Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Zenwoks Agent does not retain machine DHCP info - Zenworks 2020 Update 1

Hi all,

Zenworks 2020 Update 1 user here, and is happening something funny in the last period: we have a fully automated procedure that 

1) Installs WIndows 10, version 1909

2) Installs the agent (latest version) ad then restarts

3) The procedure continues with all the software installations, settings and so on...

All worked like a charm up to Zenworks 2020 Update 1.

Now what is happening is that 1) and 2) are executed correctly. However, after the restart, the install procedure does not continue with step 3),

What I noticed is that:

-when the machine is completely NEW, eg just removed from the sealed box, then the full Installation works fine.

-if the computer was already  prepared in the past, and then the device is already known in Zenwoks, and I set "apply ruled base image bundle" because I want to re-image it, then the install procedure  hangs with the agent installation and the restart.

Checking with the zisedit tool in windows, I think I found the reason why it happens: the agent switches the DHCP on the local machine off, and assigns an ip like 192.168.x..x . (??)

I don't uderstand why this happens, and I don't know if there is a setting to force the agent not to tuch the network settings of the computer. According to the log, it seems that the agent can read the partition with those information... 

I also did  no change anything, apart from reverting back the preboot drivers (went back from June 2020 version to the previous one). Those new drivers were in fact kind of incompatible with our Surfaces (blocked at "loading udev in the preboot".

Has someone an idea why this happens? And a treick to solve it? Might this be a bug of Zenworks?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Well, there are several "masks" which can manipulate which info gets collected / restored (and when).

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2020/zen_cm_preboot_imaging/data/bg4iu9s.html

Could you, before laying down an image, check what's really sitting in ISD? And does the 192.168.x.x thing somehow match something in your network? Is DHCP really "off" or does the box maybe get it from a rogue DHCP?

If you like it: like it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Hi Mathias,

thanks for the reply. It seems I definitely solved the issue. I will write it here, should anyone else face a similar problem.

It seems that it did not matter if the information saved in the ZIS Image were correct or not (btw, they were): while installing the Agent 2020 Update 1, he was overwriting the info in the ZIS Environment with the false one (eg. 192.168.x.x). Why?

The local ip was coming from the Hyper-V functionality (the network adapter) that we had automatically activated in all our basic images. Essentially, where the old agent 2020 was picking up the correct network adapter, although the Hyper-v was also there, the new one (for some strange reason) only wanted to take the Hyper-V one. 

To solve the issue, we deactivated in the ground Image the Hyper-V functionality in Windows 10. The reason of this  "behavior change" in the new Zenworks Agent is not known to me or my team.

It would be nice to have in the future an option where we can manually specify in the Agent what kind of network card he has to choose from, when more than 1 is given.

Btw, thanks for your help!!

Dario

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I might suggest making that suggestion in an "Idea", https://community.microfocus.com/t5/ZCM-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/ZCMideas

If you'd like to find possibly why the behavior changed, I might suggest opening a service request.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This would be a bug........It should not be picking up the Hyper-V Virtual address.

If you can create an SR and get me the number, it would be appreciated.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Hi Craig,

I assume so. We also tested again the Image with the Hyper-V adapter activated and with the OLD Agent (2020 prior to Update 1) and the issue did not happen: the agent always took the right network card. Additionally, the changelog does not mention anything Agent-related, apart from some minor things on MAC systems. So it must be definitely a bug.

It would be nice tough to understand how the Agent picks up the network card (or the right one when more than one adapter is there, prior to Update 1). In the last few days, in an attempt to solve our issue,  I tried to search for information on the "Agent Manual", but I did not find anything relevant. 

For the SR, I'll try to do my best, but we always have a lot of work to do and it might require some time...

Best R.,

Dario

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes, the Physical NIC should always be picked up and not virtual.  I'm not are of any changes that would have impacted this, but sometimes some changes have unexpected impacts.  However, enabling those filters in your Image so that networking is not restored would work around the issue.  I recommend them for the SID as well, since if proper imaging is done with SYSPREP then SID restore is not necessary and may cause issues.  We have some logic to not restore when not necessary, but I'm not sure computer logic always bests human logic of just telling it to not happen since you know its not necessary in a proper imaging setup.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.