gersau Absent Member.
Absent Member.

multiple devices with the same GUID

Hi,

According to the Zenworks Command line utilities reference https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks11/zen11_utils/data/bb15p2z.html
There exists an option to register a device with a new GUID by doing the following...

register (reg) [-g] [-k <key>] [-u <username> -p <password] <ZENworks Server address:port>
Registers the device in a Management Zone.

You can use the following options:

g - Lets you create a new device object with a new GUID and password for the device if you have multiple devices with the same GUID. When you register a device by using this switch, all the associations (policies and bundles) assigned to the original device object are removed. You cannot use this option to create a new GUID for a Primary Server or a Satellite device. The local user must have Local Administrator rights to use this option.

I would like to know if it is possible to have such a command line option for the agent installation. So built into the agent installer, a command line option to force the agent to register with a new GUID.

We are having CONTINUOUS problems with the above scenario. When we move devices from one computer lab to another and re-image the device, Zenworks keps trying to assign the same GUID to the device and this mixes up our Dynamic Workstation groups, which then affect the applicable policies to each device.

I would like to know if there is an option to tell the installer to stop remembering the GUID and simply register the device with a new guid on agent installation.
This way we can build that into the post imaging scripts which install the zenworks agent.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: multiple devices with the same GUID

gersau,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://www.novell.com/support and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I would recommend looking at your reconciliation rules.
You may want to ensure that "Device Name" is a required match...assuming the device name changes when it changes labs.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
gersau Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Craig,

So I had a look at the current reconciliation rules in the ZCM Control Center. I am assuming you are referring to the one's found in "Configuration > Registration"

The configuration is as follows:
Device Naming Template:
Configured to ${DNS}

Registration Rules:
Enable use of Device Management Registration Rules - Ticked
Enable use of Device Management default registration rules - Ticked

Device Dynamic Rename:
Enable automatic renaming of devices - Ticked

Reconcile Settings:
Serial Number - Unticked
Mac Address - Unticked
Machine Name - Unticked
Enable Differentiation - Ticked

The default configuration I think has all of the "Reconcile Settings" ticked but I removed these in the hope that this would solve this problem.

How would I ensure that "Device Name" is a required match? And yes your assumption is correct, the device netBIOS as well as Hostname does change when it changes labs.

A bit of background:
A machine is imaged initially, then moved to another lab and re-imaged from the Zenworks Imaging Client.
The DNS name is changed before moving to the new computer lab and the machine netBIOS name is changed in the post imaging install scripts via a tool called WSNAME to match the network DNS/Hostname. Thereafter, after a reboot, another post imaging script installs the Zenworks agent.
At this point the problem starts because the agent installation renames the device back to its old name found in the Zenworks Database that matches the Zenworks GUID. This last part is the issue. We do not want Zenworks to try and reconcile the device name or GUID in any way, is that possible without manually unregistering and reregistering the machine with the zac -g command?

Also, can someone explain to me the use case for the default reconciliation rules? Why does ZCM try to rename and re-use the GUID of devices in the first place?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

gersau;2350886 wrote:
Also, can someone explain to me the use case for the default reconciliation rules? Why does ZCM try to rename and re-use the GUID of devices in the first place?

Quite Simple,

Let's say a HDD Dies and you replace it.
All you need to do is bring down an image and the machine will come back as it was with all the same WS and Device associations.

The same thing could apply if bringing in new Hardware.
If a new computer were to replace an old computer but the name stayed the same, everything could be automatic depending on the rules setup.

It is all a matter of how you tell ZCM to reconcile devices.

The Help in the ZCC under these items should explain how it works so you can setup your rules to meet your use cases.
--
0 Likes
gersau Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Craig,

OK, I've had a look at the ZCM Reconcile rules and run a few tests to see if it is possible to get the machines not to reconcile (use a new GUID after imaging).
As I have explained before, sometimes this result is desired in our case especially when we move machines around from lab to lab.

So far, no matter what configuration I use, I cannot get Zenworks to generate a new GUID for a device that is getting re-imaged (without doing so only after the fact by unregistering the machine and reregistering the machine via the zac und and zac reg -g).

We use dynamic workstation groups to assign policies and bundles to machines so reconciling the devices is not necessary most of the time. We need an option to tell the machine to register with a new GUID on installation of the agent. Surely such an option can be built into the agent installer?

The options in the ZCM config management "reconcile settings" I tested with are:
Serial Number - Unticked/Unselected
Mac Address - Unticked/Unselected
Machine Name - Unticked/Unselected
Enable Differentiation - Unticked/Unselected

I then also tested:
Machine Name - Ticked/Selected
Enable Differentation - Ticked/Selected

and also:
Machine Name - Ticked/Selected
Enable Differentation - Unticked/Unselected

With all three different configurations, I re-imaged the same machine, which renames the machine via the first post imaging installation script to match the DNS name. Thereafter the Zenworks agent gets installed, which then renames the machine back to what it was registered into the Zenworks database with on first installation.
We need a method of telling Zenworks NOT to reconcile when we want it to. It should not reconcile every time and thereby rename the machine netBIOS name.

Is there any way to achieve this?

CRAIGDWILSON;2350897 wrote:
Quite Simple,

Let's say a HDD Dies and you replace it.
All you need to do is bring down an image and the machine will come back as it was with all the same WS and Device associations.

The same thing could apply if bringing in new Hardware.
If a new computer were to replace an old computer but the name stayed the same, everything could be automatic depending on the rules setup.

It is all a matter of how you tell ZCM to reconcile devices.

The Help in the ZCC under these items should explain how it works so you can setup your rules to meet your use cases.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you want to prevent a device from registering upon agent install, you can build a custom agent package and specify an invalid server.
Then the agent will not register until you run "zac reg"
--
0 Likes
gersau Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi, I don't think that is going to work. We actually want the machines to register, just that we want to have the option to tell Zenworks to register the device with a new GUID from the installer itself.

In other words something like "FilePathToZCMAgentInstaller\PreAgentPkg_Agent.exe" -g (where "g" represents registering the device with a new GUID).
This option exists within the zac commands which is only usable once the agent is actually installed on the machine. ZAC reg -g achieves this, why does this option not exist when installing the agent which automatically seems to register the device with the Zenworks server with the default registration parameters.

In other words, installing the Zenworks agent on a machine automatically does "zac reg" on installation. Is there no way of telling the agent installer that you specifically want it to register with a new GUID.

Perhaps I am looking at this the wrong way and there is another way of getting around this issue but the initial reason for asking this question is because we keep getting device GUID conflicts with machines that move around the network and get re-assigned.
Zenworks automatically wants to reconcile the device and with that forcefully rename the device NetBIOS name to the name it recognizes in the ZCM database. So far I have not found a way of telling it to leave the device name alone, or to go one step further by telling it on agent installation to specifically register the device with a new GUID.

CRAIGDWILSON;2392181 wrote:
If you want to prevent a device from registering upon agent install, you can build a custom agent package and specify an invalid server.
Then the agent will not register until you run "zac reg"
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You would just need to manually register the machine after you install the agent.
There is no option in the agent as you are requesting.

The ZENworks Agent will NOT rename a PCs NetBios Name Unless the "Just Imaged Flag=True" in the ZISD.
If So, it will then pickup and use that info.

You may want to clear ZISD as part of your ZENworks Imaging Restore if you are redeploying as something else.
You can call "zisedit" in your imaging script.
--
0 Likes
gersau Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2392545 wrote:

The ZENworks Agent will NOT rename a PCs NetBios Name Unless the "Just Imaged Flag=True" in the ZISD.
If So, it will then pickup and use that info.
You may want to clear ZISD as part of your ZENworks Imaging Restore if you are redeploying as something else.
You can call "zisedit" in your imaging script.

Hi Craig, alright when I read this post, I immediately thought to myself, this is it. This will finally allow me to get Zenworks to "forget" about the machine.
The problem however, is that each and every machine that I have checked so far, currently has it's "just Imaged Flag=False" as well as "Scripted Image Flag=False" and "Last Base Image=Not found"

Now it doesn't make any sense. I wanted to clear the image safe data thinking that would solve the issue but because you mentioned that machines will only rename themslelves to the name that existed in the ZCM database if the "Just Imaged Flag=True".

Now it is even more confusing as to how the machines are remembering their initial zenworks configuration if this setting is false in our environment anyway.
In our scenario, when imaging machines, we manually image machines via the Zenworks Imaging Client via Maintenance Mode (PXEBoot).

In which circumstances then does the "Just Imaged Flag" get set to true via device imaging?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

On Boot, the ZISD Service will check to see if ZISD is true.
If So, it will try and restore the ZISD Items.
Then it toggles itself to false.

It is also possible to set registry keys on the device so that ZISWIN does not restore certain items.
http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3302285
I would set these in the image.
--
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.