Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZESService causing Windows 7 to reboot

Hi,

We have a single server ZCM install, running on SLES. We upgraded from ZCM 10 earlier this week, no problems there. One of our Windows 7 machines has randomly rebooted a couple times this week. When I looked into the event logs, I see that ZESService.exe crashed at the time the reboot happened. Pulling up task manager and killing that process will also cause an immediate reboot. We do not use Endpoint Security, nor do we want it. I don't have the trial installed, but for some reason this is installing when I install the ZCM Agent on Windows 7 machines. I have tested the reboot when killing ZESService.exe on a couple other machines, and it does indeed reboot when ZESService.exe is killed. Is there a way to install the agent on Windows WITHOUT ZESService.exe or any of the Endpoint stuff? Right now I feel like ZCM 11 is a big step backwards.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
63 Replies
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

442 is the version expected at this point to be included.

The current version of the patch has 14 Agent MSIs in addition to EXE
for the updated ZESM portion of the agent.

On 4/5/2011 1:06 PM, floort wrote:
>
> Shaun,
>
> Is it still zesm version 440?
> Or is there more inside that "big patch".
> Can you create the installation instructions including the options to
> integrate the new big patch into adaptive agent rollout, And ofcourse to
> deploy it to existing machines.
> I'm still waiting for my sandisk cruzer usb stick fix. But nobody can
> reproduce that in the US! (SR)
>
>
>
>
>
> spond;2093026 Wrote:
>> Kerengil,
>>
>> for a short while, yes - I am working on posting a big patch which
>> will
>> include the ZESM fixes, I would suggest it's worth hanging on for a
>> day
>> or 2...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Shaun Pond

>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun,

Integrations into adaptive agent? for rollout new machines.
And a simple rollout for existing machines?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Floort,

"more simple than before" I think is the best way to put it...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Waiting for the changelog 🙂

spond;2093485 wrote:
Floort,

"more simple than before" I think is the best way to put it...

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shaun,
I have the same problem....

Does this patch will be available in the System Update of the Zone console? or just in Novell download?

thank you!
DM
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dominicm,

it will be just in the download area - it's the first step towards
getting updates in SU, but it's going to take time

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm also fighting these same issues. In addition to the already mentioned,the zesservice will randomly tie up 50% CPU utilization, which sometimes cannot be stopped with a reboot, but only by manually killing the service.

I have a clean install, no trial. I do NOT have the options that have been mentioned to not install this service.
"Configuration |Device Mgmt | Zenworks Agent and uncheck ESM"

This service has been a nightmare on my network and management is ready to rip ZEN out completely. Hard to blame them when the product has caused more interruptions than anything else.

Opening a SR to get a hold of a "test" patch is also a red flag.

Time is running out for the existence of ZEN on this or any other network. It's a shame because it use to be a good product.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Getting frustrated now... I must be missing something.

I wrote scripts that remotely change the recover options to not "restart workstation".
They started going back to default. I them attempted to just set the service to "Disabled". It will not allow me to, it jumps right back to "Automatic".

I am a local administrator and have full control of all other services except zesserive
I need a way to disable or remove this service, preferably without touching every single PC.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm sharing the same opinion as jgaffney : there is a lot of frustration with zenworks 10 or 11, since zen 7 ....

Often, it seems that when there is a patch or an upgrade, something break up and many machine clients are compromised.... perhaps more testing should be considered??

Right now, we are in test phase, but whats happening When 5000 clients are in production?

DM
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We're in the middle of a rollout, the CAP has been released, though I urge you to test it a great deal!!!! (See my new thread regarding it in the same forum)

For those of you that want it to test: ZCM 11.0 - Cumulative Agent Patch 1 - NOVELL: Downloads - ZCM 11.0 - Cumulative Agent Patch 1
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hi!
I've installed the fix on one of the server, and deploy an update to the computer that haved the bug. The deploy update have taked about 2-3 secondes and it says that the patche is installed (is it normal?). How can I validate on the computer that de patche is correctly applied?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Look on the client at the Systray icon > Properties > Endpoint Security : version: must be 11.0.0.442
I think there will be more ways, but this is the zesm component that is also included in the patch

dominicm;2094570 wrote:
hi!
I've installed the fix on one of the server, and deploy an update to the computer that haved the bug. The deploy update have taked about 2-3 secondes and it says that the patche is installed (is it normal?). How can I validate on the computer that de patche is correctly applied?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.