Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

ZCM 10.2.2 to 10.3 update questions

Got a few questions about updating 10.2.2 to 10.3 that are not answered by the docs, in fact they were raised by them. Maybe someone has a better understanding of the matter than me:

1. http://www.novell.com/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_upgrade/data/bnwwntm.html states: "IMPORTANT:Before applying version 10.3, it is recommended to remove the earlier updates for ZENworks 10 Configuration Management from ZENworks Control Center." Which earlier updates are meant? Should we revert from 10.2.2 to 10.2.0 before upgrading to 10.3? Or just delete the packages in ZCC so they cannot be deployed to managed devices anymore?

2. http://www.novell.com/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_installation/data/b8belrt.html says: "The server must resolve device hostnames by using properly configured DNS, otherwise some features in ZENworks will not work properly." I read this as "managed device names must be registered in DNS and be resolvable". Well, we currently only register servers and services in DNS, not end devices 😞
Unfortunately I cannot find any detailed information about which features will not work properly, let alone what "properly" is meant to be. Is it only cosmetic or does it affect base funktionality? Are there workarounds or not?

Any comment welcome, thanks,

Lothar
32 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: ZCM 10.2.2 to 10.3 update questions

lhaeger;1955443 wrote:
Got a few questions about updating 10.2.2 to 10.3 that are not answered by the docs, in fact they were raised by them. Maybe someone has a better understanding of the matter than me:

1. Novell Doc: ZENworks 10 Configuration Management Upgrade Guide - Upgrading to ZENworks Configuration Management 10.3 states: "IMPORTANT:Before applying version 10.3, it is recommended to remove the earlier updates for ZENworks 10 Configuration Management from ZENworks Control Center." Which earlier updates are meant? Should we revert from 10.2.2 to 10.2.0 before upgrading to 10.3? Or just delete the packages in ZCC so they cannot be deployed to managed devices anymore?

2. Novell Doc: ZENworks 10 Configuration Management Installation Guide - Primary Server Requirements says: "The server must resolve device hostnames by using properly configured DNS, otherwise some features in ZENworks will not work properly." I read this as "managed device names must be registered in DNS and be resolvable". Well, we currently only register servers and services in DNS, not end devices 😞
Unfortunately I cannot find any detailed information about which features will not work properly, let alone what "properly" is meant to be. Is it only cosmetic or does it affect base funktionality? Are there workarounds or not?

Any comment welcome, thanks,

Lothar

1. In ZCC->Configuration->System updates. Mark all ZCM updates (not PRU): These are available for me:

Support Pack 2 for ZCM (10.2)
Update for ZCM (10.1.1)
Update for ZCM (10.1.2a)
Update for ZCM (10.1.3)

Then click Actions->Delete update

2. The only feature that I know of that will not work if you don't register device into dns is remote control by hostname.

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

thsundel;1955447 wrote:
1. In ZCC->Configuration->System updates. Mark all ZCM updates (not PRU): These are available for me:

Support Pack 2 for ZCM (10.2)
Update for ZCM (10.1.1)
Update for ZCM (10.1.2a)
Update for ZCM (10.1.3)

Then click Actions->Delete update

2. The only feature that I know of that will not work if you don't register device into dns is remote control by hostname.

Thomas

And also make sure that all clients and servers are running version 10.2 or later.

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Lothar,

> 1.
> http://www.novell.com/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_upgrade/data/bnwwntm.html
> states: "IMPORTANT:Before applying version 10.3, it is recommended
> to remove the earlier updates for ZENworks 10 Configuration
> Management from ZENworks Control Center." Which earlier updates are
> meant? Should we revert from 10.2.2 to 10.2.0 before upgrading to
> 10.3? Or just delete the packages in ZCC so they cannot be deployed
> to managed devices anymore?
>

Which ever updates you no longer require!

> 2.
> http://www.novell.com/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_installation/data/b8belrt.html
> says: "The server must resolve device hostnames by using properly
> configured DNS, otherwise some features in ZENworks will not work
> properly." I read this as "managed device names must be registered
> in DNS and be resolvable". Well, we currently only register servers
> and services in DNS, not end devices 😞
> Unfortunately I cannot find any detailed information about which
> features will not work properly, let alone what "properly" is meant
> to be. Is it only cosmetic or does it affect base funktionality? Are
> there workarounds or not?
>

Remote control by device name, for a start...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

-------------- Shaun Pond wrote:

Thanks Shaun and Thomas,

> > 1.
> > http://www.novell.com/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_upgrade/data/bnwwntm.html
> > states: "IMPORTANT:Before applying version 10.3, it is recommended
> > to remove the earlier updates for ZENworks 10 Configuration
> > Management from ZENworks Control Center." Which earlier updates are
> > meant? Should we revert from 10.2.2 to 10.2.0 before upgrading to
> > 10.3? Or just delete the packages in ZCC so they cannot be deployed
> > to managed devices anymore?
> >

> Which ever updates you no longer require!

So that means everything except the lastest PRU, I guess. Would ZCM apply all earlier updates to devices first before finally installing 10.3 if I left them in ZCC? What's the reason for the "IMPORTANT" emphasis in the doc?
>
> > 2.
> > http://www.novell.com/documentation/zcm10/zcm10_installation/data/b8belrt.html
> > says: "The server must resolve device hostnames by using properly
> > configured DNS, otherwise some features in ZENworks will not work
> > properly." I read this as "managed device names must be registered
> > in DNS and be resolvable". Well, we currently only register servers
> > and services in DNS, not end devices 😞
> > Unfortunately I cannot find any detailed information about which
> > features will not work properly, let alone what "properly" is meant
> > to be. Is it only cosmetic or does it affect base funktionality? Are
> > there workarounds or not?
> >

> Remote control by device name

Since the IP is also listed in the dropdown box, a workaround exists, which is good. Is there any way to make RC by IP the default, instead of requiring manual selection?

> for a start...

Anything else, someone?

Cheers, Lothar
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

So that means everything except the lastest PRU, I guess. Would ZCM apply all earlier updates to devices first before finally installing 10.3 if I left them in ZCC? What's the reason for the "IMPORTANT" emphasis in the doc?

If all workstations and servers are running 10.2 or later then you are good to go. 10.2, 10.2.1, 10.2.2 can be directly updated to 10.3, There is no need to update 10.2->10.2.1->10.2.2 because 10.3 should include all the "fixes/changes" from these versions.

Since the IP is also listed in the dropdown box, a workaround exists, which is good. Is there any way to make RC by IP the default, instead of requiring manual selection?

No, but feel free to add an enhancement request as many others already done: http://www.novell.com/rms

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thsundel;1955473 wrote:

No, but feel free to add an enhancement request as many others already done: http://www.novell.com/rms

Thomas

Done. Tho I bet it'll be another "Duplicate(Under Consideration)" 🙂

This was actually the number one complaint we had after training was over... "It doesn't work for me!"
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jcsmith1,

> Done. Tho I bet it'll be another "Duplicate(Under Consideration)" 🙂
>

only if it is a duplicate 🙂 We had to do the RFE review on Tuesday this
week, because we have some training today - I'm on vacation next week,
so nothing will happen to your RFE for approx. 2 weeks, just want to set
expectations...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thsundel;1955473 wrote:
If all workstations and servers are running 10.2 or later then you are good to go. 10.2, 10.2.1, 10.2.2 can be directly updated to 10.3, There is no need to update 10.2->10.2.1->10.2.2 because 10.3 should include all the "fixes/changes" from these versions.

Thomas

When I applied the 10.3 update I diligently deleted all the indicated updates, but then I noticed that they all came back. Since that time I've been unable to permanently delete the old updates. I've tried doing it through the ZCC and through ZMAN. They always seem to delete, but then come back in the interface. Any ideas?

This is what I have....

Name | Status
------------------------------+----------
Jun 2010 PRU | Baselined
Support Pack 2 for ZCM (10.2) | Baselined
Update for ZCM (10.1.2a) | Baselined
Update for ZCM (10.1.1) | Baselined
Update for ZCM (10.3) | Baselined
Update for ZCM (10.1.3) | Baselined
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

weinberd;1993310 wrote:
When I applied the 10.3 update I diligently deleted all the indicated updates, but then I noticed that they all came back. Since that time I've been unable to permanently delete the old updates. I've tried doing it through the ZCC and through ZMAN. They always seem to delete, but then come back in the interface. Any ideas?

This is what I have....

Name | Status
------------------------------+----------
Jun 2010 PRU | Baselined
Support Pack 2 for ZCM (10.2) | Baselined
Update for ZCM (10.1.2a) | Baselined
Update for ZCM (10.1.1) | Baselined
Update for ZCM (10.3) | Baselined
Update for ZCM (10.1.3) | Baselined

This is how it's designed, it look like that for everyone.

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thsundel;1993318 wrote:
This is how it's designed, it look like that for everyone.

Thomas

That's a little confusing particularly since the 10.3 update explicitly wanted you to delete the updates before upgrading. I have all these old updates listed under "Available System Updates". I can select ACTION>DELETE on each of them, but they don't actually "DELETE"??? Strange behavior....
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

weinberd;1993405 wrote:
That's a little confusing particularly since the 10.3 update explicitly wanted you to delete the updates before upgrading. I have all these old updates listed under "Available System Updates". I can select ACTION>DELETE on each of them, but they don't actually "DELETE"??? Strange behavior....

Well the update (files on server) is actually deleted but not the text under "Available System Updates".

I know, it's really confusing and annoying.

Thomas
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.