Highlighted
overdorf Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZENworks Embedded Sybase Database backup Question/Issue

Hello All,

I am trying to figure the best way to backup our embedded Sybase Database. I have read the documentation and understand how to do it with the zman commands. I am wanting to do this automatically and have further read the instructions of setting up the schedule with the templates on the server. My question is that when you do the actual backup, the zenworks services have to stop, backup the database and log files, then restart. With the template/schedule, it does not look like that happens. The documentation indicates that you can put a number after the novell-zenworks-configure -c Start command but I keep getting errors. Is my syntax incorrect? Is there another way to stop the services and then restart them with a cron job?

We just finished dealing with a corrupt database so I am a little gun shy about doing anything to the database that will corrupt it.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZENworks Embedded Sybase Database backup Question/Issue

Overdorf,

what's the exact command you are inputting?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
overdorf Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shawn,

Also if you could tell me where the documentation is for the services that Zenworks starts, I could setup a script to stop and start them also. I know a few of the service names like novell-zenserver and novell-zenloader, but some I don't know are CASA authentication or Zen Management Agent. I am just looking for a non-interactive way to stop and start the necessary services to backup the database.
Thanks for your help!
0 Likes
overdorf Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I tried novell-zenworks-configure -c Start and that allows me to start or stop or restart the services. What I need to do is stop and start without having to be there to type in 12 or 13. I tried to add the number after the start as I thought the document indicated, but that just gave me an error. Am I missing something?
0 Likes
overdorf Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think I might have figured this out. You only have to stop the zenworks services if you are doing a manual backup. If you are using a zman command backup, you do not have to stop the novell services because it needs the database service to run in order to run the back up. If this is true, I can setup a cron job to run the zman command line and then move the file to another server as a backup. Does that sound like a feasible plan of action?
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Overdorf,

yes that works, if you don't want to schedule the backup using the zman
schedule

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Overdorf,
> I can setup a cron job to run the zman command line and
> then move the file to another server as a backup. Does that sound like
> a feasible plan of action?

Or as Shaun says use the built-in feature to schedule. See the docs.

Also make sure you do a backup of the server config and the Certificate
Authority. But the latter only needs to be done once.

Running regular DB backups is vital as it also shrinks the DB transaction
file, which gives you a faster database.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
overdorf Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I did the back up of the sever config and CA when upgraded the server from 10.3.3 to 11.2.0 last month. I have those tucked away in a nice safe place. 😄 I did not know about the relationship between backups and DB transaction file, that is also a good reason to backup the DB. Thanks for your help.

TimO
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.