nice Tip!
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.