Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZCM 11.0 - Cumulative Agent Patch 1 - Known issues

Hey,

For those of you deploying this, please reply to this thread with issues you encounter and a few lines about your setup (eDir/AD usersource, Client OS and Server OS).

I ask this because I've tested the file prior to the release (and the earlier ZESM fixes), I've had negative results that impact the implementation of the fix.

The error I am getting after deploying this is a massive increase in the time the agent service takes to start up, up to 5 minutes extra on a relatively new computer (Dell Latitude E5410), making such things as login with new userprofile and the NWC increase dramatically.... When the service is started, it is however fixed as they say, regarding the Location Awareness engine that was my initial problem(The TID also lacks VMXNET 3 network controller from the affected)...

This is not an attack on Novell or anything, its just that I want more information from others, if its my setup or if its common, other issues etc. (I really want Novell to be more open though, so its easier to work with your products, and I hope they fix their RSS feeds!)

Best Regards,
Rune "TheFlyingCorpse" Darrud
Labels (2)
0 Likes
69 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nop1983,

the update is only supported if you apply the whole thing, so there's
not a lot of point in breaking it down, I'm afraid.

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Okay, then it's just that I am going to do, no problem.

/Niels

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nop1983,

🙂 Just checking

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I was just a little confused and maby had to get seperate fix's beside the cap 😉 but no, good and simple.

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have found the cumulative patch deployment patch was unreliable. What seems to work best is to apply the cumulative patch to the ZCM 11 system, uninstall the workstation zcm 11 agent, then run a fresh install from https://zcm/zenworks-setup. It's clunky but works.

However, that doesn't preclude the fact that we have quite a few lock-ups, BSOD problems and overall instability w/ the few test systems that now have the ZCM 11 adaptive agent on them. We recently added locations to our ZCM system figuring this might be a nice feature since we have three offices, and our issues since then have gotten noticeably worse.

I would say the biggest issues are lock-ups (as I write the system to my right is locked up, just after boot up) and BSOD problems.
0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

I haven't been able to get method 3 to work at all for me in testing. We are mostly looking at deploying this to fix the slow logins issue but it doesn't sound like it is really fixing that. I am going to recommend that my organization wait on SP1.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Since the deployment method is not an system-update i don't deploy it. I've only patch my deployment packages for new machines. But still have problems. I'm wondering if SP1 will fix the major things to go into production with zesm.

jhurley;2111210 wrote:
I haven't been able to get method 3 to work at all for me in testing. We are mostly looking at deploying this to fix the slow logins issue but it doesn't sound like it is really fixing that. I am going to recommend that my organization wait on SP1.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jhurley,

what problems have you had? I spent a considerable time testing those
instructions before I released the patch, so I'd love to see if I can
improve on them...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Johnehurst,

I'd like to understand what the unreliability refers to, so I can try
to make the instructions better - I know that using the Windows
scheduling service isn't ideal (far from it) but at the moment it's the
best we've got - and before you say anything 🙂 yes System Update would
be better, and it's something we'd love to do, but at the moment the
amount of extra work that would entail would push the release dates for
things like 11.1 (and we all want the latest databases supported) back
too far.

We hope to have an agent update 2 out shortly (probably the week after
next) and that should have a ZESM update which has proved good in
testing.

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

spond;2111428 wrote:
We hope to have an agent update 2 out shortly (probably the week after
next) and that should have a ZESM update which has proved good in
testing.

--

Shaun Pond

Will it fix more conflicts with Symantec Endpoint Protection? We are experiencing massive issues with it, and had to reinstall 700 machines because we could not trust to use ZCM in production during the students Exam (it would have been 1500, but deployments have been frozen due to the issue).

The only recorded fix for the hickup I've seen from Novell's side to the issue above is when encryption is turned on. Its not in our case, we only use the ZCM part too, so its really annoying that ZESM is causing the conflicts with SEP.

To repliace the issue, we start up Word or Excel, maybe an Internet Explorer 8 session too, but word is enough. Let it stay for a while, it can take anything from 5 minutes to 13 hours to lockup the entire computer (the HDD led is flashing even after lock, mouse can be used etc, rest is stuck). Only fix is a hard reset. We have been unable to record anything in the logs of ZCM regarding this issue with full debugging.

SP1 wont fix all our issues at the moment either, maybe SP2 will POSSIBLY fix it, but a few months too late for a full scale deployment over the summer...
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

There are not any known SEP issues, there are Lots of Folks using that
with ZCM.

It would recommend ensuring the proper ZCM exclusions are in place.

On 6/3/2011 8:06 AM, theflyingcorpse wrote:
>
> spond;2111428 Wrote:
>> We hope to have an agent update 2 out shortly (probably the week after
>> next) and that should have a ZESM update which has proved good in
>> testing.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Shaun Pond

>
> Will it fix more conflicts with Symantec Endpoint Protection? We are
> experiencing massive issues with it, and had to reinstall 700 machines
> because we could not trust to use ZCM in production during the students
> Exam (it would have been 1500, but deployments have been frozen due to
> the issue).
>
> The only recorded fix for the hickup I've seen from Novell's side to
> the issue above is when encryption is turned on. Its not in our case, we
> only use the ZCM part too, so its really annoying that ZESM is causing
> the conflicts with SEP.
>
> To repliace the issue, we start up Word or Excel, maybe an Internet
> Explorer 8 session too, but word is enough. Let it stay for a while, it
> can take anything from 5 minutes to 13 hours to lockup the entire
> computer (the HDD led is flashing even after lock, mouse can be used
> etc, rest is stuck). Only fix is a hard reset. We have been unable to
> record anything in the logs of ZCM regarding this issue with full
> debugging.
>
> SP1 wont fix all our issues at the moment either, maybe SP2 will
> POSSIBLY fix it, but a few months too late for a full scale deployment
> over the summer...
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Theflyingcorpse,

> Will it fix more conflicts with Symantec Endpoint Protection
>

I have not been given the list of fixes yet...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.