mprovencher Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows 7 image error: could not create linux hard link

Running Zenworks 11 sp2 (monthly update 2)

So I was building my first Windows 7 image (we've been using XP) and I finally get my sysprep ready and working as I want it

- Sysprep runs
- Sysprep downloads the Zenworks agent
- Sysprep installs the Zenwork agent - reboot
- Zenworks installs the Novell client and other software

I'm pretty happy about my setup and so I take my "imaging" workstation, run sysprep then the workstation shuts down. All good, I take an image of the workstation and try to apply it to another workstation... The imagine process runs great, but at about half of the process, I get kicked back to linux with this error message:

"could not create linux hard link"

I guess that something must have gone wrong when I put the image from the original workstation to the server. I take another image and apply it to another workstation (a different one, to be sure)... same error! I searched about this error but couldn't find anything. Anyone with any idea what is the problem and how I can fix it?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
GuillaumeBDEB Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Windows 7 image error: could not create linux hard link

Hi mprovencher, to better understand your problem we need more info. For example, on what type of computers are you trying to install your new Windows 7 image? DELL, Lenovo, HP, clone, etc.?

Have a good day!
0 Likes
kennolson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello. We are seeing the same problem with the 11.2MU2 imaging engine. This our first experience with the Tuxero NTFS driver. I just updated our Windows 7 image on a workstation, imaged the workstation back to the server and restored it to a different system. Just as the imaging operation was hitting the dreaded C:\Windows\winsxs folder the process calved with the error "could not create linux hard link". Hardware-independent sysprepped image created on Dell OptiPlex 780. Restored to Dell OptiPlex 760.

When we try to boot, BSOD. I mounted the system drive in Linux, and sure enough, the winsxs directory is completely empty. (Should have over 10,000 entries!)

Ideas?
0 Likes
mprovencher Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello, thanks for your answer, we are building our desktop ourselves, so they are clones.
0 Likes
kennolson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This may or may not be the answer, but after several attempts (as described previously), I ran a defrag on C: just prior to saving the image. After doing that, the image saved and restored with no errors, using the Tuxero driver.
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

Hi
I'm rebuilding a newer image with all the MS updates and office 2013 etc from 4 months ago when everything was working fine. Same hardware, same sysprep etc. The new image is done in stages, 9010-1, 9010-2,.....9010-Final etc so I can fall back if needed (which I did not need to). Did defrag and clean up etc as I went to keep size down.
Now all images, including the original ones, come up with the error.

"Could not create linux hard link"

Using Alt F4 during image engine startup the last line is
Tuxera NTFS driver 3012.4.29 [Flags: R/W BACKUP_API Module]

So the driver is installed and running. Defragging the drive is good practice but I don't think it is the answer.

Rebooted the server (to be sure to be sure). Really nothing has changed that I can think of.

Cheers
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

More input. I remember this from some time ago.
From the novel-pbsevr.log

Thu Aug 15 15:11:24 2013 -- [CW] send failure, 520, 16384, -1, 32

Also from the boot.msg and dmseg.txt file from the PXE environment - nothing

Cheers
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

OK so not sure what happened but working again. Looks like all my recent images got corrupted and as I had no need to restore one I soldiered on. Started from a very old image and all seems to be working again. Not totally convinced about it as a recent image was working fine. Thank god for the doco I did.
Yes, I did a chkdsk with no errors but that is not to say that I've been imaging a machine that was doggy. Not sure if the image explorer would have been able to clean them up. No time to test this, will just recreate them.

Cheers
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.