Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Novell edirectory - Types of Passwords

Hi,

I am fairly new to LDAP and hence to Novell e-directory. The use case I am trying to implement is as follows -
1. Change the password of a user through Admin
2. Check if the password of the user has been changed by Admin. If yes, perform XYZ

The attribute for user password in Novell is userPassword which can be set easily. However, does having different types of password change the way the 2nd step will be performed? For example, for Universal Password, I will need to check the password policy while for NDS Password, I will check the passwordExpirationTime and so on. Is this true? Or is there a single way to perform the 2nd step?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Novell edirectory - Types of Passwords

If your Universal Password (UP) policy is set in a default way regarding
the admin password reset causing expiration, the passwordExpiratinoTime
value will be set to the present (vs. 1992-01-01) when the admin resets
the password, so you can check that attribute for a value <= now() in
either case. The only exception is if you change the policy to NOT expire
the password when reset by an admin, which I would not recommend.
Checking the password policy itself, in any case, is not going to help you
as nothing on the policy will indicate whether or not a specific user's
password has been reset by an admin as that information will always be on
the user object.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.