Highlighted
Ensign
Ensign

ZEN 2017 Update 1 Linux to WinPE Imaging

We are using Linux to image our computers using a Preboot bundle with an imaging script. Since Linix does not support newer models especially in UEFI mode, it looks like WinPE may be the way to go. We are on 2017 Update 1. There are three parts to our image: the Windows 10 image, an add-on with software like antivirus and ZENworks, and a driver add-on with drivers specific to that model. So the imaging script determines the model of computer and applies the Windows 10 image, add-on then the model specific driver add-on. When looking through the WinPE documentation, it says how to upload third party imaging support files (winpe.wim and imageX) to ZCC and how to make and restore an image. But it looks like our imaging process is more complicated than that. We support many different models, so that is why we keep the Windows 10 image as generic as possible then apply a specific driver pack and do further configuration during the sysprep process. So my question is does anyone use WinPE like we use Linix imaging and can give me advice on how to get started using WinPE?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Best bet is to move to Update 2.
Update 2 upgrades the WinPE Imaging so all the commands and options available via the Linux Kernel are also available in WinPE.
Whatever ZCM commands and scripts used prior, should now work under WinPE....except any commands that were Linux OS commands, which may need to be converted to a Windows command.

Of course in the real world, it is never that simple................
If nothing else....toss up a Test 17.2 server and start working with the new WinPE options in your lab so that when you are ready for 17.2, you can hit the ground running.

Note: There will be another major upgrade to the Linux Kernel for Imaging expected in March that should help many of the current issues.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

As I understand, you need to add a Third party script preboot bundle, and need to configure the hardware rules in the ZCC/Preboot Services Configuration.
When the workstation booting, automatically downloaded the script into the workstation, and running in the WinPE mode.
You can read this document: https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2017-update-2/pdfdoc/zen_cm_preboot_imaging/zen_cm_preboot_imaging.pdf

I am in the same shoes. On monday I will start to configure our imaging test environment.

Regards,
Gergely
0 Likes
Highlighted
Ensign
Ensign

Thank you Craig and gturcsik for your comments. I will go over the Update 2 documentation and see if management wants to wait until March to see if the Linux problems are fixed or continue to move to WinPE imaging.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.