Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2642 views

Zenworks window keeps going blank

Hey all,

Running ZCM server 10.3.2 and agent version 10.3.2.41992
Bundle Management 10.3.2.1088
Content Distribution point 10.3.2.948
Image Management 10.3.2.335
Inventory Management 10.3.2.647
Policy Management 10.3.2.7941
Remote Management 10.3.2.893
User Management 10.3.2.948

Our zenworks window on various windows 7 32bit SP1 devices keeps going blank (drops off the zone If we re-register the machine, it works again but this keeps happening across random devices, both desktops and laptops

The laptops use wireless most of the time but occasionally use ethernet connections too. our DHCP leases are for 1 day

I had a look through the logs and the logs give this message most days:

[DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.953] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10] [] [ZMD] [] [Looking for Capability: registration] [] []
[DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.953] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10] [] [ZMD] [] [Capability: registration] [] []
[DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.953] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10] [] [ConnectMan] [] [FindFirstContent()] [] []
[DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.953] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10] [] [ConnectMan] [] [ ] [] []
[DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.953] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10] [] [ConnectMan] [] [ ] [] []
[DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.953] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10] [] [ConnectMan] [] [ Could not find host: zenworks.<removed>] [] []
[DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.963] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10] [] [ConnectMan] [] [Trying to locate source location: https://zenworks.<removed>/zenworks-registration/registration] [] []
[DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.963] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10] [] [ConnectMan] [] [ Host name to resolve: zenworks.<removed>] [] []
[DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.963] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10] [] [ConnectMan] [] [ Adding host: zenworks.<removed>, status: Unknown] [] []
[DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.963] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10] [] [ConnectMan] [] [ Host: zenworks.<removed>, IP address: 172.16.0.37] [] []
[DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.963] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10] [] [ConnectMan] [] [ Adding IP address: 172.16.0.37] [] []
[DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.973] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10] [] [ConnectMan] [] [ Adding IP Uri https://172.16.0.37/zenworks-registration/registration status: Unknown] [] []
[DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.973] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10] [] [ConnectMan] [] [ Pinging location: https://172.16.0.37/zenworks-registration/registration] [] []

any ideas why most days it is trying to reregister??

Thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Zenworks window keeps going blank

Wcc,

that's trying to register the agent components I think, not register
the workstation - it's trying to see if you've disabled any agent
components

--

Shaun Pond


0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Zenworks window keeps going blank

Lost Registration is something that I used to see now and then, but seem
quite uncommon now on current code, though I dont recall any specific
bug/fix.

Below are a couple of scripts that can be called from login scripts to
address a couple different registration issues.

Script to Fix Duplicate GUIDs.
==============================================================================================
@echo on
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%A IN ('type "%zenworks_home%\conf\deviceguid" ^|
find /i /c "57228a9d13075b4ab0fedcd55d4b5d6c"') DO SET act=%%A
if %act% == 0 goto :nothing

zac reg -g -u administrator -p secret http://192.168.1.111
exit

:nothing
===============================================================================================


Script to Fix Unregistered Devices
=============================================================================
@echo off
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%A IN ('zac zc -l ^| find /i /c "Role:
CONFIGURATION"') DO SET act=%%A
if %act% == 0 goto :zacreg
exit

:zacreg
zac reg -g -u administrator -p secret http://192.168.1.111
==============================================================================================

On 10/25/2011 11:06 PM, wcc admin wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> Running ZCM server 10.3.2 and agent version 10.3.2.41992
> Bundle Management 10.3.2.1088
> Content Distribution point 10.3.2.948
> Image Management 10.3.2.335
> Inventory Management 10.3.2.647
> Policy Management 10.3.2.7941
> Remote Management 10.3.2.893
> User Management 10.3.2.948
>
> Our zenworks window on various windows 7 32bit SP1 devices keeps going
> blank (drops off the zone If we re-register the machine, it works again
> but this keeps happening across random devices, both desktops and
> laptops
>
> The laptops use wireless most of the time but occasionally use ethernet
> connections too. our DHCP leases are for 1 day
>
> I had a look through the logs and the logs give this message most
> days:
>
> [DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.953] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10]
> [] [ZMD] [] [Looking for Capability: registration] [] []
> [DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.953] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10]
> [] [ZMD] [] [Capability: registration] [] []
> [DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.953] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10]
> [] [ConnectMan] [] [FindFirstContent()] [] []
> [DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.953] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10]
> [] [ConnectMan] [] [ ] [] []
> [DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.953] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10]
> [] [ConnectMan] [] [ ] [] []
> [DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.953] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10]
> [] [ConnectMan] [] [ Could not find host: zenworks.<removed>] [] []
> [DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.963] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10]
> [] [ConnectMan] [] [Trying to locate source location:
> https://zenworks.<removed>/zenworks-registration/registration] [] []
> [DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.963] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10]
> [] [ConnectMan] [] [ Host name to resolve: zenworks.<removed>] [] []
> [DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.963] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10]
> [] [ConnectMan] [] [ Adding host: zenworks.<removed>, status: Unknown]
> [] []
> [DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.963] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10]
> [] [ConnectMan] [] [ Host: zenworks.<removed>, IP address:
> 172.16.0.37] [] []
> [DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.963] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10]
> [] [ConnectMan] [] [ Adding IP address: 172.16.0.37] [] []
> [DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.973] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10]
> [] [ConnectMan] [] [ Adding IP Uri
> https://172.16.0.37/zenworks-registration/registration status: Unknown]
> [] []
> [DEBUG] [10/19/2011 07:16:09.973] [1560] [ZenworksWindowsService] [10]
> [] [ConnectMan] [] [ Pinging location:
> https://172.16.0.37/zenworks-registration/registration] [] []
>
> any ideas why most days it is trying to reregister??
>
> Thanks
>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Zenworks window keeps going blank

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses so far.. I dont really want to do the login script idea as the password will be sitting there in plaintext which isn't really desirable..

I was wondering if there was anything else I could try or look in the logs for?
Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Zenworks window keeps going blank

Create a new Administrator in ZCM, and grant him only device
create/delete rights.

Then after the fix, delete the user again
--
Tommy Mikkelsen
IT Quality A/S, Denmark
Novell Support Forums SYSOP / NKP

Sorry, but no support through email
Please join http://www.open-horizons.net


wcc admin wrote:

> I dont really want to do the login
> script idea as the password will be sitting there in plaintext which
> isn't really desirable..


Best Regards Tommy Mikkelsen Denmark Please Report back any success or failure, That way we all learn Sorry, but no support through email "I hate bugs".......Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Zenworks window keeps going blank

Thanks for the suggestions - ill take a look into doing that for future use

I've had a further look through the logs and found this:


[DEBUG] [11/03/2011 12:03:37.137] [1452] [ZenworksWindowsService] [28] [] [WebService] [] [Server returned a valid response from getZoneConfiguration(), but one of the ZoneConfigurationType.Items objects is an error. Code = -101 (Invalid device); Message = Device not found: 2715082f540c2f4b8b71fc0b0a73f86d] [] []
[DEBUG] [11/03/2011 12:03:37.357] [1452] [ZenworksWindowsService] [28] [] [QuickTasks] [] [Exception calling QuickTaskService.getQuickTasks
Type: System.Net.WebException
Message: The request failed with HTTP status 403: Forbidden.
Status: ProtocolError
Response: System.Net.HttpWebResponse
Stack Trace:
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object() parameters)
at Novell.Zenworks.QuickTaskManager.QuickTasksService.getQuickTasks(GetQuickTasksRequest GetQuickTasksRequest)
at Novell.Zenworks.QuickTaskManager.QuickTaskWebService.GetQuickTasks(Session session, String identity, String newSecurityTag)

] [] []


Could not find anything in the server logs to verify what was going on.. any ideas?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Zenworks window keeps going blank

TID 7009017 perhaps

--
Tommy Mikkelsen
IT Quality A/S, Denmark
Novell Support Forums SYSOP / NKP

Sorry, but no support through email
Please join http://www.open-horizons.net


wcc admin wrote:

>
> Thanks for the suggestions - ill take a look into doing that for
> future use
>
> I've had a further look through the logs and found this:
>
>
> [DEBUG] [11/03/2011 12:03:37.137] [1452] [ZenworksWindowsService] [28]
> [] [WebService] [] [Server returned a valid response from
> getZoneConfiguration(), but one of the ZoneConfigurationType.Items
> objects is an error. Code = -101 (Invalid device); Message = Device
> not found: 2715082f540c2f4b8b71fc0b0a73f86d] [] []
> [DEBUG] [11/03/2011 12:03:37.357] [1452] [ZenworksWindowsService] [28]
> [] [QuickTasks] [] [Exception calling QuickTaskService.getQuickTasks
> Type: System.Net.WebException
> Message: The request failed with HTTP status 403: Forbidden.
> Status: ProtocolError
> Response: System.Net.HttpWebResponse
> Stack Trace:
> at
> System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(Soap
> ClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream,
> Boolean asyncCall)
> at
> System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
> methodName, Object() parameters)
> at
> Novell.Zenworks.QuickTaskManager.QuickTasksService.getQuickTasks(GetQu
> ickTasksRequest GetQuickTasksRequest)
> at
> Novell.Zenworks.QuickTaskManager.QuickTaskWebService.GetQuickTasks(Ses
> sion session, String identity, String newSecurityTag)
>
> ] [] []
>
>
> Could not find anything in the server logs to verify what was going
> on.. any ideas?


Best Regards Tommy Mikkelsen Denmark Please Report back any success or failure, That way we all learn Sorry, but no support through email "I hate bugs".......Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Zenworks window keeps going blank

Thanks for the TID on the quicktasks - I had seen that but we dont really assign quicktasks
This issue is really becoming a problem for us now, to the point where management are suggesting ditching ZCM.. can anyone suggest anything I can do to try and work out why they are going blank? We have at least 10 workstations going blank every single day across ~1000 clients

We licence zcm through an academic bundle so official support is not available
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Zenworks window keeps going blank

Do try and run the SQL query mentioned in the TID anyway.

It'll only count the amount of entries, that's all

--
Tommy Mikkelsen
IT Quality A/S, Denmark
Novell Support Forums SYSOP / NKP

Sorry, but no support through email
Please join http://www.open-horizons.net


wcc admin wrote:

> Thanks for the TID on the quicktasks - I had seen that but we dont
> really assign quicktasks


Best Regards Tommy Mikkelsen Denmark Please Report back any success or failure, That way we all learn Sorry, but no support through email "I hate bugs".......Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Zenworks window keeps going blank

hey,

Ran the SQL query - and got 1840! I guess perhaps I am not understanding quicktasks properly - are they something the system will generate? Is a quicktask generated everytime we re-register a workstation?

Can I just run a sql delete command on those entries and could this be the cause of our zenworks machines dropping off? I checked the sever itself just then and the cpu is running at about 10% but memory usage may be a little high (ZenLoader 1.1Gb, Zenserver 562mb)

Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Zenworks window keeps going blank

AFAIK, Quicktasks are used by admins, as well as internally, depending
on what admin says...Like deploy a new agent etc......

I would first recommend a simple restart of your primary, to see if
that doen't kickstart stuff, and if not, then shutdown the db, make a
backup, and then delete..after that, restart
--
Tommy Mikkelsen
IT Quality A/S, Denmark
Novell Support Forums SYSOP / NKP

Sorry, but no support through email
Please join http://www.open-horizons.net


wcc admin wrote:

>
> hey,
>
> Ran the SQL query - and got 1840! I guess perhaps I am not
> understanding quicktasks properly - are they something the system will
> generate? Is a quicktask generated everytime we re-register a
> workstation?
>
> Can I just run a sql delete command on those entries and could this be
> the cause of our zenworks machines dropping off? I checked the sever
> itself just then and the cpu is running at about 10% but memory usage
> may be a little high (ZenLoader 1.1Gb, Zenserver 562mb)
>
> Thanks


Best Regards Tommy Mikkelsen Denmark Please Report back any success or failure, That way we all learn Sorry, but no support through email "I hate bugs".......Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Zenworks window keeps going blank

Thanks I'll give this a try tonight.. I already tried rebooting the server (we only have 1) and it hasn't seemed to have helped so will try the backup db, delete entries method and see how it goes

THanks
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.