Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

database backup interval

running an external ms sql db and db backups are starting to pile up.

i'm curious to hear from folks as to what their retention policy is for
zcm db backups? a week, a month, three months, a year? thanks.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: database backup interval

_jd_ wrote:

> running an external ms sql db and db backups are starting to pile up.
>
> i'm curious to hear from folks as to what their retention policy is for zcm db backups? a week, a month, three months, a year? thanks.

Well... I don't see any need of having a lot of old backups. A week at most. I do a full backup every day, tlog backup every hour - all to eksternal locations.
But yes, it's up to you 😉

--
Niels

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thx! yeah just doing the whole due diligence thing before i give the db
admin the go ahead to change the retention period. i keep getting side
tracked with other projects so my comfort level with zcm11 isn't quite
where i'd like it be, yet. 😉

aside from disaster recovery, i can't see the need to go too far into
backups unless we wanted to pull say inventory info for a machine that
had been removed from the zone. and not too sure why we'd really even
need to do that...

On 11/17/2012 3:27 PM, Niels Poulsen wrote:
> _jd_ wrote:
>
>> running an external ms sql db and db backups are starting to pile up.
>>
>> i'm curious to hear from folks as to what their retention policy is for zcm db backups? a week, a month, three months, a year? thanks.

>
> Well... I don't see any need of having a lot of old backups. A week at most. I do a full backup every day, tlog backup every hour - all to eksternal locations.
> But yes, it's up to you 😉
>

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

_jd_ wrote:

> thx! yeah just doing the whole due diligence thing before i give the db admin the go ahead to change the retention period. i keep getting side tracked with other projects so my comfort level with zcm11 isn't quite where i'd like it be, yet. 😉
>
> aside from disaster recovery, i can't see the need to go too far into backups unless we wanted to pull say inventory info for a machine that had been removed from the zone. and not too sure why we'd really even need to do that...
>
> On 11/17/2012 3:27 PM, Niels Poulsen wrote:
> > _jd_ wrote:
> >
> > > running an external ms sql db and db backups are starting to pile up.
> > >
> > > i'm curious to hear from folks as to what their retention policy is for zcm db backups? a week, a month, three months, a year? thanks.

> >
> > Well... I don't see any need of having a lot of old backups. A week at most. I do a full backup every day, tlog backup every hour - all to eksternal locations.
> > But yes, it's up to you 😉
> >

Yes a small thing to keep a long set of backups for... 😉

--
Niels

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
gleach1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

most of the installs i've done I keep the backups for a week, sometimes 2

if ZCM breaks and you need DR you would usually want the newest backup possible anyway, I even think the sites that keep 2 weeks worth is a bit over the top

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

gleach1 wrote:

>
> most of the installs i've done I keep the backups for a week, sometimes
> 2
>
> if ZCM breaks and you need DR you would usually want the newest backup
> possible anyway, I even think the sites that keep 2 weeks worth is a bit
> over the top

Two weeks would, in "my" case, make a backup content of 110GB, so I'll go with a couple of days 😉

--
Niels

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.