pwolff2000 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Working with Retired Mobile Devices

I was trying out the Mobile Device Management for the 1st time and have worked myself into a corner. I registered an iPad using my username "pwolff" and was trying some of the options and decided to remove/unenroll it to try a different naming setup. That is where the problem started. The defaults I had setup for corporate devices was to retire not remove devices when unenrolled. I made my changes and tried to re-enroll the device, it gets an error when installing the "ZENworks Device Enrollment Profile" that states "Profile Installation Failed - A connection to the server could not be established." I tried a different iPad and used the user "admin" as opposed to my username "pwolff" and it enrolled properly. If I login to the zenworks enrollment web page on retired iPad with "admin" credentials it tells me that the "retired device" is Active and has a profile. I have tried to remove the retired device but can't find a way to do so. If I try a search for all mobile devices it never finds the retired device. I still see it as a mobile device under my username and can view the name, serial number, etc. but need to get it removed.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this issue ???
Labels (1)
0 Likes
13 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Working with Retired Mobile Devices

pwolff2000;2447790 wrote:
I was trying out the Mobile Device Management for the 1st time and have worked myself into a corner. I registered an iPad using my username "pwolff" and was trying some of the options and decided to remove/unenroll it to try a different naming setup. That is where the problem started. The defaults I had setup for corporate devices was to retire not remove devices when unenrolled. I made my changes and tried to re-enroll the device, it gets an error when installing the "ZENworks Device Enrollment Profile" that states "Profile Installation Failed - A connection to the server could not be established." I tried a different iPad and used the user "admin" as opposed to my username "pwolff" and it enrolled properly. If I login to the zenworks enrollment web page on retired iPad with "admin" credentials it tells me that the "retired device" is Active and has a profile. I have tried to remove the retired device but can't find a way to do so. If I try a search for all mobile devices it never finds the retired device. I still see it as a mobile device under my username and can view the name, serial number, etc. but need to get it removed.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this issue ???

There are some thing in the readme you could try... So you already tried to delete the device in ZCC?

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks2017/readme_zenworks2017/data/readme_zenworks2017.html#t41b11lj0mkm

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thanks for the reply.... I have gone through the docs multiple times. I can't find a way to delete a "retired" mobile device. There is no menu option, checkbox to choose it, etc. It does NOT appear in the device list and any attempt I have made to "search" for it fails to list the device. Like I stated before, it shows up as a mobile device under my "user" in ZCC and if I click the link there it takes me to the "Device Information" page showing the device as "Retired" with no way to delete it.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Look for "unretire device" as an action under devices.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I have found that option but it is only available if you can "find" the device! My retired device does NOT show up under Devices | Mobile Devices.... I have tried all types of search criteria - Device State: Retired , OS Type: iOS, etc. and the device will NOT appear. This is what is so frustrating !!! Any other ideas?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Not Yet........I don't personally have the Mobile Management Stuff setup with 2017 yet. That is on my short list of things to do.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
gbakshatha Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can you try to delete the device through zman command?

zman mdl <device-name>
0 Likes
Absent Member.

gbakshatha;2447979 wrote:
Can you try to delete the device through zman command?

zman mdl <device-name>

I tried your suggestion, but it does NOT find the device. I let all mobile devices register in the root of the mobile device folder and then move them to their proper subfolder. (The subfolders are the school building in which the device is located...it is the same way I have been doing workstations for years). I know I have to put the proper path and name of the device to remove it, but it failed. If I do a zman ml for that folder that it says it is in (based on the mobile device list under my user name) it finds the 2 current devices but NOT the "retired" device that I am trying to remove. The reason for wanting it removed is that it will not re-register, zen logs shows that the device already exist.
0 Likes
gbakshatha Absent Member.
Absent Member.

zman ml will not list the device as somehow device has lost its parent reference in one of the tables. That's why device is not getting listed under Mobile Devices or the subfolder it is supposed to be in.
zman mdl "<subfolder>/<device-name>" should have worked though.

Can you try one more zman command? This will move the device to Mobile Devices folder. It will reset parent reference.

zman mmv "<subfolder>/<device-name>"
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I tried again with this command and it failed also with Error:Could not find the object "Devices/Mobile Devices/<subfolder>/<device-name>" I will try to get a SR open for this along with a bunch of other issues we are having. (Some minor, some not!)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

Everyone,

An update - After 20+ days the "retired" device disappeared from the system. I was then able to register it again without error and it is working as needed. Don't know the reasons....but I won't complain (too loudly).
0 Likes
asudheer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi pwolff,

As Thomas mentioned the doc link https://www.novell.com/documentation...l#t41b11lj0mkm.

As I understand, you need to mark the device by setting column TobeDeleted in zZENObject to 1. Please make sure the below query doesn't update multiple mobile device objects that matches with the given name.
update zZENObject set TobeDeleted =1 where ZUID=<iPad_GUID> or Name like '<iPadName>'
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.