Novell Service Desk - Creating Custom Reports using Pentaho Report Designer (versions 3.8.3 GA & 5.0.1)
As most of you know, Novell Service Desk
- has inbuilt reporting capabilities that enables users to generate management reports from the captured record details. It provides a graphical snapshot of the overall performance of the Service Desk and its Users
- also provides the capacity to build simple custom reports using the internal system report builder without requiring in-depth knowledge of the database schema
The intent of this cool solution is to provide you with few basic steps on using Pentaho Report Designer, version 3.8.3 GA or version 5.0.1 for creating customized reports outside of the service desk product.
I have specifically called out at places where the steps differ for these two Pentaho versions. In general majority of the steps are similar for both the versions.
- Entity Relationship document: Before you start creating customized reports through Pentaho, I encourage you to refer Novell Service Desk’s Entity relationship details document to understand the key tables and table relationships
- You have the Novell Service Desk database details - host name/IP address, port, database name, and database credentials
- You have installed Pentaho Report Designer version 3.8.3 GA or version 5.0.1
Environment & Drivers: For the purpose of this example, I am using Novell Service Desk 7.0.3 virtual appliance and the internal postgresql database.
Steps: The Novell Service Desk Reporting with Pentaho document has detailed steps on creating & designing a simple report.