Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Announcing Deprecation of iManager

With eDirectory 9.2, we introduced a beta tool called Identity Console;

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/forums/filteredbylabelpage/board-id/eDir_Discussions/label-name/identity%20console

The plan was to get feedback on this new administrative tool so we can avoid any challenges when we deprecate iManager support. Our progress in meeting feature parity for Identity Console will complete by end of this year. With that in mind, our target to deprecate support for iManager will be Q1 of 2021 in favor of Identity Console. Any feedback you have related to user experience, features, etc... would be appreciated prior to Q1 2021 so that we can ensure a seamless cut-over to the new administrative tool.

Labels (1)
29 Replies
Admiral
Admiral

I believe, it is not a bad idea to replace iManager by something new - it did it duty for quite some time now 😉

But I believe ass well, it might not be such a great idea to offer a container based deployment of identity console only - please offer a standard deployment as well!!

In addition to the standard installation it would be more than welcome to have a supported "workstation" installation for MacOS as well 😉

Kind regards,

Thorsten

Commodore
Commodore

I agree completely. By all, 6 month to depreciate support for an admin interface is a tough schedule...

Today in most customer environments I don't see docker close to the hands of the IAM Admins or being part of IAM projects.

Steffen

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The requirements, prior to deprecating iManager, will be feature parity and standalone install (non-container). We will have a standard install available before we deprecate.

Commodore
Commodore

That Sound Great. Looking forward to get my hands on it
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

How will Identity Console support plugins and customized pages?
Is there a way to migrate existing plugins to Identity Console?
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I do not think there is anyway to use old plugins from iManager in the new Identity Console. Alas.

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Thanks for answering geoffc.
Do you know if IDM will be managed through identity console? Couldn't find any reference in the documentation.
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

On plugins, you will have the same capability to customize tasks similar to plugins using the backend REST calls. The goal is to simplify and make this easier. Geoffrey is correct, however, that it will not be a direct conversion from plugin in iManager to Task in IDConsole.

We are introducing Identity Console in a phased approach. The 1.2 release will include several new tasks including password policy mgmnt and IDM management. The end goal will be to achieve feature compatibility for tasks that should exist in an online tool.

Commander
Commander

Will iManager still be supported for the lifecycle of the products it shipped with. Or is this a mid cycle deprecation?  Is it being deprecated for all directory management or for just the Identity Components? 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@Mark G

Yes, we have recently modified the lifecycle to extend it out through September 2021 in anticipation of having both products supported until the 2 overarching requirements of Feature Parity and Standalone install are completed. At that time, iManager will be deprecated.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Identity Console 1.2 is GA;

https://download.microfocus.com/Download?buildid=DTModbymh30~

This release adds more features (not full feature parity yet) including some IDM administration tasks.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.