Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

what happens when a exe is replaced

Jump to solution

I've deployed a program (exe) but I want to replace it with the updated version.

Do I need to remove/delete the old exe?  If so how?

If not, what happens to the old exe ?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: what happens when a exe is replaced

Jump to solution

Depends upon the program.  Your post makes it sound like this program is a simple one file executable.  If so you could just replace the file in the bundle.  If it is a more complex program, it would make more sense in my opinion to make a copy of the bundle and modify it as needed to install the new program.  Whether you need to uninstall the older version first depends upon the program itself.  When I create bundles to install the GroupWise client, I don't worry about uninstall.  When the new version is installed, it just upgrades the existing install.  However, some programs don't upgrade very well and recommend uninstalling first.  Then I just include a task in the bundle to run the uninstall process.  Sometimes I use WMIC to handle the uninstall.  Short answer, I just try to mimic with a bundle the recommendation from the program authors.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums within this community!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Depends upon the program.  Your post makes it sound like this program is a simple one file executable.  If so you could just replace the file in the bundle.  If it is a more complex program, it would make more sense in my opinion to make a copy of the bundle and modify it as needed to install the new program.  Whether you need to uninstall the older version first depends upon the program itself.  When I create bundles to install the GroupWise client, I don't worry about uninstall.  When the new version is installed, it just upgrades the existing install.  However, some programs don't upgrade very well and recommend uninstalling first.  Then I just include a task in the bundle to run the uninstall process.  Sometimes I use WMIC to handle the uninstall.  Short answer, I just try to mimic with a bundle the recommendation from the program authors.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums within this community!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Just reiterate what Ken Said, ZENworks simply automates Windows Commands.  How you do something with ZENworks is basically the same when doing it manually outside of ZENworks.  What happens when ZENworks does something is the same as when done outside of ZENworks.

ZENworks, however, will handle "Locked" files if you are updating a locked file using the "Install File" action.  The install is called using Windows APIs that will cause the update to be scheduled upon system restart using "PendingFileRenameOption" registry keys.

Any time you want to "Install" or "Upgrade" a piece of software, simply start with the Instructions for that software and tell ZENworks to issue those same commands.

ZENworks itself is rather simple.  Understanding Windows is harder.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

I've tried just replacing the MSI in the bundle.  It now doesn't install.  Do the MSI file have to be uniquely names?

Both old and new have the same filename.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

They would not need to be unique.  ZCM will detect the MD5 difference and install the one specified.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Assuming that the newer MSI installs fine manually, you might want to check the advanced tab for the "executable security level" and make sure it is set correctly.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.