Donaldr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Zenworks 11.4 - Retiring the "First" Primary server

We have to replace our win 2008R2 servers with a more up to date OS.
To this end, I've joined a Win2016 server to our Zone, and would like to make this the "primary" primary server.

Any advice on how to do this?

Cheers,

Donald
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Zenworks 11.4 - Retiring the "First" Primary server

For Starters....Windows 2016 is not Supported in ZCM 11.4.x as a Primary Server.
Only Windows 2012.

Next you don't use the Agent but the Media to install a Primary Server.

You have 2 basic options.....

#1 - Add a 2nd Server to Your Zone and then migrate all roles and functions such as DB and CA over.
Then Retire the 1st Server....

#2 - Hardware Swap method....that does not add a 2nd server to the zone.

Both covered here.....
https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks114/zen11_sys_disaster_recovery/data/brtyb40.html

May also want to review the ZCM 17.4 docs in the same section....
For the most part little has changed...but the newer docs may have but updated with more clarity on different steps.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Donaldr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Zenworks 11.4 - Retiring the "First" Primary server

Not supported or doesn't work? I've added a 2016 server to the zone, and it seems to be performing well.

The problem is, management are not happy to take down zenworks to upgrade it, but are quite happy to tell me that our 2008R2 servers have to go. I cant win, so I do what I can.

CRAIGDWILSON;2495702 wrote:
For Starters....Windows 2016 is not Supported in ZCM 11.4.x as a Primary Server.
Only Windows 2012.

Next you don't use the Agent but the Media to install a Primary Server.

You have 2 basic options.....

#1 - Add a 2nd Server to Your Zone and then migrate all roles and functions such as DB and CA over.
Then Retire the 1st Server....

#2 - Hardware Swap method....that does not add a 2nd server to the zone.

Both covered here.....
https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks114/zen11_sys_disaster_recovery/data/brtyb40.html

May also want to review the ZCM 17.4 docs in the same section....
For the most part little has changed...but the newer docs may have but updated with more clarity on different steps.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.