Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZCM 11.1 Update Causing Blue Screen?

I've run into a problem where after updating my clients from 11 to 11.1 I'm now getting a BAD_POOL_HEADER bluescreen. This seems to be happening mostly on HP Laptop (6530b) devices, however I do have a report of a Dell (E5410) having the same problem. I've done a bit of a search and saw something about the HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor driver having problems with the zesdac filter (see ZCM Agent and HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor), however this was apparently fixed in Cumulative Update 1. I did a manual check of these registry keys to double check and all seems fine.

Being a BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD is usually driver related, I have to think it's something to do with the Endpoint Security Module (which we dont use - but is installed on clients regardless). Has anyone had anything similar? or any suggestions where to go looking? This happens both on XPSP3 and W7SP1 machines.

Cheers

Matt
Labels (2)
0 Likes
23 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, we were/are having the same issue (BAD_POOL_HEADER) running ZCM 11 with Cumulative Update 1. Our plan was to upgrade to ZCM 11 SP1 to potentially resolve the issue, but hearing this is concerning.

We isolated the issue to the ZESM agent. If you want to verify, just uninstall just the ZESM component, and the BSOD will likely go away. You can test this by running the zesm "setup.exe" found on your server in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\ZENworks\install\downloads\exe" on a client machine and choosing the remove. It will break the Location feature if you're using that, but then you can at least test to see if the BSOD issue goes away.

We did not remove the ZESM client agent because we isolated the issue to when WSUS updates were installed using the "Install Updates and Shutdown" option. If we install Windows updates in a user session, no BSOD. However if we "installed updates and shutdown", something caused the BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD consistently on our Virtual machines, panasonic toughbooks or HP notebooks.
Good Luck,
Luke
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Do you know if theres a way to roll out the agent without the ZESM component? Unfortunately once it's installed its too late to get rid of it to test as the computer is unusable. Doesn't even boot into safe mode. I'm currently in the process of making a new build with updated drivers (even though the hardware is only <12 months old), and will give that a try, might fix the conflict. I hope!

Matt
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

icedheat;2127835 wrote:
Do you know if theres a way to roll out the agent without the ZESM component?

I'm sure there are ways to batch/script a process of installing the ZCM Agent, then running the uninstaller for the ZESM agent using the setup.exe i mention above. However, i'm sure Novell would rather help solve the problem than remove a "feature". Did you start an SR with them for this? Let us know what you find/decide since we are in a similar situation.
Thanks,
Luke
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

More of an FYI since you say you are already rebuilding the machine. One thing to try in the future with the reboot loop/BSOD issues related to the ZESM component is unplug the network connection from computer you are having the problem with and then see if will boot up without the BSOD and you can log in locally and remove the agent.

I have had a different type of conflict between the ZESM component and our Vipre Antirevirus product (see http://forums.novell.com/novell/novell-product-discussion-forums/zenworks/configuration-management/zcm-11/zcm11-agent-deployment-windows/432099-zcm-11-windowx-xp-32-bit-agent-vipre-enterprise-4-antivi.html) and unpluging the network connection allowed me to boot the computer up without the BSOD/Reboot loop so I could troubleshoot. BTW, after installing the 11.1 update, I am still having this issue.

I really wish Novell would redesign the agent so that those of use who are not licensed for ZESM are not tied to installing these ZESM components that seem to be causeing a great many BSOD/reboot loop issues.

- Al
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

abray;2128087 wrote:
I really wish Novell would redesign the agent so that those of use who are not licensed for ZESM are not tied to installing these ZESM components that seem to be causeing a great many BSOD/reboot loop issues.

I second that!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are having the same issues with our HP ProBook laptops. When we install cumulative update patch 2a, they reboot once and then BSOD, with no way to boot into safe mode. For now, we are not updating to 2a on those machines. I would love an update into this issue. We currently don't have any SR's.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

swad;2133878 wrote:
We are having the same issues with our HP ProBook laptops. When we install cumulative update patch 2a, they reboot once and then BSOD, with no way to boot into safe mode. For now, we are not updating to 2a on those machines. I would love an update into this issue. We currently don't have any SR's.

I ran into this issue on a previous Zenworks update, but could not replicate the problem until I upgraded to Zen11.1 (SP1). Same issue here, rebooted once then BSOD, can't get into safe mode or anything. Did not happen on all machines, but it happened on a few. We are running Windows 7 x64, so here was our fix:

Solution: Boot to Windows 7 disc and delete all partitions, reboot, and try imaging again.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

LOL! Sad but the only fix available.

"nzorn" wrote in message news:nzorn.504ia2@no-mx.forums.novell.com...

swad;2133878 Wrote:
> We are having the same issues with our HP ProBook laptops. When we
> install cumulative update patch 2a, they reboot once and then BSOD, with
> no way to boot into safe mode. For now, we are not updating to 2a on
> those machines. I would love an update into this issue. We currently
> don't have any SR's.

I ran into this issue on a previous Zenworks update, but could not
replicate the problem until I upgraded to Zen11.1 (SP1). Same issue
here, rebooted once then BSOD, can't get into safe mode or anything.
Did not happen on all machines, but it happened on a few. We are
running Windows 7 x64, so here was our fix:

Solution: Boot to Windows 7 disc and delete all partitions, reboot, and
try imaging again.

--
nzorn
------------------------------------------------------------------------
nzorn's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=98833
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=443018
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

To disable the ZESM feature, why don't you disable the "Endpoint Security Management" Agent Feature from the Configuration?

This can be done by going to ZCC --> Configuration --> ZENworks Agent --> Disable / Uncheck Installed

Post your results here.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dkpatel2;2139183 wrote:
To disable the ZESM feature, why don't you disable the "Endpoint Security Management" Agent Feature from the Configuration?

This can be done by going to ZCC --> Configuration --> ZENworks Agent --> Disable / Uncheck Installed

Post your results here.

If only it were that easy. 🙂 Regardless of disabling the ZESM option in ZCC, the agent always installs the ZESM components because it is required to provide location information. Also, the above ZCC Agent configuration does not have a checkbox for Endpoint Security.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

That does not disable the portion of ZESM that generally causes the
BSOD, which is the Low Level Drivers which are always loaded.

And disabling/removing those Drivers would break locations.

On 9/20/2011 4:16 PM, dkpatel2 wrote:
>
> To disable the ZESM feature, why don't you disable the "Endpoint
> Security Management" Agent Feature from the Configuration?
>
> This can be done by going to ZCC --> Configuration --> ZENworks Agent
> --> Disable / Uncheck Installed
>
> Post your results here.
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.