Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
922 views

Did the GUID format change with Edir 9(.1)?

In all my Edir 9.1 trees Apache Studio is unable to decode the object GUIDs and
display it as a readable string (e.g. "f654546b-7520-7f4b-6993-f654546b7520")
anymore, it only displays "Invalid UUID".

This is reproducible with all Edir 9.1 trees at hand (several of my IDM dev
trees and some customer trees) and several copies of Apache Studio (M13 and M14
running on Windows and Mac with Java 8u181 and 10.0.1). GUIDs are properly
decoded for all Edir 8.8 trees at hand by the exact same Apache Studio
instances.

This leads me to the assumption that the way GUIDs are presented over LDAP or
the format of GUIDs in Edir 9.1 in general must have changed. I see this with
the "LDAP Agent for NetIQ eDirectory 9.1.1 (40102.33)".

Can anyone confirm this?

--
http://www.is4it.de/en/solution/identity-access-management/

(If you find this post helpful, please click on the star below.)
Labels (1)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Did the GUID format change with Edir 9(.1)?

On 2018-10-25 11:30, Lothar Haeger wrote:
> In all my Edir 9.1 trees Apache Studio is unable to decode the object GUIDs and
> display it as a readable string (e.g. "f654546b-7520-7f4b-6993-f654546b7520")
> anymore, it only displays "Invalid UUID".
>
> This is reproducible with all Edir 9.1 trees at hand (several of my IDM dev
> trees and some customer trees) and several copies of Apache Studio (M13 and M14
> running on Windows and Mac with Java 8u181 and 10.0.1). GUIDs are properly
> decoded for all Edir 8.8 trees at hand by the exact same Apache Studio
> instances.
>
> This leads me to the assumption that the way GUIDs are presented over LDAP or
> the format of GUIDs in Edir 9.1 in general must have changed. I see this with
> the "LDAP Agent for NetIQ eDirectory 9.1.1 (40102.33)".
>
> Can anyone confirm this?
>

Can't reproduce.
Apache Studio 2.0.0.v20180908-M14 on Windows 10 1809
jre1.8.0_181
LDAP Agent for NetIQ eDirectory 9.1.1 (40102.33)


--
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Did the GUID format change with Edir 9(.1)?

Lothar Haeger wrote:

> In all my Edir 9.1 trees Apache Studio is unable to decode the object GUIDs
> and display it as a readable string (e.g.
> "f654546b-7520-7f4b-6993-f654546b7520") anymore, it only displays "Invalid
> UUID".
>


But is it only changed for new objects?
If this is changed for existing objects.

> This leads me to the assumption that the way GUIDs are presented over LDAP or
> the format of GUIDs in Edir 9.1 in general must have changed. I see this with
> the "LDAP Agent for NetIQ eDirectory 9.1.1 (40102.33)".


How about the IDM/ECMASCript that can convert the binary representation to
readable string. Does that work any better?
If that doesn't work, this might definitely cause some issues for some
environments.

--
If you find this post helpful, and are viewing this using the web, please show
your appreciation by clicking on the star below
Alex McHugh - Knowledge Partner - Stavanger, Norway
Who are the Knowledge Partners
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Did the GUID format change with Edir 9(.1)?

lhaeger;2489467 wrote:
In all my Edir 9.1 trees Apache Studio is unable to decode the object GUIDs and
display it as a readable string (e.g. "f654546b-7520-7f4b-6993-f654546b7520")
anymore, it only displays "Invalid UUID".

This is reproducible with all Edir 9.1 trees at hand (several of my IDM dev
trees and some customer trees) and several copies of Apache Studio (M13 and M14
running on Windows and Mac with Java 8u181 and 10.0.1). GUIDs are properly
decoded for all Edir 8.8 trees at hand by the exact same Apache Studio
instances.

This leads me to the assumption that the way GUIDs are presented over LDAP or
the format of GUIDs in Edir 9.1 in general must have changed. I see this with
the "LDAP Agent for NetIQ eDirectory 9.1.1 (40102.33)".

Can anyone confirm this?

--
http://www.is4it.de/en/solution/identity-access-management/

(If you find this post helpful, please click on the star below.)


I see this with the latest Apache Directory Studio, even when working with eDir 8.8. I don't think you're seeing anything new in eDir 9.x there.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Did the GUID format change with Edir 9(.1)?

>
> I see this with the latest Apache Directory Studio, even when working
> with eDir 8.8. I don't think you're seeing anything new in eDir 9.x
> there.


So are you saying you think the change is in how Apache displays it,
versus how eDir represents it? (I am unclear from your response.)


0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Did the GUID format change with Edir 9(.1)?

geoffc;2489920 wrote:
>
> I see this with the latest Apache Directory Studio, even when working
> with eDir 8.8. I don't think you're seeing anything new in eDir 9.x
> there.


So are you saying you think the change is in how Apache displays it,
versus how eDir represents it? (I am unclear from your response.)


Correct. I don't think eDir changed. I think ADS changed, possibly it's a bug. But the faster startup of the new version is of greater value to me than GUID display, so I haven't really looked at it much.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Did the GUID format change with Edir 9(.1)?

dgersic wrote:

> Correct. I don't think eDir changed. I think ADS changed.


https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1199 suggests you're right.


--
http://www.is4it.de/en/solution/identity-access-management/

(If you find this post helpful, please click on the star below.)
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Did the GUID format change with Edir 9(.1)?

Lothar Haeger wrote:

> dgersic wrote:
>
> > Correct. I don't think eDir changed. I think ADS changed.

>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1199 suggests you're right.


Dug a little deepen an it seems that a change in the Apache LDAP API is causing
this. switch any connection from the Apache API to JNDI and GUID gets displayed
properly again, regardles off Edir version.

Side note: JNDI can only be used with Java 8, it's disabled with Java 9 or
higher due to some API change in the current JNDI versions.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Did the GUID format change with Edir 9(.1)?

On 2018-11-02 09:52, Lothar Haeger wrote:
> dgersic wrote:
>
>> Correct. I don't think eDir changed. I think ADS changed.

>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1199 suggests you're right.
>
>

I've come across a number of bugs in the Apache API across the years,
too bad they are forcing it as a default now!

--
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Did the GUID format change with Edir 9(.1)?

alekz;2490092 wrote:
On 2018-11-02 09:52, Lothar Haeger wrote:
> dgersic wrote:
>
>> Correct. I don't think eDir changed. I think ADS changed.

>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1199 suggests you're right.
>
>

I've come across a number of bugs in the Apache API across the years,
too bad they are forcing it as a default now!

--
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.


Side note: JNDI can only be used with Java 8, it's disabled with Java 9 or higher due to some API change in the current JNDI versions.


Many of these bugs related to changes in Java system and I'm realy lost in contradictory Java directions...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Did the GUID format change with Edir 9(.1)?

On 2018-11-04 19:14, al b wrote:
> Many of these bugs related to changes in Java system and I'm realy lost
> in contradictory Java directions...

I'm not sure I agree that bugs in the Apache LDAP API are because of
changes in Java 🙂

--
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Did the GUID format change with Edir 9(.1)?

Lothar Haeger,

> In all my Edir 9.1 trees Apache Studio is unable to decode the object GUIDs and
> display it as a readable string (e.g. "f654546b-7520-7f4b-6993-f654546b7520")
> anymore, it only displays "Invalid UUID".
>
> This is reproducible with all Edir 9.1 trees at hand (several of my IDM dev
> trees and some customer trees) and several copies of Apache Studio (M13 and M14
> running on Windows and Mac with Java 8u181 and 10.0.1). GUIDs are properly
> decoded for all Edir 8.8 trees at hand by the exact same Apache Studio
> instances.
>
> This leads me to the assumption that the way GUIDs are presented over LDAP or
> the format of GUIDs in Edir 9.1 in general must have changed. I see this with
> the "LDAP Agent for NetIQ eDirectory 9.1.1 (40102.33)".
>
> Can anyone confirm this?
>

I see the same issue using Apache Directory Studio M14 with eDirectory
9.04. I don't know if it existed before I introduced eDir 9 to my
environment, as I no longer have an eDirectory 8.8.x tree to test against.

For what it's worth, DirStudio M14 also refuses to display objectGUID
and objectSID values in Active Directory. They are shown as invalid for
all user objects.


Doug
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Did the GUID format change with Edir 9(.1)?

6423241 wrote:

> I see the same issue using Apache Directory Studio M14 with eDirectory 9.04.
> I don't know if it existed before I introduced eDir 9 to my environment, as I
> no longer have an eDirectory 8.8.x tree to test against.
>
> For what it's worth, DirStudio M14 also refuses to display objectGUID and
> objectSID values in Active Directory. They are shown as invalid for all user
> objects.


This issue has been identified as a problem with the Directory API version used
in Studio M14. Switch your connections to use JNDI (which only works with Java
8, not 9+) and GUID, objectSID etc. will be shown as usual again. See Apache
JIRA link in above post for more details and progress made to fix this.

--
http://www.is4it.de/en/solution/identity-access-management/

(If you find this post helpful, please click on the star below.)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.