Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
allenflame Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows Group Policy

Having an issue with some of our 32 bit machines. I created a Windows Group Policy, and have disabled the sections for UAC. This works fine for the 64 bit machines. The bundles seem to fail on some (but not all) the 32 bit machines. The bundle copies a file to c:\program files, and then runs and extract all files to another folder in c:\program files\. It says access denied. On most machines, it works fine. If I goto the machine and try to copy the file manually, it tells me I will need to provide permission to copy to this folder and I must click continue. Then if I run the file, I get accessed denied, run as administrator, runs fine. The machines I'm have issues with are all 32 bit machines. I've tried making a policy on a 32 bit machine, but I seem to get the same error. I did disable the first policy before testing on the new machine that I reimaged. I did run gpupdate and gpupdate /force, zenworks refresh. Any ideas?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: Windows Group Policy

Forgot to mention Windows 7 SP1 32 and 64 bit machines, Zenworks ZCM 11.2.4
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

allenflame;2332483 wrote:
Having an issue with some of our 32 bit machines. I created a Windows Group Policy, and have disabled the sections for UAC. This works fine for the 64 bit machines. The bundles seem to fail on some (but not all) the 32 bit machines. The bundle copies a file to c:\program files, and then runs and extract all files to another folder in c:\program files\. It says access denied. On most machines, it works fine. If I goto the machine and try to copy the file manually, it tells me I will need to provide permission to copy to this folder and I must click continue. Then if I run the file, I get accessed denied, run as administrator, runs fine. The machines I'm have issues with are all 32 bit machines. I've tried making a policy on a 32 bit machine, but I seem to get the same error. I did disable the first policy before testing on the new machine that I reimaged. I did run gpupdate and gpupdate /force, zenworks refresh. Any ideas?

Do have the copy and extract actions set to run as System/DynamicAdmin or user?

Thomas
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Allenflame,

confused: you say Group Policy, then you talk about bundles...

--

Shaun Pond
newly reminted as a Knowledge Professional

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Sorry for the confusion Mr. Pond. I am using (or trying to) Group Policies to disable UAC and get rid of file permission popups. I created the policies using a Windows 7 64bit machine. It seems like pretty much all the 64 bit machines and some of the 32 bit work as planned, no problems pushing out apps, files (using bundles). We started trying to test last week, and the bundle basically copies a folder from a network drive to c:\program files. I could not get it to copy on the 32 bit machines. Worked fine on 64 bit. Also, it copies a file in c:\program files to another name, which it has to overwrite.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Allenflame,

why not use a group policy, instead of a bundle?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

He is using a GPO.
He claims the GPO is failing, which result in bundles failing.

Keep in Mind, that you need separate GPOs for 32-bit and 64-bit Devices.
By Default, ZCM puts in an Architecture Sys Req to block GPOs created in
64-bit devices runing on 32-bit devices and visa versa.

Not sure why ZCM does this, but I presume there is a valid reason.

On 9/10/2014 3:01 AM, Shaun Pond wrote:
> Allenflame,
>
> why not use a group policy, instead of a bundle?
>

--
Going to Brainshare 2014?
http://www.brainshare.com
Use Registration Code "nvlcwilson" for $300 off!

Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Technical Support Engineer

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Craigdwilson,

> He is using a GPO.
> He claims the GPO is failing, which result in bundles failing.

ah, I didn't see that

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.