Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

ZCM 11.4.3 Primary Servers in different subnets?

Hi, 

I am being subjected to an external contractor firm tasked by the senior executive with migrating our server fleet from on-prem to Azure and one of our ZENworks Primary servers has been placed in-scope for this pilot (ASR) process.

Are there any implications for having Primary servers in different subnets for a transition period? Can this sync process work for ZCM?

The Azure-replicated hosts are obviously not in the same local subnet as the current hosts and clients are. And the host replicated in Azure will have a different hostname.

Thanks!

Cameron

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ZCM 11.4.3 Primary Servers in different subnets?

Hi Cameron,

Are you saying that you want to add a ZENworks server to the current zone which is then running in Azure?

Let's presume this is the idea, then you need to make sure that the new primary can communicate with the existing ones, and also with the DB (with DB at least for initial installation when you flag it as child primary later on)
Also you agents need to be made aware of this new server, and be able to communicate with it.

Perhaps the DMZ configuration as described in our documentation can help you with finding what you need: https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2020/zen_cm_deployment_bp/data/t49ien3dfhis.html

If I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do then please let me know.

Regards,
Johan

Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Thanks. I think all the firewalling changes will be catered for between the on-prem and the cloud subnets, but I am more concerned about the ability for a cookie-cutter cloud migration process to shift a Primary server from one location to the other without breaking something. The first server they have migrated was purely a simple (html serving only) IIS webserver and that resultant cloud replacement has a different name to the original on-prem server because it was some form of copy process.

I would have assumed that to provision a new ZENworks Primary server in the cloud subnet there needs to be the traditional managed install of the ZENworks software, not some background clone or sync process? (but I don't know yet exactly how ASR works and will be asking more questions of what their process does)

The current in-scope on-prem Primary server is not the Primary that holds the Zone database - that (db) migration would be a later stage in the overall transition. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It really all depends.....Example VMware can be hosted by Azure.  If it is a virtual server, it could likely just be moved and then have the IP Address and Possibly DNS updated.  So it could be a simple move.  Or if it is a physical box, it may be a more complex operation, but even then there are P2V migrations.  Of course I presume you could spin up a new server directly there.

However, so long as there are Multiple Primary Servers, moving one at a time from one Subnet to another is easily supported.  The address info is all stored in the DB.  So long as a Managed Device can still talk to an unmoved server, it will learn of the moved server's updated address next time the agent checks in.  Then the other server can be moved.  Of course, this should be done over time, since it may take a while before all devices check in and learn about a move, so trying to move all servers in one night or even a couple days would leave some devices looking where things used to be after they are turned on after a few days.  That is especially true if BOTH the IP and DNS are changed. 

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Yes, our ZENworks Primary servers are all VMware VM's.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.