Highlighted
Visitor.

Zen 11.3 server migration failed

Environment:
Windows 2008 (non R2) 32bit Primary server, first server in zone, so acts as the CA. ZCM 11.2.4
Windows 2008 R2 64 bit. ZCM 11.2.4

Wanting to test server migration from unsupported system to the new 2008 R2 server.

Migration started in accordance with documentation (setup -R). Systems are on the same segment. Firewalls are off. Originally both systems were using DHCP (these are test systems), this is what I believe caused original failure. Failure seemed to indicate that the networking portioned failed (don't have the original log files as I deleted them during the rollback of the VM). Fine, so we set the networking to what real servers would have (static IP addresses), restarted the servers and then attempted the upgrade again.

After the first few initial screens we get a "Zenwork Server Migration already started on same other machine" problem. I believe there is something in the database that is indicating this, but not quite sure (we're rolling the DB back right now to see).

Anyone else see this before?

Will post results of the rollback.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor.

Re: Zen 11.3 server migration failed

The rollback was too far back and we needed to reinstall the ZCM services on the R2 server because the server was not a member of the zone when the DB was backed up. So it looks like that test will be inconclusive. :eek:

Hopefully the main server having a static IP address will be what actually makes the migration go well.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Upgrade failed again

Environment:
Windows 2008 (non R2) 32bit Primary server, first server in zone, so acts as the CA. ZCM 11.2.4

Wanting to test server migration from unsupported system to the new 2008 R2 server.

Resolved the first problem where we had DHCP addresses

We basically got everything updated back to the point where we're ready to run the upgrade with the setup -r command to migrate from unsupported architecture. Everything was going well until we received the following error (once again):

LOCKED_DB_TO_MIGRATE : SUCCESS
ZMAN_BACKUP : SUCCESS
CONTENT_COPY : SUCCESS
ZMAN_RESTORE : FAILED
ZENWORKS_REGISTRY_MIGRATION : FAILED
UNLOCKED_DB_TO_FINISH_MIGRATION : FAILED
NETWORK_MIGRATION : FAILED

This was displayed in the migration screen and recorded in the log "C:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\ZENworks\logs\ZENSERVER_MIGRATION_STATUS"

Trying to find out why the restored failed, we find the following in the log file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\ZENworks\logs\ZENworks_Server_Migration_03_Jun_2014_16.01.08.log.xml"

Error:Failed to restore the configuration files. Ensure that the backed-up file and the passphrase specified are valid and correct. Also, ensure that you have the write permission to /etc/opt/novell/zenworks directory on Linux and <Installation directory>:\NovellZENworks\conf on Windows.
Error in restoring the backup: com.novell.zenworks.zman.exceptions.ZManException: Error in JNI call to ClearImageSafeData(): -106

Basically at this point the server migration is failed. This is the exact place it has failed for the last three times.

At this point I attempted to resolve the issue with clearing the image safe data using the utility ziswin. This failed with an application error:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Users\local_user\Desktop\ZISWIN.EXE". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis

This was resolved by downloading and applying Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1.

Once the runtime was installed the ziswin utility would run correctly, I wanted to clear the image safe data since that is what the server migration was attempting to do. I was able to do that with no issues. I would later revisit this utility.

So at this point I decided to perform a disaster recovery and move the configuration files to the new 64 bit server. This was a bit of a nightmare, but in the end I did accomplish it. Here's how.

Content was already backed up
External database already backed up
ZDC already run
Performed zman zenserver-backup on first primary server
Performed zman certificate-authority-export on first primary server
Copied backup files to the new 64 bit server (currently in the zone)
Shutdown the first primary server
On the 64 bit server, changed the server name to the old first primary servers name
On the 64 bit server, changed the IP address to the old first primary server
Performed zac unr -f, system unregistered (this might have been a mistake).
Performed a restart on the 64 bit server

At this point the 64 bit server has for most purposes assumed the identity of the first primary server. ZCC was operational and I could login. I removed the server object for the 64 bit servers previous name. One of the things I noticed was that the server had an error saying the zcm agent could not register.

Even though this was an issue, I attempted to upgrade the server to SP3, hoping the upgrade would resolve this. The upgrade would not continue since it saw that the server trying to be upgraded was still reported in the database as a 32 bit server. I needed to get the zcm agent talking to the zone so that it would report that it was now on a 64 bit server

I went through several iterations of clearing the image safe data and running zac fsg -d until it hit me. Take the data from the old first primary server and make sure the Device GUID and Device ID are the same on the new server. Additionally I copied the "C:\Program Files\Novell\ZENworks\conf\initial-web-service" and laced it in the appropriate folder on the 64 bit server "C:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\ZENworks\conf\initial-web-service". Once I restarted the server, the zcm agent began communicating to the zone correctly.

Once this worked, the upgrade to SP3 went smoothly. And to think, this was a test. I'll conduct it again, wondering what that will bring :confused:
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

For this error in the application log,

Error:Failed to restore the configuration files. Ensure that the backed-up file and the passphrase specified are valid and correct. Also, ensure that you have the write permission to /etc/opt/novell/zenworks directory on Linux and <Installation directory>:\NovellZENworks\conf on Windows.
Error in restoring the backup: com.novell.zenworks.zman.exceptions.ZManException: Error in JNI call to ClearImageSafeData(): -106

we're thinking that the lack of zenworks imaging files (zone is configured to disable the zenworks adaptive agent imaging files, so they are not there), is the casue. We're set to test today.

For this error in the application log,

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Users\local_user\Desktop\ZISWIN.EXE". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",pub licKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",versio n="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis

This is caused by using an earlier version of the ziswin, so I think when we updated the zone to have the imaging files, which will include ziswin, this will also be resolved. We'll know in a few hours, I'll post the results here.

The goal is to get a good server migration from 32 bit to 64 bit, then upgrade to 11.3
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Environment:
Windows 2008 (non R2) 32bit Primary server (VM), first server in zone, so acts as the CA. ZCM 11.2.4
Windows 2008 R2 64 bit (Physical). ZCM 11.2.4

Still failing the server migration, but we're narrowing it down to the real problem with the restore command. We can duplicate the issue if we attempt to run the zman zenserver-restore command on the new primary. It seems that it always comes back with Error in JNI call to ImageDataBridgeJNI.ClearImageSafeData(): ErrorCode = -106

Even if I take a new backup of the server and attempt to restore the backup we just created, it's failing with the same error. Doesn't seem to matter if we run the command from an administrative command prompt or not. So that is where we are at.

I ran the ziswin utility and looked at the history and can correlate the running of the restore command with the follwing status: Error occured while saving the image-safe data. The current user does not have rights to read and write image-safe data. I am an administrator on the server and have verified that UAC is turned off, so elevation should not be an issue.

The mode ziswin is running says collect.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have a similar situation. First Primary Server; ZCM 11.2.4, Windows 2003.

The ZCM 11.3 server migration failed at the end -- network move failed. The new server was deleted and the old server brought back.

Now we can't get past "Zenworks server migration already started".

Is there a way to get past the error stop?

jchipman;2321326 wrote:
Environment:

Migration started in accordance with documentation (setup -R). Systems are on the same segment. Firewalls are off. Originally both systems were using DHCP (these are test systems), this is what I believe caused original failure. Failure seemed to indicate that the networking portioned failed (don't have the original log files as I deleted them during the rollback of the VM). Fine, so we set the networking to what real servers would have (static IP addresses), restarted the servers and then attempted the upgrade again.

After the first few initial screens we get a "Zenwork Server Migration already started on same other machine" problem. I believe there is something in the database that is indicating this, but not quite sure (we're rolling the DB back right now to see).

Anyone else see this before?

Will post results of the rollback.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.