Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
shumways Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

ZENworks 11 migration to 2020

I'm looking for a little guidance on upgrading our ZENworks system.

We are currently on ZCM 11 SP4, with Sybase DB (embedded); SLES11SP3 and 3 primary servers.  We have about 2800 users and 1400 devices. I have read through the docs that are currently available (ZCM 2017 SP4).  We think Postgres is the way to go and expect to go with ZCM 2020 when it is available.

I have standalone servers at the time, but am also considering going to appliance.   Also have a win7 --> win10 upgrade in development.

I envision going to 2020 if possible, on Sybase until upgrade is completed, then take a second step (second maintenance window) to move to Postgres.  Not sure if there are any "gotchas" going from server to appliance, which we are considering.

Also, we are on Citrix XenServer (7.1 ltsr).  Since XenServer is  basically a managed XEN hypervisor, must I switch to VMWare for good results and support?

Should I wait for 2020 to pop?  Is there a stepping from 11 --> 2017 --> 2020 required?  Are there possible obstacles?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ZENworks 11 migration to 2020

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2017-update-4/zen_ca_appliance/data/b89a1a0.html

For whatever reason, the docs specifically state that Citrix XENServer is not supported.  I'm not sure if this is a technical limitation or a choice to not put the appliance through all of the verification processes on that platform.

Sybase will no longer be supported on ZCM 2020, which will likely ship this week.

ZCM 2020 will include new and updated Database Migration Tools to assist with Migration from Sybase to PostGres, MSSQL, or Oracle.

You zone will need to be upgraded to at least ZCM 17.0 prior to the migration.

I would consider.....

1. Upgrading all Primaries to 17.0 and then 17.4
  2. Allow the system to run for a week or so to make sure things are stable.
  3. Migrate to PostgreSQL
  4. Monitor the system and make sure it's still stable for a week or so.
  5. So long as the system is still on ZCM 17.x,  the system can still be rolled back to Sybase.  So its critical to make sure that all is well before pressing forward.
  6. Once things are stable on 17.4 with PostgreSQL, upgrading to ZCM 2020 should be safe.

Note: The Reason I suggest moving all the way to ZCM 17.4, is that it contains many important fixes vs 17.0 if you will be running it for any length of time.  If you were running MS_SQL  on 11.4.x, then an upgrade to 17.0 followed by an immediate upgrade to 2020 would be fine.  However, since your process will require a database migration, I believe that a slower process would be more prudent.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/novell-zcm/Idea/Detail/13644 - Support for XENServer Request.....

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
shumways Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Thank you!  I appreciate the timely response.  And your dependable ZENworks insights over the years.

0 Likes
RaveNet Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

I'm fairly certain I heard 2020 is adding official xenserver xva appliance

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I would definitely go to 2017 as it is here now and has several important fixes.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.