bkesting Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.
2331 views

8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

I have a SLES 11 SP4 virtual machine running eDir 8.8.8. I took a snapshot of the system and then proceeded to install the 9.0 upgrade and then applied the 9.1 upgrade after that. The installation seemed to have went well and eDir seems to have started, but when I run ndsstat I get a response on the command line about "Signature File Not Found" at the instance of my nds.conf file. And then it tells me my command was aborted. NDSD service shows as running, but does not seem to be taking any authentication requests from my Groupwise system anymore.

I used my snapshot to revert back to 8.8.8 and everything is working fine again. What am I missing? Server health checks seem to have passed.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
29 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: 8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

Could you paste the command you ran and everything leading up to the
error? I do not recognize that message, but having more context may help
us narrow it down.

You and yours have not been doing weird things with eDirectory libraries,
have you? The following thread describes a time somebody had done some
bad symlinking which resulted in a similar error in ndsd.log and which was
resolved by cleaning up those bad symlinks.

https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/503993

Perhaps some are left over in your case, or perhaps libraries are found
some other way. Did you reboot your box after the upgrade? It is not
necessary, but I still wonder.

Also, could you please list the files in /etc/ld.so.conf.d on your system
after the upgrade is complete? I wonder if you have the old/bad ntls.conf
in there, or other files that cause newer versions of eDirectory problems.


--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.
0 Likes
bkesting Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: 8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

ab;2480393 wrote:
Could you paste the command you ran and everything leading up to the
error? I do not recognize that message, but having more context may help
us narrow it down.

You and yours have not been doing weird things with eDirectory libraries,
have you? The following thread describes a time somebody had done some
bad symlinking which resulted in a similar error in ndsd.log and which was
resolved by cleaning up those bad symlinks.

https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/503993

Perhaps some are left over in your case, or perhaps libraries are found
some other way. Did you reboot your box after the upgrade? It is not
necessary, but I still wonder.

Also, could you please list the files in /etc/ld.so.conf.d on your system
after the upgrade is complete? I wonder if you have the old/bad ntls.conf
in there, or other files that cause newer versions of eDirectory problems.


--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.


I have not messed with any libraries at all.

All I did was:

1) Downloaded eDir 9.0
2) tar -zxvf edir9.0.tgz
3) ./nds-install
4) exported the variables as is listed at the end of the install (i.e. PATH, MANPATH, TEXTDOMAINDIR)

It shows as upgrade complete, but when I run ndsstat I get the line about the Signature File. I originally thought maybe there was a bug with the 9.0 install, so I went ahead and applied the 9.1 patch, doing the same as above and same error shows. If I try to run "ndsconfig upgrade" I get the same message about the Signature File
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: 8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

K, let's find out about that ntls.conf file. It is probably there from
your 8.x install. Delete it when upgrading and then run ldconfig as root:


sudo ldconfig



--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.
0 Likes
bkesting Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: 8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

ab;2480410 wrote:
K, let's find out about that ntls.conf file. It is probably there from
your 8.x install. Delete it when upgrading and then run ldconfig as root:


sudo ldconfig



--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.


So you are suggesting I delete ntls.conf from inside /etc/ld.so.conf.d before I attempt the upgrade? The only thing inside ntls.conf is "/opt/novell/lib64"

I probably won't get a chance to get back to this until later this weekend or first part of next week.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: 8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

Before the upgrade, after the upgrade, whatever. I'd probably do it
after, or during (as the RPMs are installing in a second terminal or
something), but either way its existence in eDirectory 9.x is a
known/reported bug.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.
0 Likes
bkesting Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: 8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

So I removed the ntls.conf file and then proceeded with the 8.8.8 to 9.0 upgrade. It shows upgrade completed and I can start ndsd service. But when I run "ndsstat" I get:

[1] Instance at /etc/opt/novell/eDirectory/conf/nds.conf: server.O=tree
Signature file not found
Aborted
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: 8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

That error makes me think the problem has not really changed. Is it safe
to assume you ran ldconfig along with the ntls.conf file removal? I
wonder if running ldconfig -v (as 'root') will give us some output about
which files are found.

Another thing we could try is to point chkbin (which comes from the
supportutils package) at ndsstat to see what it finds as shared libraries.
Its output ends up under /var/log as I recall, and is usually just a page
or two of text that you can post in here for comparison with others' systems.



--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.
0 Likes
bkesting Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: 8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

ab;2480634 wrote:
That error makes me think the problem has not really changed. Is it safe
to assume you ran ldconfig along with the ntls.conf file removal? I
wonder if running ldconfig -v (as 'root') will give us some output about
which files are found.

Another thing we could try is to point chkbin (which comes from the
supportutils package) at ndsstat to see what it finds as shared libraries.
Its output ends up under /var/log as I recall, and is usually just a page
or two of text that you can post in here for comparison with others' systems.



--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.


I forgot to run ldconfig after removing ntls.conf. I'll try to do that again tomorrow and post the results.
0 Likes
bkesting Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: 8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

Attempted again and this time ran 'ldconfig' after removing ntls.conf file. Same error as above.
0 Likes
mhonkoop1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

i have run into similar issues with upgrading to eDir 9.0.4 .. in the end i found out that the issue was due to the libssl and libcrypto files inside /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/

My situation was an upgrade from eDirectory 8.8.8 Patch 11 to eDir 9.0.4
- running the upgrade resulted in a successfull install of the packages but the ndsconfig upgrade part ( which should be followed by the install of new packages) never took place.
- logs showed error 'signature file not found'
- triggering ndsconfig upgrade afterwards spawned the 'Signature file not found' error

As the normal home of the two libraries should be /opt/novell/lib64/* ( cross-checked with other boxes ) i cannnot explain the presence of these libraries in /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/
Next to that in /opt/novell/lib64/* there is a checksum file, which i assume is read when eDirectory is trying to access when ssl-library is used.

My crude solve for now ( a SR has been submitted) was :

- make a backup dir in /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/
- move the libssl.so and libcrypto.so in /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/ to the backup dir (just for the sake i tend to not delete stuff, but backup so i can revert easily)
- copy the libssl.so and libcrypto.so from /opt/novell/lib64//to /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/
- copy the checksum file ( openssl_checksum.txt) from /opt/novell/lib64/to the same directory (/opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/)

Running ndsconfig upgrade after this enabled me to successfully run the upgrade and havbe a runnig situation of the new version of eDirectory.

i hope my approach might get you upgraded, nevertheless its still being processed in a SR

- Michael
0 Likes
bkesting Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: 8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

mhonkoop;2481193 wrote:
i have run into similar issues with upgrading to eDir 9.0.4 .. in the end i found out that the issue was due to the libssl and libcrypto files inside /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/

My situation was an upgrade from eDirectory 8.8.8 Patch 11 to eDir 9.0.4
- running the upgrade resulted in a successfull install of the packages but the ndsconfig upgrade part ( which should be followed by the install of new packages) never took place.
- logs showed error 'signature file not found'
- triggering ndsconfig upgrade afterwards spawned the 'Signature file not found' error

As the normal home of the two libraries should be /opt/novell/lib64/* ( cross-checked with other boxes ) i cannnot explain the presence of these libraries in /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/
Next to that in /opt/novell/lib64/* there is a checksum file, which i assume is read when eDirectory is trying to access when ssl-library is used.

My crude solve for now ( a SR has been submitted) was :

- make a backup dir in /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/
- move the libssl.so and libcrypto.so in /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/ to the backup dir (just for the sake i tend to not delete stuff, but backup so i can revert easily)
- copy the libssl.so and libcrypto.so from /opt/novell/lib64//to /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/
- copy the checksum file ( openssl_checksum.txt) from /opt/novell/lib64/to the same directory (/opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/)

Running ndsconfig upgrade after this enabled me to successfully run the upgrade and havbe a runnig situation of the new version of eDirectory.

i hope my approach might get you upgraded, nevertheless its still being processed in a SR

- Michael


Thank you for this information. I will test this in the next few days and let you know the outcome!
0 Likes
bkesting Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: 8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

mhonkoop;2481193 wrote:
i have run into similar issues with upgrading to eDir 9.0.4 .. in the end i found out that the issue was due to the libssl and libcrypto files inside /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/

My situation was an upgrade from eDirectory 8.8.8 Patch 11 to eDir 9.0.4
- running the upgrade resulted in a successfull install of the packages but the ndsconfig upgrade part ( which should be followed by the install of new packages) never took place.
- logs showed error 'signature file not found'
- triggering ndsconfig upgrade afterwards spawned the 'Signature file not found' error

As the normal home of the two libraries should be /opt/novell/lib64/* ( cross-checked with other boxes ) i cannnot explain the presence of these libraries in /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/
Next to that in /opt/novell/lib64/* there is a checksum file, which i assume is read when eDirectory is trying to access when ssl-library is used.

My crude solve for now ( a SR has been submitted) was :

- make a backup dir in /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/
- move the libssl.so and libcrypto.so in /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/ to the backup dir (just for the sake i tend to not delete stuff, but backup so i can revert easily)
- copy the libssl.so and libcrypto.so from /opt/novell/lib64//to /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/
- copy the checksum file ( openssl_checksum.txt) from /opt/novell/lib64/to the same directory (/opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64/)

Running ndsconfig upgrade after this enabled me to successfully run the upgrade and havbe a runnig situation of the new version of eDirectory.

i hope my approach might get you upgraded, nevertheless its still being processed in a SR

- Michael


I installed eDir 9.0, however the only place I have libssl.so and libcrypto.so are under my Groupwise directories. I don't have either file in /opt/novell/lib64 or /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64
0 Likes
mhonkoop1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

bkesting;2481322 wrote:
I installed eDir 9.0, however the only place I have libssl.so and libcrypto.so are under my Groupwise directories. I don't have either file in /opt/novell/lib64 or /opt/novell/eDirectory/lib64


Your combo in GroupWise and eDir is a combo i dont have, however eDir should hold a copy of libssl.so and libcrypto.so, together with a checksum-file (as that is what the whole error seems to be about)

what does your install log say of the eDir upgrade ?
0 Likes
mhonkoop1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 8.8 to 9.1 Upgrade Issue

mhonkoop;2481507 wrote:
Your combo in GroupWise and eDir is a combo i dont have, however eDir should hold a copy of libssl.so and libcrypto.so, together with a checksum-file (as that is what the whole error seems to be about)

what does your install log say of the eDir upgrade ?


i have traced a bit further, the package novell-ntls-<version> should install the libssl.so and libcrypto.so in :


rpm -qlp novell-ntls-9.0.4-0.x86_64.rpm
/opt/novell/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
/opt/novell/lib64/libntls.so
/opt/novell/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0
/opt/novell/lib64/openssl_checksum.txt
/opt/novell/lib64/openssl_checksum.txt.asc


Can you verify if this package is installed ?


rpm -qa | grep novell-ntls


- If its not present i would suggest installing it.
- if its present i suggest a forced reinstall ( rpm -Uvh <rpm> --force> )

In normal circumstances this should put the required eDir files in the correct spot.

If not then i'll have to look into it further.

- Michael
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.