Absent Member.
Absent Member.
3904 views

ZESM NDIS Firewall causes DNS issues

I have an issue when installing the zenagent on any windows PC, the zenagent also install a "Novell ZESM NDIS 5.1 Firewall" in the networking properties.
When this is enabled, windows is unable to update DNS causing a slew of problems.
Disabling this service resolves all DNS issues.

So....
Why is this being installed?
What is it needed for?
Is there a fix?
How can I tell it to not install it?

Thank you.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
20 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jgaffney,

> Why is this being installed?

it's part of the ZESM component of the Adaptive Agent

> What is it needed for?

It's used in the discovery of "locations"

> Is there a fix?

Not sure, because I don't recall this exact symptom (if it only DNS
traffic that's being blocked), but it may be that you're only seeing
part of the issue, in which case (assuming you are running 11.1) try
the 11.1.140 update for ZESM at
http://download.novell.com/patch/finder/#familyId=18962&productId=38264

> How can I tell it to not install it?

You cannot



--

Shaun Pond


0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

In addition to 11.1.140.........

Try Removing AV to see if that helps.
If it does, Verify the AV Exclusions found in TID#7007545


On 2/1/2012 3:32 AM, Shaun Pond wrote:
> Jgaffney,
>
>> Why is this being installed?

> it's part of the ZESM component of the Adaptive Agent
>
>> What is it needed for?

> It's used in the discovery of "locations"
>
>> Is there a fix?

> Not sure, because I don't recall this exact symptom (if it only DNS
> traffic that's being blocked), but it may be that you're only seeing
> part of the issue, in which case (assuming you are running 11.1) try
> the 11.1.140 update for ZESM at
> http://download.novell.com/patch/finder/#familyId=18962&productId=38264
>
>> How can I tell it to not install it?

> You cannot
>
>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have the AV exclusions in place, same results. I've also tested on machines without AV, brand new windows installs with nothing installed, same results....

This product is so frustrating, ZEN use to be a great product. Now it's just a beta product that I've paid to be a tester for.
The ZESSERVICE crash/reboot issue crippled my entire network, as does the DNS problems now, even had the agent blue screening laptops.

This is a product that's suppose to help ease PC management, yet I'm doing more work just trying to keep my PC's functional after installing the zenagent. I haven't even begun to do what I wanted with it as it's made everything unstable. Service packs take far to long for availability, and when they are available it's a "use at your risk".... BETA testing....

I convinced a client they would save all kinds of money with ZEN, in return they got billed more hours to what fix everything ZEN breaks.
They are now asking if ZEN will ever be stable enough to be usable....
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

11.2 will make the Disabling of the ZESM Services easier, though you
will lose location functionality. This may or may not be important
depending on the setup.

The is also an Enhancement Request open to allow for Locations without
the full ZESM Agent, which may resolve many of the issues.

I would suggest you enter such an Enhancement request and express those
feelings in there.

On 2/1/2012 1:26 PM, jgaffney wrote:

>
> I have the AV exclusions in place, same results. I've also tested on
> machines without AV, brand new windows installs with nothing installed,
> same results....
>
> This product is so frustrating, ZEN use to be a great product. Now it's
> just a beta product that I've paid to be a tester for.
> The ZESSERVICE crash/reboot issue crippled my entire network, as does
> the DNS problems now, even had the agent blue screening laptops.
>
> This is a product that's suppose to help ease PC management, yet I'm
> doing more work just trying to keep my PC's functional after installing
> the zenagent. I haven't even begun to do what I wanted with it as it's
> made everything unstable. Service packs take far to long for
> availability, and when they are available it's a "use at your risk"....
> BETA testing....
>
> I convinced a client they would save all kinds of money with ZEN, in
> return they got billed more hours to what fix everything ZEN breaks.
> They are now asking if ZEN will ever be stable enough to be usable....
>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

@JGaffney

we are in the same boat as you. Zenworks 7 worked great. Zenworks 10.3, not bad. Zenworks 11? Pure crap! seriously how does novell not test deploying an agent to a windows 7 machine that has .NET 4.0?? really?

the whole ZESM crap is pointless for us and for most of us since it didn't even exist in 10.3. why would you add more complexity to an already buggy product? shouldn't novell be concentrating on i don't, stability and customer requests vs crap features i could care less about??

this may be the last iteration of Zenworks we ever use, SCCM is looking pretty nice at this point even if we do need to migrate all 500+ apps to it.

so is the interactive services issues going to be fixed/resolved ever too?

craig_wilson;2172536 wrote:
11.2 will make the Disabling of the ZESM Services easier, though you
will lose location functionality. This may or may not be important
depending on the setup.

The is also an Enhancement Request open to allow for Locations without
the full ZESM Agent, which may resolve many of the issues.

I would suggest you enter such an Enhancement request and express those
feelings in there.

On 2/1/2012 1:26 PM, jgaffney wrote:

>
> I have the AV exclusions in place, same results. I've also tested on
> machines without AV, brand new windows installs with nothing installed,
> same results....
>
> This product is so frustrating, ZEN use to be a great product. Now it's
> just a beta product that I've paid to be a tester for.
> The ZESSERVICE crash/reboot issue crippled my entire network, as does
> the DNS problems now, even had the agent blue screening laptops.
>
> This is a product that's suppose to help ease PC management, yet I'm
> doing more work just trying to keep my PC's functional after installing
> the zenagent. I haven't even begun to do what I wanted with it as it's
> made everything unstable. Service packs take far to long for
> availability, and when they are available it's a "use at your risk"....
> BETA testing....
>
> I convinced a client they would save all kinds of money with ZEN, in
> return they got billed more hours to what fix everything ZEN breaks.
> They are now asking if ZEN will ever be stable enough to be usable....
>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

There are not any known issues with .NET 4.0

The Interactive Services is a Design of Windows 7, but Novell is looking
at redesigning things to not use services where they were used before to
prevent that. Currently you need to make the process silent to avoid it
or use MSIs.

I presume this means you are having DNS issues?
AFAIK, no customers have ever raised an SR with this issue so if you are
having it, It would be wise to do so.




On 3/8/2012 3:06 PM, jamesselix wrote:
>
> @JGaffney
>
> we are in the same boat as you. Zenworks 7 worked great. Zenworks 10.3,
> not bad. Zenworks 11? Pure crap! seriously how does novell not test
> deploying an agent to a windows 7 machine that has .NET 4.0?? really?
>
> the whole ZESM crap is pointless for us and for most of us since it
> didn't even exist in 10.3. why would you add more complexity to an
> already buggy product? shouldn't novell be concentrating on i don't,
> stability and customer requests vs crap features i could care less
> about??
>
> this may be the last iteration of Zenworks we ever use, SCCM is looking
> pretty nice at this point even if we do need to migrate all 500+ apps to
> it.
>
> so is the interactive services issues going to be fixed/resolved ever
> too?
>
> craig_wilson;2172536 Wrote:
>> 11.2 will make the Disabling of the ZESM Services easier, though you
>> will lose location functionality. This may or may not be important
>> depending on the setup.
>>
>> The is also an Enhancement Request open to allow for Locations without
>> the full ZESM Agent, which may resolve many of the issues.
>>
>> I would suggest you enter such an Enhancement request and express
>> those
>> feelings in there.
>>
>> On 2/1/2012 1:26 PM, jgaffney wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> I have the AV exclusions in place, same results. I've also tested on
>>> machines without AV, brand new windows installs with nothing

>> installed,
>>> same results....
>>>
>>> This product is so frustrating, ZEN use to be a great product. Now

>> it's
>>> just a beta product that I've paid to be a tester for.
>>> The ZESSERVICE crash/reboot issue crippled my entire network, as

>> does
>>> the DNS problems now, even had the agent blue screening laptops.
>>>
>>> This is a product that's suppose to help ease PC management, yet I'm
>>> doing more work just trying to keep my PC's functional after

>> installing
>>> the zenagent. I haven't even begun to do what I wanted with it as

>> it's
>>> made everything unstable. Service packs take far to long for
>>> availability, and when they are available it's a "use at your

>> risk"....
>>> BETA testing....
>>>
>>> I convinced a client they would save all kinds of money with ZEN, in
>>> return they got billed more hours to what fix everything ZEN breaks.
>>> They are now asking if ZEN will ever be stable enough to be

>> usable....
>>>
>>>

>>
>>
>> --
>> Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
>> Novell Knowledge Partner
>>
>> Novell does not officially monitor these forums.
>>
>> Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
>> These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational
>> human.

>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have the same problem. How can I fix this problem ?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

bskielce wrote:

>
> I have the same problem. How can I fix this problem ?


What patch level are you on?

--
--

Niels Poulsen

Novell Knowledge Partner

-------------------------------
A TRUE RED DEVIL

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

zenworks 11 SP2
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

bskielce wrote:

>
> zenworks 11 SP2


No of the new patches applied?

--
--

Niels Poulsen

Novell Knowledge Partner

-------------------------------
A TRUE RED DEVIL

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

11 sp2 update is in progress
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.