Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
MaxMyg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows Group Policy creation issue

Good day.
I'm trying to create Local Group Policy as well as Active Directory Group Policy and receive the message "Unable to detect ZCC Helper on this device". But ZCC Helper is installed and I can connect to devices via Remote Control. My OS is Windows Server 2012R2 with IE11. Any suggestions?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
25 Replies
MaxMyg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Windows Group Policy creation issue

Very strange. ZCC Helper works if I connect to ZENworks server via IP address but not via DNS name.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

MaxMyg;2477968 wrote:
Very strange. ZCC Helper works if I connect to ZENworks server via IP address but not via DNS name.

Are you connecting with the complete DNS name or a short one, see here: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7018704

Thomas
0 Likes
MaxMyg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks! I've tried to connect with short DNS name.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Note 1: Though the TID does not reflect it, This was fixed in ZCM 2017 Update 1. (Update 2 Is the Current Patch Level.)

Note 2: I would focus more on "Local Group Policies".
The "Active Directory Group Policy" option is a less used feature.

In either case, the Policies are processed using the Local Group Policy Processor, so the "AD" option does not extend the possible settings that can be controlled.
Further, once imported, they settings cannot be edited as the "Local Group Policy" settings can.
ADM or ADMx files can be used to extend available GPO settings beyond default options.

In General, Customers for whom most of their devices are in AD, tend to use Native AD Group Polices.
Customers tend to use the the GPO feature for devices for either Devices that are not in an AD Domain or perhaps for all of their devices (including Domain Joined) if only a moderate subset are in the Domain to allow for a consistent management option.

thsundel;2477981 wrote:
Are you connecting with the complete DNS name or a short one, see here: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7018704

Thomas
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
MaxMyg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for your explanation! I'm going to use Local Group Policies now.
0 Likes
MaxMyg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

One question about ZENworks Agent Technician Application window. We can see Device-Assigned Policies and User-Assigned Policies. However when I assign Local Group Policy not to User but to Active Directory user's group I don't see that policy as User-Assigned or Device-Assigned. I can see just directly assigned Policies for user and device. Is it a correct behavior?
P.S.: policy works correctly.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

MaxMyg;2478063 wrote:
One question about ZENworks Agent Technician Application window. We can see Device-Assigned Policies and User-Assigned Policies. However when I assign Local Group Policy not to User but to Active Directory user's group I don't see that policy as User-Assigned or Device-Assigned. I can see just directly assigned Policies for user and device. Is it a correct behavior?
P.S.: policy works correctly.

Good question, I don't think I ever assigned to a group so I can't say but does it show if you run "zac pl --all" in cmd?

Thomas
0 Likes
MaxMyg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

All policies became visible both in Agent's window and via "zac pl --all" after managed desktop reboot 🙂
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

MaxMyg;2478070 wrote:
All policies became visible both in Agent's window and via "zac pl --all" after managed desktop reboot 🙂

Great, or maybe just a refresh of the agent might had aslo helped.

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
MaxMyg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I always refresh agent after all deployments and changes ...and do it many times 🙂 Now I have strange notification for one of the managed desktops. I can see in ZCC red icon and message "Message status: Normal. Device status: Bundle and/or policy enforcement failed on one or more items". May be there is any way to clear that status?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

MaxMyg;2478072 wrote:
I always refresh agent after all deployments and changes ...and do it many times 🙂 Now I have strange notification for one of the managed desktops. I can see in ZCC red icon and message "Message status: Normal. Device status: Bundle and/or policy enforcement failed on one or more items". May be there is any way to clear that status?

Tried clearing the message log for the device?

Thomas
0 Likes
MaxMyg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is it "Message Cleanup..." in ZCC? Yes. I've tried.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

MaxMyg;2478075 wrote:
Is it "Message Cleanup..." in ZCC? Yes. I've tried.

Okay, I just tried to acknowledge & delete the messages for one device and it turned "green" again. Maybe a refresh is needed 😉

Thomas
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

In the ZCC, Try going to Configuration->Infrastructure Management->Assignment Optimization Settings and disable.

This can sometimes cause a delay in seeing assignments.
Generally it is only useful in the largest of organizations.
In smaller setups, it can just cause some confusion of what some assignments are not seen right away.

In short, When enabled, pre-calculated assignments for devices and hands those out instead of calculating on the fly.
Calculation usually only takes about 0.1 Seconds....so really does not help much.

If you had 10,000s of devices and all wanted them to update at the exact same time.....even saving 0.1 seconds could be valuable but in normal use case little value is added.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.