Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
sledneck_9 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZCM 10.3.3 win 7 login fails after novell login

Using:

ZCM 10.3.3 (server and agent)
Windows 7 Enterprise x64
Novell Client 2 SP 1 IR7

I have set the following registry keys on my workstation:
\HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM\ZenLgn:
DisablePassiveModeLogin - 1
DisablePassiveModeLoginPrompt - 1
HonorWorkstationOnlyLogin - 1

I use a different username and password for my local workstation than my Novell credentials, I don't want them synchronized.
When I log into Novell, it spins for a little while and then says something like 'Invalid workstation credentials'. If I click ok it prompts me for my Windows login information, if I put that in then it logs in OK. Before I installed the ZenAgent it worked fine without the workstation login error...it would let me login into Novell and then prompt for workstation password, all was good. After ZenAgent it has to take time to error on the workstation login first.

We aren't using any policies and we don't have AD.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM 10.3.3 win 7 login fails after novell login

Sledneck,

> HonorWorkstationOnlyLogin - 1
>

that doesn't work at the moment, if I get time, I will be releasing a
patch today that will work for 10.3.3

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Shaun,

Thanks for the patch, I applied it to my workstation using Method 4 (manually replacing the .dll file). This patch may fix the workstation only problem, but I think my scenario is slightly different.

When logging into the Novell client first (not workstation only), I get an 'invalid username or password for the workstation' error. Before installing the ZCM agent my login went Novell Client->Windows Workstation. After ZCM the login process is the same, except that it hangs after Novell login and then gives me the workstation login error, which I have to acknowledge before I can enter the correct workstation password. The passive login to ZCM seems to work fine.

Is there anyway to make the login sequence not attempt workstation login automatically...the goal is to have to enter a different login/password for novell and windows workstation.

Thanks in advance
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sledneck,

well yes, but you won't then authenticate as a user to ZCM, can I ask
why you're trying to keep 2 different IDs?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Shaun,

Since our group (IT department) use our laptops as workstation only when we are configuring/testing equipment, we want to keep a password on the workstation side. Most of our regular users will just have a blank windows password and their Novell login will get them into the workstation. In a lot of situations were we are logging in as workstation only, we won't have a regular network connection so we -can't- login to Novell.

I changed the registry entry for DisablePassiveModeLogin to '0', but left the other two the as '1'. I can log into Novell, get the error message, log into the workstation, and then right click on the ZCM tray icon and 'show properties' and my Novell user has been logged into Zen. So everything seems to be working, except it displays that error between Novell and Windows login. Something in ZCM must tell the login sequence to attempt windows authentication after Novell login because if I remove the zcm agent the error goes away.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sledneck,

at the moment, as far as I can see, this is working as designed, yours
is a use case that hasn't been provided for... I think
http://support.novell.com/enhancement is the next step for you 😞

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thanks for the help Shaun, it seems odd that the ZCM client would change the behavior between Novell login and workstation login. I'll give the enhancement request a try.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.