Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZENworks CC Manage GPOs vs AD Manage GPOs

Hello everyone.

I´m trying to find out some answers about this topic because there are several articles, threads, papers, etc., that explain how policy management works and how far ZENworks can go to manage them to a certain point and then the recommendation to move to AD GPO Management starts.

My main concern is with the Workstation migration, from WIN XP to WIN 7, and the policy Management. As always there are those who stand by Microsoft AD's and those who stand by ZENworks.

The settings currently are: ZENworks ZCM v11.x on OES v11. MS Windows 2003 SP2 with AD.

MS Windows guys obviously argue about that GPOs are best managed through AD's GPO tool and Novell ZENworks guys explain that GPOs can be managed through the ZENCC by importing them from files that might be created in a sample win 7 workstation and exported as a .reg.

Could someone help out as to the extent that ZENworks could manage GPOs and where it falls short that AD is required or needed?... I understand that the well known "It Depends" comes to order... but could someone share their experience where the "It depends" comes into play...?

Hopefully I was able to send the message clearly!!!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZENworks CC Manage GPOs vs AD Manage GPOs

miguelvelizven,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Just my two bobs worth
ZCM policies have a broader spectrum that what Microsoft offer ie not just WGP. The ZCM Workstation group policy is just the Windows group policy but administered through ZCM. If you are in a situation where you are tied into an existing large AD with multiple groups/devices/users etc then maybe stick with it. But the old KISS principle gives ZCM the edge (IMHO). AD can get very top heavy. In our industry its getting to be a bit like "mine is bigger than yours" losing sight that the end user just wants to type and print a letter.
You need to present the case not so much on technical merit but on your current resources and capabilities.

Cheers
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

miguelvelizven,

Just keep in mind, that if you want to use AD Group Policies, you can't edit them inside ZCC. But the import and deployment of them works great 🙂

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.