kesselaar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows 7 - Pin to Start Menu

We don't want to show All Programs to our users in windows 7.
Instead we want to pin a bundle to the start menu.
I know you can manually pin a bundle to the start menu but i'm looking for an automated way
Does someone have an idea?

Also anybody knows if your bundle folder can flip out to the right (windows xp classic start menu) instead of tear down??

Arnoud
Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Windows 7 - Pin to Start Menu

kesselaar,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
gleach1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Not sure if this is exactly what you want to accomplish, but theres a script that you can use to programatically pin apps to the taskbar in win7, i'm sure it could be modified to pin to the start menu - it doesn't give you ZCM icons of course just normal windows ones

Taskbar Icons with Windows 7 Sysprep - The IT Bros - that's the link to the script I use for the task bar pinning

Failing that you could use the NAL window?

If you're trying to lock down explorer, you could even use nalwin as a replacement for the explorer shell

0 Likes
kesselaar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

gleach1;2097343 wrote:
Not sure if this is exactly what you want to accomplish, but theres a script that you can use to programatically pin apps to the taskbar in win7, i'm sure it could be modified to pin to the start menu - it doesn't give you ZCM icons of course just normal windows ones

Taskbar Icons with Windows 7 Sysprep - The IT Bros - that's the link to the script I use for the task bar pinning

Failing that you could use the NAL window?

If you're trying to lock down explorer, you could even use nalwin as a replacement for the explorer shell

Thanks for your response!

Indeed we're trying to lock down the explorer, however using nalwin as shell isn't a option for us!!
While it's possible to drag an ZCM Application outside the Application launcher and move it to the start menu manually, we didn't find an automatic way of doing that.
We did tried to modify some vbscripts to do it automaticly but we failed because if you right click on a ZCM icon the pin to start menu isn't available.

Regards, Arnoud
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Kesslaar,

Maby This is not what you are looking for, but did you try the Zenworks Explorer Folder path obtion?

Regards

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
kesselaar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

nop1983;2097372 wrote:
Kesslaar,

Maby This is not what you are looking for, but did you try the Zenworks Explorer Folder path obtion?

Regards

Niels,

Yes we also tried bit with the folder path option.
The fact with that is that the Application is placed under the "All Programs" tab on the start menu, and we would like it to have it like the "Classic menu" in windows xp.
Using a third party tool that emulates the classic shell in windows xp doesn't work too.

Arnoud
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Arnoud,

Okay, yes thats right.
I Think I know what it is that you want and yes that is one of the features sadly no longer Found in windows, would also be number one for us.

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
kesselaar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

nop1983;2097419 wrote:
Arnoud,

Okay, yes thats right.
I Think I know what it is that you want and yes that is one of the features sadly no longer Found in windows, would also be number one for us.

Well i just found a quick dirty work around 😉

1. from the application laucher drop an application to your desktop.
2. drop the icon from your desktop to the start menu (it's now pinned)
3. export the registry hive hkcu\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage2 ( this is the registry location)
4. Removing the context of the registry hive removes the pinned items
5. Importing the registry hives on the same machine restores the pinned items
6. restoring on a different computer??? have to test that one 😉

Arnoud
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well thats a lot of work, hope you succesfull restore it ón a different computer, would make it easier 😉

0 Likes
kesselaar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

nop1983;2097445 wrote:
Well thats a lot of work, hope you succesfull restore it ón a different computer, would make it easier 😉

Well it works if you restore the settings on a different computer, however the default zenworks icon is showed instead of the application icon (-;
0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kesselaar;2097912 wrote:
Well it works if you restore the settings on a different computer, however the default zenworks icon is showed instead of the application icon (-;

Okay, well then it's just the cosmetics thats left 😉

0 Likes
gleach1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi kesselar,
Do you have to use the zenworks icons - in our case we are just using the icons from the app itself, not the ZCM ones to run our script against
If you want the self healing function just assign the icons to the nal window and use that if self healing is needed

Not 100% perfect but the best of both worlds

Here's some code i've just tested to use the executable for the app, it may or may not be of help to you

--code--

Option Explicit

Const CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS = &H17
Const CSIDL_PROGRAMS = &H2
Const CSIDL_STARTMENU = &HB

Dim objShell, objFSO
Dim objCurrentUserStartFolder
Dim strCurrentUserStartFolderPath
Dim objAllUsersProgramsFolder
Dim strAllUsersProgramsPath
Dim objFolder
Dim objFolderItem
Dim colVerbs
Dim objVerb

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objCurrentUserStartFolder = objShell.NameSpace (CSIDL_STARTMENU)
strCurrentUserStartFolderPath = objCurrentUserStartFolder.Self.Path
Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS)
strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path

'textpad
If objFSO.FileExists("C:\Program Files (x86)\TextPad 5\textpad.exe") Then
Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace("C:\Program Files (x86)\TextPad 5\")
Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("textpad.exe")
Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs
For Each objVerb in colVerbs
If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt
Next
End If

--end code--

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.