rhettplace Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Remove Dead Windows Servers from eDirectory Tree

I have two Windows servers that crashed and are not recoverable. I need to remove them from eDirectory replication. All eDir instances are 8.8.8 on Windows 2012 R2.

When I attempt to remove them using iManager Partition and Replica Management -> Replica View I get, "(Error-637)After an object has been moved from one context in the tree to another, the Directory database will not allow that object to be moved again until all replicas of that object have been updated."

When I attempt to remove them using NDSCons/dsrepair, there is no option for "Remove Server from Replica Ring" as instructed in this TID: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7003130

Fortunately, neither server held the master replica so I wouldn't think that it should be this difficult. I'm looking for any suggestions to either remedy the -637 error or another way to purge the dead servers.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Remove Dead Windows Servers from eDirectory Tree

You should be able to just delete the server objects from the tree using
iManager or ConsoleOne.

Once the server objects have been deleted, the replica rings should come
back clean.

The only time this might not work well is if the only copies of the
server objects are on the crashed server.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Remove Dead Windows Servers from eDirectory Tree

hendersj;2477935 wrote:
You should be able to just delete the server objects from the tree using
iManager or ConsoleOne.

Once the server objects have been deleted, the replica rings should come back clean.

The only time this might not work well is if the only copies of the
server objects are on the crashed server.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

Jim absolutely right!
It is no differences, what operation system hosted eDirectory.
You have to remove crashed server.

We have number of TIDs, that provide details about this process.
For example, https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3338221
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.