Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
data5248 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZCM 11SP2 slow device deleting

ZCM 11sp2 2 primary server
remote DB server Sybase 12
When I delete a device from either primary servers it takes over 5 min's to delete and the DB server CPU goes to 100% the hole time until the device is removed. Before we upgrade (10.3.4) did not have this problem, device remove quick. With the device getting remove I have no ideal what to look for to see why it is taking so long to delete a workstation.:confused:
Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM 11SP2 slow device deleting

data5248,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
metheridge Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Worth checking the database sizing as a starting point:

Support | Improving ZCM Database Performance by Monitoring and Limiting Table Growth
0 Likes
Absent Member.

data5248,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://www.novell.com/support and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com

0 Likes
Absent Member.

>ideal what to look for to see why it is taking so long to delete a
>workstation.:confused:

I have the same problem. I was about to delete 1200 dups, but even a
zman command in batch mode took several hours.
Database was also freshly rebuild and with tons of ressources.
Everything else runs smoothly. It must be a 11.2.1 anomaly.

Regars
Allan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I may open an SR on this as well. We're using external Oracle and even deleting ONE device can take 10-15 minutes.

However, our DBA is reporting that Novell's not using/setting up the database properly (something about
right now the indexes and the tables are in the same tablespace, although there are separate tablespaces for each... good design but it's not being implemented ???
)
0 Likes
roehmdo1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

we are seeing the same thing (slow deletes) using the embedded database (11.2.1).. did you hear anything on this ??
only started noticing this slowness when we went to 11.2.1 from 11.2
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

roehmdo;2222838 wrote:
we are seeing the same thing (slow deletes) using the embedded database (11.2.1).. did you hear anything on this ??
only started noticing this slowness when we went to 11.2.1 from 11.2

I only just got the Oracle Redo log stuff today and forwarded them on to Novell.

Yours might be easier if you open an SR since you're using the Sybase embedded database and don't have to depend upon your DBA to get stuff for you.
0 Likes
jokerz440 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni,

Did you ever open a SR with Novell or find a solution to the slow deleting problem? (We are on 11.2.1 and Oracle 11.2.x)

JB

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

jokerz440;2265482 wrote:
kjhurni,

Did you ever open a SR with Novell or find a solution to the slow deleting problem? (We are on 11.2.1 and Oracle 11.2.x)

JB

Yes and No. Sorry that I forgot about this.

Okay, there's one thing you MAY be able to do to make it go faster:

IF you are using ZPM, and have lots of devices (or even if not), change the ZPM Dashboard trending from the default of 30 days to 7. WARNING: Novell/Lumension never tested this with Oracle, so they didn't know this can cause major issues). Novell ASSUMED that Oracle works like MS SQL and that if you change from 30 to 7, and the nightly database maint. runs, that it will not purge 50 million items and THEN commit. Novell ASSUMED that Oracle behaves like MS SQL and does the commits in batches. Oracle does NOT. So IF you do this, make sure you have LOTS of space on your archive partition because Oracle will create LOTS of archive files and fill up your disk until it can execute the final COMMIT.

Your alternative: Truncate the database directly, THEN set to 7 days. (or set to 7 days, and truncate before the nightly cleanup can begin).

In our case, this helped dramatically (it was taking 30+ minutes to delete a single pc)

HOWEVER:

It still takes about 5 minutes to delete a single PC now because of all the inventory tables that need to be updated. Novell has no fix for this yet. I suppose if you have NO (or little) inventory information it should be quicker.
0 Likes
jokerz440 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you kjhurni!

We do not run ZPM. Last year when we upgraded to 11.2.1 we had numerous database issues. They had us run some stored procedure that took days to finish.
It took about 20 minutes to delete each workstation this afternoon. Now (after hours) it seems like it is going a bit faster but still not what I consider good. I think after we upgrade to 11.2.3a next month I will open a new SR to deal with this.

JB

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

jokerz440;2265538 wrote:
Thank you kjhurni!

We do not run ZPM. Last year when we upgraded to 11.2.1 we had numerous database issues. They had us run some stored procedure that took days to finish.
It took about 20 minutes to delete each workstation this afternoon. Now (after hours) it seems like it is going a bit faster but still not what I consider good. I think after we upgrade to 11.2.3a next month I will open a new SR to deal with this.

JB

Thanks for the info. Odds are it's the inventory stuff then. I never did get a good response other than:
a) Change your zone options so that after 30 days (example), the device is removed, not flagged.
b) You want to manually run the SQL scripts to delete workstations, but having to type it in for each workstation is quite tedious, and there's no facility to mass-delete.

But they did say they'd investigate things.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.