Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Resize OU attribute

Jump to solution

Hello,

As far I see, the OU attribute is a sized string with maximum length of 64 characters. Unfortunately the name of the organisation units of our company is way longer. As far as I know there is no way to modify an existing attribute. It has to be deleted and recreated with the new parameters. Also attributes of the base schema cannot be deleted at all. I assume OU is part of the base schema, because it has a non removable flag. Is there any other way to resize this attribute?

As a workaround I can map the attribute in ldap schema mapping to a custom created bigger one.

Regards,

Gellért

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

There is a way to modify base schema. I do NOT usually recommend it.

In LDAP a modify of a schema attribute, when done as a delete and add in the same operation will do what you want. However I would suggest it is a bad idea.

Anyway you can use Description to hold your long names? And as you say, remap in LDAP...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner

There is a way to modify base schema. I do NOT usually recommend it.

In LDAP a modify of a schema attribute, when done as a delete and add in the same operation will do what you want. However I would suggest it is a bad idea.

Anyway you can use Description to hold your long names? And as you say, remap in LDAP...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Also, I almost forgot, I think there is an absolute length of a DN limit in eDir as well, 256 Chars?  Not sure if it counts the ou= part or not.  So long names are not the greatest idea.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello geoffc,

thank you for the reply. You convinced me not to modify the schema. I'll modify the ldap attribute mapping instead.

Regards,

Gellert

Knowledge Partner

One of the really nice things about the eDir LDAP server is that ability to simply remap things. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.