Highlighted
spashia Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Error -611 When Moving Users to new OU

I'm trying to migrate users from an OU with its own partition to another partition in Imanager. When moving users from one partition to the other, we get a -611 error. I've never seen this before and can't seem to find much info on it online.

(Error -611) An attempt to create an object violated containment rules.

I thought maybe it had something to do with the partitions so I attempted to just merge the partition to the root partition , but got a -637 error.

(Error -637) After an object has been moved from one context in the tree to another, the Directory database will not allow that object to be moved again until all replicas of that object have been updated.

As far as I know, nobody has has made any changes in the tree for a long time. We've been doing this process ever summer for years and have never had any issues.

I ran ndsrepair -U on all of our replica servers and they are all reporting 0 errors. Any ideas?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
spashia Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Error -611 When Moving Users to new OU

Ok, I'm not sure what "fixed" it, but I was finally able to merge the partition and we can now move users. All I did was run ndsrepair -U, ndsrepair -T and ndsrepair -E a couple more times on each server. I'm not sure what was hung up.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Error -611 When Moving Users to new OU

Containment rules are defined for every object class. Some types of
objects cannot go in certain other types of objects. For example, an
Organization cannot go inside an 'Organizational Unit', though the other
direction is allowed. A user cannot go directly under the root of the
tree, though it can go in many other types of containers (domain,
Organization, 'Organizational Unit', etc.).

The -611 means you are trying to put a user where it cannot go. Have you
tried just creating a user in that target context to see if that works?
If it does, then find out how the created user and the to-be-moved users
differ in terms of their object class.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.