Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
ecmastrean
Visitor.

XPS 13 9350 and 9360 Imaging Segmentation Fault

When imaging a Dell XPS 13 9350 or 9360 model to Windows 10 x64 using a GPT file system and UEFI BIOS, after the Linux imaging kernel loads a segmentation fault error is given along with ZENworks Imaging failed with error 139. See attached picture. If I image the 9350 using the legacy BIOS settings and Windows 7 using NTFS it images OK.

We are using the following environment:
PXE agent 17.0.0 (ZENworks 2017 with the 17 July 2017 driver update installed).
ELILO 3.14
EFI 2.40

When I boot using the July update boot CD I get the same segmentation fault error so I know it is not related to our imaging script. This same error happened with the 10 March 2017 imaging driver update and previous versions. I have enabled and disabled secure boot and set the POST Behavior Fastboot to through.

Has anyone been able to image the 9350 or 9360 XPS 13 laptops using UEFI? Will the 2017 Update 1 address these issues?
Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
5 Replies
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: XPS 13 9350 and 9360 Imaging Segmentation Fault

Ecmastrean,

I think you'll find that the Imaging Update for Update 1 will contain
the same imaging environment and 2017 with the July update - I think
this is time for an SR...

--

Shaun Pond
when I'm not in the forums, I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows
deployment easy

0 Likes
pwolff2000 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are having a similar problem with our new Dell Precision Tower 3620. They are Win 10 x64 Pro GPT file system and UEFI Bios. We PXE boot and after the kernel loads a segmentation fault error is given with the error:

/bin/zenpart.s : line 6: 2487 Segmentation fault /bin/img -zenpart -find > /tmp/device.s

This is on a Windows 2012r2 server running Zenworks 2017 update 1 with the July imaging update for update 1.

The computer is i7 latest generation with a PCI-E M2 256GB Drive.

Has anybody opened an SR for this?
0 Likes
strj500 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

When opening an SR, providing imglog and other imaging logs may help this move quicker: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3418069 under "Imaging"

I may also suggest trying this alternative boot imaging ISO: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7021083
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I can't get the default bootcd to boot properly in UEFI mode.
I tried using the alternative grub based bootcd that was available from Novell (7021083). I tried with and without the tntfs driver, both failed after booting and running for a period of time. They switch to a blue background screen with a dialog box stating:

Please make sure your installation medium is available.
Choose the URL to retry.

cd:\
hd:\
Enter another URL

I have tried this on 2 separate computers (same model Dell Precision Tower 3620) to make sure it wasn't just a hardware problem. I have re-created the CD's on 2 separate computers and download the July imaging update twice to make sure I had a good download.

I have opened SR# 101093685291
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Still working with Tech Support to find a 'proper' fix. In my testing I came across bios settings that allowed me to save an image and to a multicast successfully.

In the Dell Bios I set the following: (set secure boot=off, legacy roms=on and boot mode=Legacy) and boot the CD (choosing UEFI) or using UEFI PXE Boot I get to a prompt and I can do a Save Image and I can to a Multicast. In order for the cloned PC to boot I must go to the BIOS and set it back to (set secure boot=on, legacy roms=off and boot mode=UEFI) which in my case was the Bios defaults. The new image boots and it seems to work properly.

When using the combo of settings that work, img command, F8 Partition Wizard doesn't show any of the existing partitions.

I don't know if this is possible with other Dell's/computers/etc. but I found something that lets me get done what I need to before the school year starts!

Good Luck!!!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.