Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZCM 11 SP2: Problems with Satellite Server replication

Hello,

we are facing problems with the replication of our Bundles to the satellite servers.

First a quick overview in our Network. We have more phisical Locations that we want to manage with the ZCM 11 (SP2). All Locations are connected with our zentral Server with a slow WAN (between 2Mbit and 6 Mbit), so we decided to create Satellite Servers at every Location we have.
Now I'm facing problems with the replication of my test Bundles on one Satellite Server at one of our Locations. The Problem ist, that at first the satellite server recognizes the bundles to be replicated (its listet under "Content Repository Details" in the Agent) but they are a long time listet as "unavailable" (which means is still copying to the local hd??). But when I create a new Bundle, it is not recognized by the Agent over a very long time! it takes about 2h for the new Bundle to be listet in the Agent. I dont know what the problem is that it takes sooo long? First I thought it might be the slow WAN, so I created a new Test Satellite in the local LAN, but it's the same problem.
I've configured the Satellite Server to check every 5 minutes, with a durration of 60 minutes. The Servers of the Agent are correct, they point to the central Server (ZCM).

Does anyone have an Idea what might be the problem? I've tested the connection from Main Server to Satellite Server, turned off the firewall, etc. everything seems fine.
The Satellite Server are on Windows 2008R2 Server and Windows 7 Ultimate. The Agent versions are 11.2.0.16117. The Main ZCM Server is Windows 2008R2 Server.

fyi: sorry for missing Informations, it's my first post!

Hope someone can help!

With best Regards,
Mike
Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ZCM 11 SP2: Problems with Satellite Server replication

The Agents will not see new bundles until they perform a refresh, which
only happens every few hours. Details about bundles are not stored on
Satellites, only content which has nothing to do with whether a device
sees the bundle.

On 8/2/2012 5:16 AM, mwuerzbauer wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> we are facing problems with the replication of our Bundles to the
> satellite servers.
>
> First a quick overview in our Network. We have more phisical Locations
> that we want to manage with the ZCM 11 (SP2). All Locations are
> connected with our zentral Server with a slow WAN (between 2Mbit and 6
> Mbit), so we decided to create Satellite Servers at every Location we
> have.
> Now I'm facing problems with the replication of my test Bundles on one
> Satellite Server at one of our Locations. The Problem ist, that at first
> the satellite server recognizes the bundles to be replicated (its listet
> under "Content Repository Details" in the Agent) but they are a long
> time listet as "unavailable" (which means is still copying to the local
> hd??). But when I create a new Bundle, it is not recognized by the Agent
> over a very long time! it takes about 2h for the new Bundle to be listet
> in the Agent. I dont know what the problem is that it takes sooo long?
> First I thought it might be the slow WAN, so I created a new Test
> Satellite in the local LAN, but it's the same problem.
> I've configured the Satellite Server to check every 5 minutes, with a
> durration of 60 minutes. The Servers of the Agent are correct, they
> point to the central Server (ZCM).
>
> Does anyone have an Idea what might be the problem? I've tested the
> connection from Main Server to Satellite Server, turned off the
> firewall, etc. everything seems fine.
> The Satellite Server are on Windows 2008R2 Server and Windows 7
> Ultimate. The Agent versions are 11.2.0.16117. The Main ZCM Server is
> Windows 2008R2 Server.
>
> fyi: sorry for missing Informations, it's my first post!
>
> Hope someone can help!
>
> With best Regards,
> Mike
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for your Reply!
I think I might have solved the Problem with the Replication on the Satellite Servers, but I am still a litte konfused with the technical mechanism on the Satellite Servers..

I did a few testruns with the replication from our main Server to the Satellites and I am getting different results:
On my first run I created a Bundle (File installment) which had a few Files in it (about 1 MB) and put it in my replication folder which replicates to my 2 test satellite Server. I then refreshed the Agent on the satellite Servers and the new bundle was found and synchonized, but put on the Status "Unavailable" in the Content Repository Details for a very long time.

On my second run I created the same Bundle with about the same size and put it also in the replication folder. I then refreshed the Agent on the satellite Servers but the new Bundle is not listet in the Content Repository Details... and the Synchronization Status is at 100%.
Mostly over night the Satellite Servers sync themselfs again (I suspect) and then all my bundles are listet in the Content Repository Details, with all Bundles set to "Available".

Now back to your Reply, you wrote that the agents only sync every few hours, but I set the replication Time (Default) to 10 Minutes. Does this have nothing to with this problem?

How can I ensure that when I rollout a Bundle offsite, that it will be taken from the satellite Server and not from the Main Server? My offsite Workstations Agents are set to look first to the Satellite Server and as the second server the Main Server. Do I have the wait until the Bundle is set to "Available" on the Satellite Server?

With best Regards,
Mike
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

mwuerzbauer;2211283 wrote:
Thank you for your Reply!
I think I might have solved the Problem with the Replication on the Satellite Servers, but I am still a litte konfused with the technical mechanism on the Satellite Servers..

I did a few testruns with the replication from our main Server to the Satellites and I am getting different results:
On my first run I created a Bundle (File installment) which had a few Files in it (about 1 MB) and put it in my replication folder which replicates to my 2 test satellite Server. I then refreshed the Agent on the satellite Servers and the new bundle was found and synchonized, but put on the Status "Unavailable" in the Content Repository Details for a very long time.

On my second run I created the same Bundle with about the same size and put it also in the replication folder. I then refreshed the Agent on the satellite Servers but the new Bundle is not listet in the Content Repository Details... and the Synchronization Status is at 100%.
Mostly over night the Satellite Servers sync themselfs again (I suspect) and then all my bundles are listet in the Content Repository Details, with all Bundles set to "Available".

Now back to your Reply, you wrote that the agents only sync every few hours, but I set the replication Time (Default) to 10 Minutes. Does this have nothing to with this problem?

How can I ensure that when I rollout a Bundle offsite, that it will be taken from the satellite Server and not from the Main Server? My offsite Workstations Agents are set to look first to the Satellite Server and as the second server the Main Server. Do I have the wait until the Bundle is set to "Available" on the Satellite Server?

With best Regards,
Mike

10 minutes is WAY too chatty, IMO.

The default content setting in 11.2 are 1 hour for Primary server replication. That's in the ZCC -> Configuration -> Content -> Content Replication.

THAT's only for primary servers though.

Satellite server replication is set when you actually ADD/promote a device to satellite server and assign it to a primary server. I think the default is every day, for a duration of 60 minutes.

So I think you're not setting your satellite server up properly or the content replication schedule properly.

IF you have your satellite server setup to provide a content role, and it's assigned to a primary server, AND that Primary server HAS the content replicated to it, you can manually "prod" the satellite server replication rather than waiting.

With ZPM/patching, you have to be very careful.

You want the ZPM server to download the updates from Novell and FINISH BEFORE you have your satellite server replication begin.

Otherwise, what will happen is that the satellite servers will replicate and THEN ZPM will download updates, and your satellite devices won't have the updated DAU or patching and then the agents will complain that they cannot find the updates/patches.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.