jcsmith1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: "Pending" when using Recurring - When Device Refreshed

Jared,

Please tell me this is another screw up like that 8 hour group refresh that was only in 10.3.0.

Version stamping is SUPPOSED to deploy the entire bundle again. We have over 50 bundles based on this concept and those bundles are maintained by a group who has been doing this for maybe a decade (how old was Zen 7?).

Am I really supposed to say "Now you have to add an Action that does something like add a new folder to C:\temp, but make sure it's something you didn't use last time or it won't deploy when you version stamp it."

This had to have changed with version 10.3 because this is the first time I've gotten a call about this being a problem ever.

I'm not sure what to do? I really want to call Novell and find out WHY they changed this. The concept behind these bundles has been the same since Zen 7. All our documentation states they simply have to version stamp and the next day they get their new apps when they launch. I even trained the guys who update the apps how to version stamp in Zen 10 just for that purpose.

The concept goes like this; I made a bundle called "Open Bob" that deploys Z:\bob.txt to C:\bob.txt using Install, then launches bob.txt using notepad.exe. The next time they double click "Open Bob" it just simply opens bob.txt. Another group controls what goes inside Z:\bob.txt and whenever they change it they contact another group who has rights to that location and they update it then version stamp the bundle so it goes out to everyone.

However, now when they version stamp it the people who called in requesting bob.txt to be changed ask why bob.txt is still the old bob.txt. And oh, by the way, there are 50+ bundles that work exactly like that, only they aren't copying a txt file, they're copying java client software.

Jared Jennings;2055574 wrote:

Actually this is what I would expect. Unlike in the previous versions of
ZEN, bumping the version number of a bundle does not cause it to
re-install. It will only perform installations if any of the actions
actually changed.

Try this please - Created a bundle with a launch action, like launches
calc or notepad or such. Set the bundle to whatever schedule you prefer
for launch. Like user login or refresh , etc. See if you get the same
results as before.

--
Jared Jennings
Senior Systems Architect, Data Technique, Inc.
Data Technique, Inc. | Information Technology Consulting Solutions

My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
Main Page - ZENWorks Wiki
Twitter@ jaredljennings
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

jcsmith1,

>Version stamping is *-SUPPOSED -*to deploy the entire bundle again. We
>have over 50 bundles based on this concept and those bundles are
>maintained by a group who has been doing this for maybe a decade (how
>old was Zen 7?).

I will double-check this, but I am fairly sure.

--
Jared Jennings
Senior Systems Architect, Data Technique, Inc.
http://www.datatechnique.com

My Blog and Wiki with Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
http://jaredjennings.org
Twitter@ jaredljennings
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jcsmith1,

> Version stamping is *-SUPPOSED -*to deploy the entire bundle again.
>

not in ZCM 10, and this is how it's been in ZCM 10, as far as I know,
since it was released.

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
ZeleD Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've had similiar issue but got it solved somewho.

I found that using the install tab would make the bundle deploy once, increasing the version number would do nothing.

Recreated all action in Launch tab and made sure the "run once" was deselected, and it solved it for me.

If you havent changed the ZCM Defaults, the Agent will only refresh every 12hrs, a reboot is not refreshing the bundles.

There are 2 refresh schedules when using timed refreshes.

Full Refresh Schedule: Refresh everything
Partial Refresh Schedule: Only perform Policies, Settings, and Registration refresh

I recall the default Full refresh is 12hours unless you change it (as I did).
Cannot remember the Partial but think it was 2 or 4 hours.

A reboot will not refresh the agent, which probably was the case with ZFD 7 (it was with version 4 which was the version I used prior to ZCM)

You can see your current refresh settings in the ZCC Configuration > Device management > Device refresh Schedule

A little tip if you want to inform the users that something was changed, you can add a user prompt with your own text like "Bob.txt was updated to a new version". This way those who gets the update would know.

/ZeleD IT Administrator. Former CNE, MCNE and CNI
0 Likes
jcsmith1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've modified many of my bundles to work that way now, but there are many which were copies of each other that worked by using the Install action and the Launch actions seperately. Sadly there are bunches of them and I get calls about new ones requiring changes and now I'm having to manage them individually while trying to think of a way to do it so that the other group can continue controlling them.

Incidently the other day I was in a demo with ENGL about migrating to the latest version of their product and they said "It's like going from Zen 7 to Zen 10" and I was taken back and said "But, that was a nightmare!" 🙂
0 Likes
ZeleD Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Must admit the swap from ZFD 4 to ZCM 10.3 wasnt as easy as I would have wanted.
And I think we both can agree that a version increase should make an install action redeploy, as it did before with ZFD.

But now when i've been working with ZCM for some time, the old ZFD method with installing files, is actually the ZCM version of Launch actions.

Perhaps create a 1byte dummy file and set it as an requirement would do the trick, and use the "install always option".
Like "if file c:\bob.txt does not exists". and make sure you install the file during the install actions.

This *might* actually do the trick.

/ZeleD IT Administrator. Former CNE, MCNE and CNI
0 Likes
jcsmith1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZeleD;2069103 wrote:
Must admit the swap from ZFD 4 to ZCM 10.3 wasnt as easy as I would have wanted.
And I think we both can agree that a version increase should make an install action redeploy, as it did before with ZFD.

I agree. I really loved the fact that all I had to do was change the file at the source, version stamp and be done with it. Now I have to do all that and add an action like creating a randomly named directory in C:\Temp, THEN and only then, does it actually do something.

By the way, the original question I asked has popped up again. For some reason a deployment of some software screwed up and configuration files did not copy so I made a second bundle just to recopy the configuration files with a rule that the product is missing one of the configuration files. I deployed in late December and yesterday when working with a user who was asking about strange prompts I realized he didn't have the proper configuration. Before doing anything I decided to just refresh Zen on his workstation. I checked Show Progress and sure enough it deployed right then.

It's February now... I deployed this in December.

When I look at the Bundle Status I see the following:
User: Targeted 1869
Effective 842
Not Effective: 1904
Pending N/A
Overall Deployment Status:
User: Pending 431
Succeeded 410
Failed 1

Is this telling me there are 431 users who need to manually refresh their boxes in order to get these new configurations?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.