Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
gturcsik Absent Member.
Absent Member.

z_maint.cfg or z_maint64.cfg

Hi,

What is the requirements for a machine what boot on PXE and load the z_maint.cfg (or z_auto.cfg) or z_maint64.cfg (or z_auto64.cfg) configuration files?
How can I control when which cfg use?

Example:
There are 2 tntfs.ko for x86 and x64.
I use a VMware virtual machine for a base image. It loads the z_maint.cfg when boot (and make the img with tntfs.ko for x86).
I try to restore this image on a physical machine, but it loads the z_maint64.cfg.
Under the restore process have an error that the imaging not use the correct tuxera driver.

It is correct that the image created with tuxera for x86, but when tried to restore it used tuxera for x64?

The environment:
ZCM 2017 Update 2 and Imaging Driver March 2018

Regards,
Gergely
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: z_maint.cfg or z_maint64.cfg

Change your VMware Machine to boot using UEFI.
It will then load the x64.

In reality...Few if Any of your machines should be booting x86....even if they are running a 32-bit OS.
The x86 Linux Code is VERY old....The Linux Community ceased supporting x86 kernels a number of years back.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Note: PHYSICAL Machines using BIOS will still boot x64......The VMware is just unique for the UEFI requirement.
--
0 Likes
gturcsik Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2486749 wrote:
Note: PHYSICAL Machines using BIOS will still boot x64......The VMware is just unique for the UEFI requirement.

Thanks Craig for you answer.

Do you mean that If I want to:
- use virtual machine to create the base image (VMware),
- use normal boot not efi on the restored machine,
- use MBR not GPT on the restored machine,
I cannot do it, because the virtual machine use the x86 cfg (in normal mode) and the physical machine use x64 cfg?
0 Likes
gturcsik Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can I restore with x86 tuxera from an image what created with x64 tuxera or inversely?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

In theory yes...…….
Traditionally that has never been an issue.
That does not mean I've tested it recently....

Keep in Mind x86 vs x64 has nothing to do with GPT vs MBR.
It has to do with Very Old Linux (32bit) that is no longer Supported for use with extremely old hardware that does not support ANY SUPPORTED version of Linux
vs
Current Versions of Linux that should operate on virtually any Desktop/Laptop/(Intel Based Tablet) you own. (Devices From 2010 or Older may need the x86)

The issue comes in with VMware detecting itself as needing to boot the x86 when really you want all your devices on x64.
Changing VMware to UEFI, as I initially suggested, may not work if you want to make an MBR Image.

Tweaking both CFG files to point to the x64 files may work...unlikely you have any actual hardware that booting to the x86 branch....
The VMware stuff is just a little flakey in its detection....
The reason is the all Normal Devices from about 2011 onwards, have shipped with UEFI (not BIOS) that runs or can run in Emulation Mode.
ZCM detects this and boots the x64.

VMware Emulates True Bios and True UEFI not (UEFI in Emulation mode and UEFI in Non-Emulation Mode).
So the imaging engine views the "BIOS" was a Circa 2010 (or older) style device....

gturcsik;2486838 wrote:
Can I restore with x86 tuxera from an image what created with x64 tuxera or inversely?
--
0 Likes
gturcsik Absent Member.
Absent Member.

After I used vmware unsuccesfully I tested virtualbox. Virtualbox can load and use the x64 cfg imaging environment.

Thank you for your answer and help Craig.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.