Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZESUser has stopped working

With ZCM 11SP2 Server and Windows 7 SP1 workstations, we are periodically getting the "ZESUser has stopped working" dialog box displayed on the desktop. The ZAA agent icon is no longer visible at this point. Most machines work correctly. Once I get this, I end up re-imaging the workstation to resolve.

If you click Close the program (the only option), it closes and then comes right back again.
If you reboot the machine, it comes up right away making it difficult to diagnose further.

Before getting to this state, the ZAA was working fine. Once in this state, the 'zac' command generates a long error message starting with "UnableToCommunicateUnknwonError Exception: ..." A bit later in the log, "Culture 'en' is a neutral culture." Overall, the message back isn't helpful.

Has anyone else experienced this?

LS
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZESUser service and the ZAA Agent Icon are two seperate processes/services. The fact that they are both having issues, suggests something fundamental across the user context. ZESUser (if/when it crashes) will automatically restart IF it is needed. It's only needed when reviewing ZAA Location Awareness details or ZESM enforcement details. If it is not running and some action is performed that requires User Context interactions (user space GUIs), then it will be started. I'm not sure why you'd need to re-image the machine.
I would like to have a SR opened if this issue is repeatable. With the ZAA agent diagnostics set to the "debug level", I would also do the following:
1) open a command prompt and browse to %ZENWORKS_HOME%\esm
2) type zescommand.exe /about
3) In the UI that pops up, select ->Diagnostics->Logging
4) Set the following Logging options to the "Debug" level: User, General, Communications and leave all others at Default. MAKE SURE to check the box "Save as Defaults" and then hit Apply.
5) Recreate the issue
6) Return to the Diagnostics page following steps 1 to 3 and select Create Diagnostics Package instead of clicking the Logging button.
7) Send this diag pkg with the SR/bug

Please also specify the target/OS native language and if the ZAA language is different than that.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

bbeachem;2191487 wrote:
ZESUser service and the ZAA Agent Icon are two seperate processes/services. The fact that they are both having issues, suggests something fundamental across the user context. ZESUser (if/when it crashes) will automatically restart IF it is needed. It's only needed when reviewing ZAA Location Awareness details or ZESM enforcement details. If it is not running and some action is performed that requires User Context interactions (user space GUIs), then it will be started. I'm not sure why you'd need to re-image the machine.
I would like to have a SR opened if this issue is repeatable. With the ZAA agent diagnostics set to the "debug level", I would also do the following:
1) open a command prompt and browse to %ZENWORKS_HOME%\esm
2) type zescommand.exe /about
3) In the UI that pops up, select ->Diagnostics->Logging
4) Set the following Logging options to the "Debug" level: User, General, Communications and leave all others at Default. MAKE SURE to check the box "Save as Defaults" and then hit Apply.
5) Recreate the issue
6) Return to the Diagnostics page following steps 1 to 3 and select Create Diagnostics Package instead of clicking the Logging button.
7) Send this diag pkg with the SR/bug

Please also specify the target/OS native language and if the ZAA language is different than that.

I have almost the same problem. Creating 2 testmachines for demo from ES. Log out from ZCM and login Again with another user and there are no policies anymore. Bundle assigment is still working, but not Endpoint Security. I needed to un-install the agent, re-install the agent and everything was working again. I had this on 2 machines within a timeframe of about 30 min. During 2 days worked without any problem on these 2 machines. Th version is 11sp2 without service packs yet.
Who have the same problem?

Herman

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have not heard of this outside of this forum (2 incidents). I'd like to look at a machine when it's exhibiting the issue. Please log a Service Request so our support team can contact me in Engineering to setup a remote debug session.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

bbeachem;2202517 wrote:
I have not heard of this outside of this forum (2 incidents). I'd like to look at a machine when it's exhibiting the issue. Please log a Service Request so our support team can contact me in Engineering to setup a remote debug session.

Hi,

I have some log files, how can i send them to you?
A remote debug session will not be possible because these machines are already re-imaged.
I will first do an update with the latest service-packs and test again.

Herman

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Herman,

you would need to open a service request with novell...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.