Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Create Server Certificates with DNS Name

Jump to solution

Is there a way to create server certificates with a DNS name.  In iManager it only allows me to add a nickname and select the server.

Our developers would like this if possible.

I have looked and am not finding how to do this.

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On creation, in step 1, select "Custom" as "Creation Method". This will allow you to enter virtually anything as "subject" and "subjct alternative names".

If you like it: like it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Knowledge Partner

Do you mean the Subject name should be cn=server.acme.com ?

Or do you mean a Subject Alternate Name, which is usually what is required?

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

They want to use a DNS name which already exists.  Such as ldap.xxx.com.

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I might add, we have this working in one environment with no special certificate.  ldap_xxx_xx_xx.com

They now have an app that will not support underscores.  I can't understand why it's not working for them when the underscore name is with no special cert other than the default server certs.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Again, where do you want the DNS name? In which field?

Subject name?

Subject Alternate Name?

Both are valid, and used differently.

Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I'm not sure I know the differences between Subject Name and Subject Alternative Name.

I know there application points to the dns name which can't use the underscore.  This is why they created a new DNS name without underscores.  They are the ones who told me a new cert with the DNS name is needed.  I'm only now trying to figure out how to do this.

And it's odd the other environment can use the DNS name with underscores.  This is a great mystery so far!!

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

On creation, in step 1, select "Custom" as "Creation Method". This will allow you to enter virtually anything as "subject" and "subjct alternative names".

If you like it: like it.

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.