Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Windows Explorer Restarts during Agent Upgrade: Here is how to prevent and show progress

One common complaint about System Update, is that when "Show Progress" was enabled, ZCM used "Balloon Tips" to show the progress due to issues with "Toast Notifications" in early releases of Windows 10.  The drawback is that to enable them and then turn them off again, explorer needed to be started when the System Update both started and finished.

ZCM 2020 introduces a new registry key: ShowDefaultNotifications

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2020/zen_sys_registry_keys/data/bvj1efc.html

When this key is in place, ZCM will use the standard Toast Notifications which eliminates any need to restart Explorer.exe when "Show Progress" is enabled.

Since the initial issues seen with "Toast Notifications" and Windows 10 were something that was seen more in the "Wild" than controlled lab conditions, I would LOVE if I could get some feedback from real people in the real world that this was working seamlessly for them.

If I can get sufficient real-world confirmation, I may push development to make 'True' the default.  However, before I make any such push, I would to be highly confident the chance of any issue is small.  The folks who know about the key, can easily enable it.  I just hope to target a new default for folks who are unaware of the key. 

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
Labels (1)
0 Replies
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.