Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Safely remove server from tree

Jump to solution

Hi

I have stuck obits, And realized they are caused by decommisioned server.

How to safely remove decommissioned server from a Tree?

I'm unable to access the following TID.  I get http error 500

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7009070

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

It all depends on whether the server in question is all gone (i.e. totally broken, cannot get brought up again) or not.

If it's "dead and gone" you'd simply delete the ncp server object (i.e. "object class: ncp server", "cn=(likely) name of the server in question") e.g. with ConsoleOne or iManager (Directory Administraton -> Delete Object"). In an otherwise healthy tree this will clean up rings and a bunch of the related objects. Other stuff (e.g. certificate objects a.s.o.) will have to be wiped manually afterwards (for cleanup reasons). Note that if the box has been  master for a replica, CA holder, the only SDI Key Server or holder of another "special" or unique role, you'd have to take care of that before.

If the server is still up and running and "just" has to be retired you can do so via "ndsconfig rm" (on the to-be -retired box itself, of course), but the cleanup rules still apply. If it e.g. currently holds the master replica of a partition, you'd have to designate another box for this role. If it's the CA server, you should REALLY export the CA BEFORE removing the server, a.s.o...

More things to do if the leaving server runs IDM.

If you like it: like it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Is it safe to run,

ndsconfig rm -a N=users.OU=Services.OU=Cluster.OU=Loaction.O=Company

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

If it's just about resuming processing of stuck obits it'll be enough to just wipe the corresponding NCP server object from the tree. Assuming that it allready passed away...

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
How would I go about doing that?
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

It all depends on whether the server in question is all gone (i.e. totally broken, cannot get brought up again) or not.

If it's "dead and gone" you'd simply delete the ncp server object (i.e. "object class: ncp server", "cn=(likely) name of the server in question") e.g. with ConsoleOne or iManager (Directory Administraton -> Delete Object"). In an otherwise healthy tree this will clean up rings and a bunch of the related objects. Other stuff (e.g. certificate objects a.s.o.) will have to be wiped manually afterwards (for cleanup reasons). Note that if the box has been  master for a replica, CA holder, the only SDI Key Server or holder of another "special" or unique role, you'd have to take care of that before.

If the server is still up and running and "just" has to be retired you can do so via "ndsconfig rm" (on the to-be -retired box itself, of course), but the cleanup rules still apply. If it e.g. currently holds the master replica of a partition, you'd have to designate another box for this role. If it's the CA server, you should REALLY export the CA BEFORE removing the server, a.s.o...

More things to do if the leaving server runs IDM.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thank you for replying. Obits are now successfully processed.

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Thanks for posting back.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

I would also add checking the hosts.nds file (on all replicas) and removing entries for the decomissioned server. Not sure how much it is used, but I like to remove all remnants of old replicas

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.