Captain
Captain

ZCM 2017 Update 4 Sybase to ZCM 2020 PostgreSQL

Each of our Zenworks School sites has a stand-alone Zenworks server.  We will have to go to the appliance soon, due to our licensing, IE the appliance for ZENworks 2020. I have looked up the migration procedures that are documented, and I am looking for input and direction based on these option.  For myself, what would be the easiest route to migrate my Current ZCM 17.4 Sysbase install, to ZCM 2020 PostgreSQL Appliance install?

So Basically I have to somehow go from:

SLES 11, ZCM 17.4 Sybase-->to SLES 11, ZCM 17.4 PostgreSQL,-->ZENworks 2020 Appliance PostgreSQL, is there a way for me to do this?  I also have Mobile Devices involved with the built-in in ZCM MDM. Thanks in advance for all the suggestion.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This path I just completed with a customer.

However a discussion has to be clarified.
It sounds like you chose Primary servers at each school site instead of Satellites - which is fine.
Each of our ZENworks School sites has a stand-alone ZENworks "Primary"? Server.
Where does your CA, MasterPrimary and Database Roles exist?
To run this query on Sybase using the dbisql utility - see TID 7011996 & TID 7023804

select distinct zdevice.Hostname, zzenserver.Type, zzenserver.Parent,zzenserverroles.roles as Roles, zzenserverroles.position as Position,zzenobject.zuid,zzenobject.path as Device_Path from zZENObject
join zZENServerRoles on zZENServerRoles.id=zZENObject.zuid
join zZENserver on zZENServer.zuid=zZENObject.zuid
join zDevice on zDevice.zuid=zzenobject.zuid
Order by Type, Hostname, position

Those Roles can only exist on one Primary - if these roles are on a Primary at your District office and not a school then your school site processes will be easy. 

1. Add an Appliance at each School site.
  2. Change the Default Server Rule for the Appliance on top.
  3. Give time for content replication - day or so to allow managed devices to refresh.
  4. Decommission the older Primary Server.

The Primary Server that these roles are on will require extra work if you are upgrading it to an appliance also.

You can move the Sybase DB from SLES 11 > Appliance first, then upgrade the OS, the migrate to PostgreSQL.
Following these instructions, results in the 2017 Appliance holding a Sybase database ready for the DB migration, then to ZCM 2020.

FYI - I recently used the Sybase DB move documentation and the only issue was
Step  7: an extra french bracket { in the Example
Rebooting after Step 8 is completed before Step 9. 
(This doc defect will be corrected soon.)

Then using the ZCM DB Migration Tool v3.1 to migrate from Sybase to PostgreSQL.
Now it is ready for ZCM 2020 Appliance Migration - see below for instructions.

OR

Upgrade the OS - SLES 11 > Appliance and follow the DR move then upgrade the Database.

Step 1: Environment: SLES 11 w/2017 Sybase
Task: Migrate the Sybase Db > PostgreSQL Db using the ZCM DB Migration Tool v3.1, downloaded from the customer portal > Software  under your ZCM 2020 Downloads.

Here is a Video for Win/Lin w/Sybase to PostgreSQL  & ZENcast - Sybase to PostgreSQL Migration

Step 2: Environment: SLES 11 w/2017 PostgreSQL
Task: SLES 11 w/2017 > Appliance
Add an Appliance Primary Server in the Zone & give time for content to replicate.
Perform Replacing the First Primary Server 
Including Step 9 which takes you through  Moving the CA Role.
Then moving the PostgreSQL database from One primary to another primary

=====

Once you have PostgreSQL in place, you can perform the prereq rpm install to prepare the ZCM 2017 Appliance for the  ZCM 2020 Appliance Upgrade from ZCM 2017 Appliance starting with the MasterPrimary that holds the PostgreSQL database.

Before you start

Backups - vms, system files, database, zone configuration

Review the Upgrade Cookbooks has plenty of reminders and links to the docs.
ZCM 2017 Cookbook TID 7018169
ZCM 2020 Cookbook TID 7024089

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

Thank-you SOOO much!!

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

I may have a few questions once I start this process 🙂

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

I just want to clarify, ALL of our servers, are just stand-alone servers, with no connection to the other ones.  Do those role comments still apply?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes they apply.

The basic process is you will be adding a 2nd Primary to Each Zone that will be an appliance.  Then you need to move all the roles from the old Server to the new appliance.  This will be DB, CA, etc....

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Captain
Captain

Okay, sounds good, I may touch base as I go along, to make sure I'm doing this right.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.