Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Zenworks Offsite Access?

Jump to solution

Hi All

We recently upgraded our server to Zenworks 2020 and I am sure we are only scratching the surface of what Zenworks can do, we have recently had more time to start making use of some of the newer features of Zenworks anf have been trying to implement them to our system. The main change we want to do is make sure Zenworks works whilst computers are offsite.

Mainly we want bundles to run properly off site as during the lockdown it seems that many of our suppliers are pushing out a lot of software updates. Now most of our staff do come into work on a rota basis and are getting updates then but not all staff, so it would be nice to make sure that the ones that don’t come in get the software updates as well. Is this possible?

If someone could point me in the direction of a guide or give me any tips on how to go about this that would be great most of our installers are on a network share, so I am not sure how this will work.

Our main goals for this are as follows.

Bundles to install/update offsite
Can the client/agent update offsite?
Can remote control work offsite?

We know bundles are trying to run offsite but because they do not have access to the network share they keep failing “could not download content for the bundle, XXXXXXXXXX, because the Zenworks server is not accessible”, I assume this is because the laptops cannot connect to the onsite storage server.

I have tried looking for information but I seem to have an increasingly annoying ability to never find the information I am looking for.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Regards,

John

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Zenworks Offsite Access?

Jump to solution

You would want to place a Primary Server in your DMZ so devices can talk to it to get updates.

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2020/zen_cm_deployment_bp/data/t49ien3dfhis.html

This will let them install software, get new bundles, run inventory scans, etc...

Note: You would want to configure a "Join Proxy" in the location rule for devices outside of yoru network to assist with Remote Control of Home Users.  The "Join Proxy" is only used for Remote Control.  

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

You would want to place a Primary Server in your DMZ so devices can talk to it to get updates.

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2020/zen_cm_deployment_bp/data/t49ien3dfhis.html

This will let them install software, get new bundles, run inventory scans, etc...

Note: You would want to configure a "Join Proxy" in the location rule for devices outside of yoru network to assist with Remote Control of Home Users.  The "Join Proxy" is only used for Remote Control.  

--

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Note: If your bundles are pointing to in internal network share, then devices would need a VPN.  If you configure your bundles to use the "Content-Repo", then those would be available on your DMZ Server and deliverable over the internet.

--
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for the information very much appreciated, I had a bit of a feeling that we might need a server in the DMZ but I was not sure. I will this look into this properly and see what I can do.

Thanks,

John

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.