fp_idmworks Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

9.1.3 -- ndsrepair break structure / index

repair will show a lot of error 69 messages
ldap searches returning more than one user fail

be careful in running ndsrepair -R until we know the root cause and if it might break your system

I have not checked this on other systems. A customer saw it, I was able to reproduce it.

Are others seeing this? Is this a reported bug? Is there a field test file?

I will be opening a ticket, and my customer has a ticket open but wanted to raise a flag that if this is as prevalent as we were able to see it may be a major issue.

Initial find was when we had 618 errors after a power failure. Ran a ndsrepair -U that wouldn't repair itself, just hung. Tried a -R instead, that generated the errors. Initially thought it was related to the given customer's issue, but when running it on my newly patched box, I too had the errors and symptoms.

If someone can reproduce it please report it. Just snapshot before you try. I was also able to reproduce it with a ndsrepair -R -i yes. So it seems to be specific to the structure and index.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
AutomaticReply Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: 9.1.3 -- ndsrepair break structure / index

fp,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

These forums are peer-to-peer, best effort, volunteer run and that if your issue
is urgent or not getting a response, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit https://www.microfocus.com/support-and-services and search the knowledgebase and/or check
all the other self support options and support programs available.
- Open a service request: https://www.microfocus.com/support
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.microfocus.com)
- You might consider hiring a local partner to assist you.
https://www.partnernetprogram.com/partnerfinder/find.html

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.microfocus.com/faq.php

Sometimes this automatic posting will alert someone that can respond.

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting or otherwise posted in error, please
ignore and accept our apologies and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand
to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Micro Focus Forums Team
http://forums.microfocus.com

0 Likes
pborenich Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Hi fp,

we ran in to a similar problem at a customer site with an IDM Installation based on component versions of the current 4.7 SP2 release.
The customer upgraded from eDirectory 9.1.2 to 9.1.3 without any troubles. But then we observed the following behaviour:

After the upgrade the indexes/compound indexes seemed to be broken. The searches from IDM Identity Apps stopped working/returned no results. These utilize compound indexes, which seemed to be broken directly after the Upgrade to 9.1.3, hence no results were returned.

The customer then ran ndsrepair -R -i on the eDirectory boxes which produced the described error messages. After the ndsrepair the errors seemed to be resolved. But now searches encompassing more than one object in the result set completely fail, returning no results.

Did you get any specific information from support on how to resolve this issue, at best without having to restore a previous snapshot/backup?

We will also open an SR here.

Thank you and best regards,
Philipp
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

pborenich <pborenich@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:
>

> We will also open an SR here.
>

Suggest you do that.

What worked for us (at least in one environment) was to temporarily
disable IDM layer (unload dirxml) then rebuild the compound indexes that
identity apps uses. Wait until indexes are built and then re-enable the IDM
layer.
Alex McHugh - Knowledge Partner - Stavanger, Norway
Who are the Knowledge Partners
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
pborenich Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Hi Alex,

thanks for your reply.

We took a similar approach:
We deleted and rebuilt the compound indexes via ndsindex. Additionally, we rebuilt the other indexes as well, but I’m not sure whether this was necessary. After that, all the searches/queries worked again as expected, including the ones from the IdentityApps.

Best regards,
Philipp
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

fp_IDMWORKS;2497885 wrote:
repair will show a lot of error 69 messages
ldap searches returning more than one user fail

be careful in running ndsrepair -R until we know the root cause and if it might break your system

I have not checked this on other systems. A customer saw it, I was able to reproduce it.

Are others seeing this? Is this a reported bug? Is there a field test file?

I will be opening a ticket, and my customer has a ticket open but wanted to raise a flag that if this is as prevalent as we were able to see it may be a major issue.

Initial find was when we had 618 errors after a power failure. Ran a ndsrepair -U that wouldn't repair itself, just hung. Tried a -R instead, that generated the errors. Initially thought it was related to the given customer's issue, but when running it on my newly patched box, I too had the errors and symptoms.

If someone can reproduce it please report it. Just snapshot before you try. I was also able to reproduce it with a ndsrepair -R -i yes. So it seems to be specific to the structure and index.

I've seen two very different -618 errors, and it's not clear from your post which one you have here.

Are you seeing -618 and the DIB won't open? I've seen that happen, and the results for me have always been that the DIB is broken beyond any hope of repair, it's time to start the disaster recovery plan and recover the dead box from however you planned to recover it.

Or are you seeing -618 errors on single objects? I've seen that with objects like Groups where the object references a DN that no longer exists. That can be repaired with a single object repair.

Never, ever, run "ndsrepair -U". Please stop doing that.

"ndsrepair -R" should fix most things, but not a -618 on a DIB that won't open. At least not in my experience.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

There is a patch out regarding index and repair for edir 9.1.3:
https://dl.netiq.com/Download?buildid=-BE3rERu1G4~
It might be worth looking at.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.